Like Tree0Likes

3 Manatees Found Dead In St. Johns ....

Old 06-16-2006, 09:49 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Default Re: 3 Manatees Found Dead In St. Johns ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Of course, it is "sensationalized" by stating "speeding" boats. I would expect a propellor is going to do as much damage when it strikes flesh, whether it is spinning slow or fast. Perhaps some of the "investigators" could experiment by sticking their heads into spinning props, at different RPM's, and compare the results.

Too Funny!!!!!!!

I'll supply the spinning prop!
Old 06-16-2006, 09:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
110 boats running hard, three dead manatees.................I don't think we need CSI on this one because I did see 3 sailboats out there and they must have hit them!
Sounds funny but you may not be too far off.
Recent science has proven that manatees can detect a speeding boat from up to two miles away. They can't hear a slow moving boat until it's literally on top of them. My local FFWC guy has told me that most deaths are caused by blunt trauma and not prop damage. So imagine these huge sailbote keels silently slicing through the water. Doesn't sound implausible to me. Hmmmmm.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:47 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1972 36 Cigarette

I have fished in Florida for the last 12 years and have talked at length with the different captains about the Manatee issues. There were many different statements about what is happening to them now and how the are being killed by different boats but there is only one statement about how the manatee numbers got so low in the first place.

So what caused the plight of the manatee at the beginning of the last century? In the words of an anonymous captain:

"They are SLOW, DUMB and DELICIOUS!!!!!!!"

I think that sums it up.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:35 PM
AKA NORTECHJ
Gold Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 3900 Nor-tech V

i say this is a good start....
Old 06-16-2006, 02:58 PM
Registered

If they were bound, blindfolded, and killed "execution-style" ( single shot behind the ear ), I had NOTHING to do with it .

They should IMMEDIATELY be cremated . . .
Old 06-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1991 41 Apache WarPath!!!

I dont want to sound like an uncaring soul but come on these things are natures D student, They are dumber than a bag of crap. They dookie their way into small coves and eat seagrass. After their big fat butts eat all the sea grass in that cove they dont migrate to find more so they end up starving waiting for the sea grass to regenerate.
I feel bad seeing the prop marks on them but what was said was correct, you would see a skeg line right up their back if a stern drive or outboard was the culprit.
Oh and they are so brilliant that when they see that lovely spinning prop coming in their direction they sort of have a thought process of "durrrrrrr what uhhhh ummm is that durrrrrrrrrrr" and sort of swim INTO it. Ever think the thought process of natures D student is part of the problem? Most fish and animals or sea life get scared of those stainless steel cleaver props, not" ohhh george lets swim over here and see what CHOP CHOP CHOP oh crap thats going to leave a mark george"

Oh and my friend RChevelle71 says they taste like chicken
LOL
J
Old 06-16-2006, 08:08 PM
Banned

I wouldn't put it past the SMC guys to go out and deliberately run over a couple manatees after a poker run, just to try to get them back on the endangered list, because as most of us know, they don't give a damn about the animal, they don't want powerboats interupting their serene lifestyle living on the water. If they didn't like hearing boats, they should have moved to the desert.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Banned

I've been boating in Florida since 1972, and I've seen a total of ONE dead manatee. A sheriff boat was towing it, and it was in a no wake zone it was hit in. I don't know about all your boats, but mine draws much less water on a plane. Like I said, it ain't about the animals. I have absolutely nothing against manatees, and I hate to hear of them dying, but it's just a fact of life, and I know damn well that idle zones aren't making any difference.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLANDREW
Thats terrible how many are left now??
I don't know, but Dean may remember this. One cold day this winter, they counted 182 manatees in Blue Springs alone, and it ain't that big of a spring. I'm sure half the manatees in existence weren't all there. Besides, how could they have made it to that spring, because there is a lot of non idle speed north of that spring.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:11 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1991 41 Apache WarPath!!!

It just seems a fact of life that Performance cars, boats, motorcycles just get the blame for everything even if they have nothing to do with the current situation.
Just a bad rap all around and allienation from the norm.