Notices

Cat Killer !

Old 06-20-2006, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cat Killer !

Originally Posted by the duke
The Fountain Race Boat with Pro's driving in a canopy boat are 1000 times safer than that

You are comparing apples to oranges by using that here.
My point is the Fountain "Race" Boat with "pro's" driving (as you have correctly pointed out) should be "racing" on a closed "race" course.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SHOCKWAVE
I am looking forward to returning to Chicago and see all my new friends from last year. And I think they all would like me to bring The Rio Roses back again.

Regards to all,
Rich Troppoli
Rio Roses

Now THIS is a cool post. Maybe they should have a #1 on their boat! Hey Skip, send these guys your letter and tell them why a race boat should'nt be in a Poker Run

Last edited by the duke; 06-20-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:51 PM
Registered

Well, I guess I better weigh in on the race boat thing, since I have been invited back to the Chicago Poker Run by all the great friends we made while we were there last year. After 20+ years on the circuit, I decided to take it down a notch or two and try poker running.I thought it would be fun to take the boat to no pressure events, with no politics, and just meet a lot of new people, show off my stuff and run my boat to have fun, not compete. Hell, I even stopped for lunch! Very different than racing I tell ya.... Wyatt Fountain and I ran the boat about 80-100 mph at best. We got passed many times, but couldn't care less. We were having a ball. When I was at the docks prior to leaving, I saw some of the iron these guys had and said holy crap, we're gonna get embarrassed.But it did not matter, because we did not come to race. Only to have a fun day. Our twin 750 Mercury Supercats were definitely not the largest motors there, believe me. And a bunch of the cats took off at the start, never to be seen again.
We had fun running alongside of other boats giving them a close look at a race boat with them waving and snapping pictures the whole time. I was loving it, and it wasn't about the speed. It was about being there,not having to run balls to the wall, being treated as friends by people we've never met, and getting a chance to run with a whole bunch of other boats with the same idea of having a great,relaxing, enjoyable day.
We relaxed so much that Scott Sjrogren and Wyatt and I almost went to Canada, I swear I saw a maple leaf flag, until we realized that we missed a card stop.
And a word about safety if I may....we went into the event as we go into a race. Switliks, helmets, emergency air. We had them, so why not use them. Between Wyatt and myself we probably have 40 years racing and boating, so I think we were highly qualified to bring our race boat and use it in a safe and courteous manner.It is fully insured, so don't be afraid to run next to me.Take lots of pictures, we love it. I imagine not many people get a chance to ride alongside of a World Speed record holder and Super Vee World Champion, side exhausts screaming, boat riding as if on rails.
It's all about fun. And I had a ball, and will have another one at this years Chicago Poker run. The problem (?) of having a raceboat come to your poker run is not the raceboat's problem. It does create some kind of excitement, seeing something up close that you would ordinarily not see.The real problem is the people in that raceboat and how they conduct themselves.If they think they are there to race, well,maybe they should go back to the racecourse.That's how people get hurt.
I am looking forward to returning to Chicago and see all my new friends from last year. And I think they all would like me to bring The Rio Roses back again.

Regards to all,
Rich Troppoli
Rio Roses
Rich,

Nice to hear your comments! Apparrently your builder didn't see it the same way.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by RedDog382
My point is the Fountain "Race" Boat with "pro's" driving (as you have correctly pointed out) should be "racing" on a closed "race" course.

See Rich's post. Just like him, they came to play. They just went a little faster , and bragged about it.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Registered

Talking Re: Cat Killer !

Duke,
We do have the #1 on the boat from it's previous championship- and it's staying.

Rich
Old 06-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by the duke
If Skip is right on. Then why did Skater/Cig try and set a kilo record? It was on the front page of Powerboat Mag, and all over OSO. This quote from Fountain came from there website, and any other place you see it is just a copy of that.
Skip didn't do it at a POKER RUN.
Skip did it at a santioned race the clock event on a closed course.

My description of 'stunt' was doing this at a Poker Run. How many boats did this 'stunt' at a Poker Run sell?

Reggie and Skip and Mike can do whatever they want on a closed course event in a boat vs. boat or boat vs. clock event. A boat vs. card stop speed event just does not hold any clout.

So what if you arrive at the card stop first? So what if you get to the banquet first. So you get to take your shower first at the hotel? So you get to the buffet table before the food gets set out? So you get there before the beer gets cold?

If a Nextel Cup driver shows up at the local dirt track on a whim, he does not enter his Cup car in the event that night. He puts his car on display, and has a great time doing it. Then he might whip out a dirt track car for a little class on class action.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-20-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:04 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Duke,
We do have the #1 on the boat from it's previous championship- and it's staying.

Rich
Rich, great letter about the run, what you described is the intended spirit of a poker run(in my opinion). The drum I'm beating on this is the press statement afterwards. After the tragedy at Smoke last year, noise laws, manatee zones and the worst year of hurricanes ever, I found the timing innapropriate for the sport. to me it's waving a red flag in front of the bull. Collectively we all try to have fun and run hard and party afterwards, it's the part of the sport we love, however, from the giants in the industry to the guy driving the 18-25 footer in the run, we have to make sure the public perception of us and what we do is correct.
Look at the image of Harley Davidson from the 60's/70's and what it is today....Rob
Old 06-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Registered

Duke,

Rich
Rich,

Are you of the "Shockwave" boat that had a little engine room fire in Cleveland a couple years ago?

If so, I was the med boat that tossed the extinguisher.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Registered

Well,
I owe you a great debt of thanks. My onboard extinguisher wasn't working well and we started throwing water and Gatorade on it after all my handhelds were out.I was getting ready to abandon ship when you came by with the reinforcements. And I was having a great race up till then too.....

Thanks,
Rich
Old 06-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda
Scott, btw, what do you pay a year for your Critter? Basically the same boat as Deb's, and same power.
Havent checked now that it's back together... Not looking forward to it either

Originally Posted by bluellama
Yeah that's it.....
similar power ....
Don't be scared of the small block

Quick Reply: Cat Killer !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.