Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cat Killer ! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/132933-cat-killer.html)

lucky strike 06-17-2006 05:50 PM

Re: Cat Killer !

Originally Posted by the duke
There are multiple stories. Some say that Speed Racer passed him, and then backed off to let him be first to the card stop.

Why would he do that ?

the duke 06-17-2006 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by lucky strike
Why would he do that ?

I have no idea. Just one thing I heard from some people that were there. Seems to be the same thing that "Anonymous" posted

Then Speed Racer proceeded to catch the Rio Roses... after Catching the Rio Roses boat, Speed Racer pulled aside his starboard side @ about 145mph and then he picked up his pace.. Speed Racer pulled a head of the Rio Roses and reached a speed of 174 on the gps... Right after Speed Racer reached that speed a blower belt snapped on the starboard motor... and Speed Racer was out of the competition..

eMotiondriver 06-17-2006 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by NRG
Do you think your rates went up because of a press release? Or because of Fountain? Or is it because boat claims have increased over the years?

I applaud Fountain, My rate went up from all the dumd @sses that bought cat's and killed themselves and others in the early 2000's. :eek:

lucky strike 06-17-2006 06:41 PM

I have no idea. Just one thing I heard from some people that were there. Seems to be the same thing that "Anonymous" posted

Saw Speed Racer tied to the dock at one of the card stops.

Now I know why....... Thanks....

LS

FeverMike 06-17-2006 08:14 PM

Anonymous,welcome to OSO but if you tell us who you are you will garner more respect on this website and in the performance boating community. Most all of us on this site know each other.

Now why would Speed Racer throttle back to let Fountain be the 1st to the card stop? I just do not see this happening in an ego filled event such as a Poker Run. Also why is it when someone loses to a Fountain they always say this or that broke? :D

I do not see anything wrong with the press release by Fountain on the Jacksonville Poker run and their boat called Cat Killer. I can not see how this one deal would change anything in the insurance industry. Some people on this site are just so jealous and are looking at anything to bash Fountain they can not see straight.

Fountain has done a lot for the performance industry and all of us should acknowledge that. Fountain's R&D and support of racing is second to no one. :D

Hauling Trash 06-17-2006 08:33 PM

This NOT about what Fountain has done for the powerboat industry.

Its about a poker run is not a race , So why put a statement out like that.

Mike

lucky strike 06-17-2006 08:38 PM

Does anyone have any video of the two starts ?

rouxsterre 06-17-2006 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by cuda
If it was Fiore, or anyone else but Reggie, everyone on here would be singing the high praises to him.

True words there.
The Fiore ball-washers would be falling over themselves pointing their prayer carpets to Rhode Island, praising Fiore for saving Offshore from the Infidel. . . . Reggie will never get his due. I just plain don't get the hate. An old man sackin up and putting his ass on the line . . . year in, year out. Breaking records, raising the bar. Yeah his mouth gets him in trouble, but he don't write checks his ass can't cash. . . .
There's an old saying: If you don't like the end-zone dance, don't let him score touchdowns.

I pay insurance like everybody else. You can't blame Reggie Fountain for the rates. Blame the dead guys dragged from the harbor, driving at speeds far beyond their capabilities.

Downtown42 06-17-2006 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by rouxsterre
The Fiore ball-washers would be falling over themselves pointing their prayer carpets to Rhode Island, praising Fiore for saving Offshore from the Infidel. . . . Reggie will never get his due.

Haaaa haaaa haaaaa haaaaa....that's some funny chit :evilb:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...2/laughing.jpg

offshoredrillin 06-17-2006 08:56 PM

True words there.
The Fiore ball-washers would be falling over themselves pointing their prayer carpets to Rhode Island, praising Fiore for saving Offshore from the Infidel. . . . Reggie will never get his due. I just plain don't get the hate. An old man sackin up and putting his ass on the line . . . year in, year out. Breaking records, raising the bar. Yeah his mouth gets him in trouble, but he don't write checks his ass can't cash. . . .
There's an old saying: If you don't like the end-zone dance, don't let him score touchdowns.

I pay insurance like everybody else. You can't blame Reggie Fountain for the rates. Blame the dead guys dragged from the harbor, driving at speeds far beyond their capabilities.

Look it just so happened that it was Reggie that said it, I dont wash anyones sack and the fact remains that statements like that are bad for our sport...Look at the NYC poker run today, no king or queen of the hudson, speeds capped at just over 100. turnout there was horrible, slips were still available. Regardless of whom made the statement it was reckless and without thought. I could forsee insurance regulations within the future that anyone caught in a sanctions event/run/race will be subject to cancellation. Maybe some of you guys need to just admit he screwed up. If some people bash blindly, dont be so fast to protect blindly either.

Downtown42 06-17-2006 09:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
You mean Reggies statement caused the capped speed on the 2006 NY Hudson?

I think the previous 36 Apache flip 2 yrs ago may have had more influence, huh????

Never been there, nor would I want to run in that junk filled water or whatever you call it with refridgerators and dead bodies stashed inside.

offshoredrillin 06-17-2006 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Downtown42
You mean Reggies statement caused the capped speed on the 2006 NY Hudson?

no, not at all, but in the scope of what is goin on in the industry, that statement may come back to haunt him and hurt all of us. where the run is doesnt matter, when it comes time for us to get clamped down on, I'm sure every accident or public statement will be used against the industry.

Hauling Trash 06-17-2006 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
Look it just so happened that it was Reggie that said it, I dont wash anyones sack and the fact remains that statements like that are bad for our sport...Look at the NYC poker run today, no king or queen of the hudson, speeds capped at just over 100. turnout there was horrible, slips were still available. Regardless of whom made the statement it was reckless and without thought. I could forsee insurance regulations within the future that anyone caught in a sanctions event/run/race will be subject to cancellation. Maybe some of you guys need to just admit he screwed up. If some people bash blindly, dont be so fast to protect blindly either.

100% RIGHT, Its the STATEMENT

Downtown42 06-17-2006 09:17 PM

Oh...no one mentions Fiore's comments here....I see, I get it now. It's OK for OL to leave on their website when Fountain states a press release it;'s bash time :mad:

Press Release

“FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE”
June 30, 2002
Outerlimits Offshore Powerboats Steals the Show at the New York City Poker Run
New York City, NY – June 15th, 2002 – Outerlimits Offshore Powerboats stole the show at the
New York City Powerboat Poker Run, retaining their ‘King of the V-Bottoms’ Crown and by
taking the top nine spots in the V-bottom class. Over 125 boats, from all over the country,
participated in this prestigious and spectacular event held on the Hudson River in America’s
most exciting city.
Right from the start, the Outerlimits dock drew quite a crowd with their impressive fleet of boats.
Mike Fiore, president of Outerlimits, said ”Its so great to see everyone out here having such a
good time.” Surrounded by all the Outerlimits boats, he continued “This almost looks like an
Outerlimits show.” And indeed it did. The day turned out to be quite a show for these v-bottoms.
Frank Barbarino, owner and driver of the 42 foot Outerlimits ‘Fire and Ice’, was the fastest VBottom,
capturing the ‘King of the V-Bottoms’ trophy. He was followed by a fleet of eight more
Outerlimits with ‘Rock It’, a 42 footer, owned by Bob Russel, driven by Chris Cestaro, owner of
Ocean Performance in Connecticut and throttled by Paul Fiore of Outerlimits coming right
behind. ‘What a Gas’, a 42 foot Outerlimits, owned and driven by John O’Loughlin came in
next. The 42-foot GTX, ‘Joker’, owned and throttled by John Makepeace and driven by Anthony
Rosciti came in fourth. Then came the 42 foot ‘Pass Blocker’, owned and driven by Brad Benson
and throttled by Jerry Tipton, owner of Trenton Marine. Bob Christi’s ‘Extreme Dream’ another
42 footer came in next, followed by Dennis Kelliher’s 37 Outerlimits then Ron Bergoin’s 37
Quad Step and soon afterward ‘No Discipline’ Pete Mazzo’s 42 Outerlimits. Mike Fiore and Bob
Russel were blazing a trail along side of the turbine powered ‘Jet Set’ when their 42’ GTX
frayed a belt, slowing them down out of contention. Even with this misfortune, it was still
Outerlimits v-bottom performance all the way.
The National Powerboat Association produces the New York City Powerboat Poker Run, which
celebrated its 6th year. The 75-mile course started at Liberty Landing Marina, in the shadow of
the Stature of Liberty, then to the Ossining Boat and Canoe Club, then on to Haverstraw Marina,
and returned to the Liberty Landing Marina for the big Awards Party. A great day was had by all
in spite of the gray weather.
The performance of the Outerlimits fleet confirms that when it comes to running a v-bottom in
the poker run circuit, they are truly the dominating force of the sport. Outerlimits Offshore
Powerboats is located in Bristol, Rhode Island. For additional information on their offshore
powerboats, call 401-253-7300 or visit www.outerlimitspowerboats.com.
# # #

offshoredrillin 06-17-2006 09:23 PM

dude, look at the date....To me this isnt about who said the statement, I would be just as yanked if it were anyone else. Has nothing to do with how fast his boat is or what really happened. It's 100% about a written press statement that stands to hurt us when it comes to poker runs. Explain to me whay we have to abaide by rules that are made to protect stupid people? Why do they have to write dont drink the shampoo on a shampoo bottle? fer christ sakes. you guys just wont admit it was a stupid press release. bad move, if you think it's not then ok, when runs become illegal then we will see. Hell one stste already wont let bikes have a poker run for money even if it's for charity. Dont be blind about it just to protect.

Downtown42 06-17-2006 09:34 PM

I think hurricanes ,theft, and the area you live are the cause of insurance rates. I do not see anything wrong with press release; But everyone has their opinion and I respect that.

Maybe Sy and others can comment re: Poker Runs in relation to insurance rates.

Yeah, my 966/yr premium is killing me on the new Fountain, I know where you're coming from :evilb: :evilb:

rouxsterre 06-17-2006 10:32 PM

Maybe Sy and others can comment re: Poker Runs in relation to insurance rates.

Better yet, let's see what Sy has to say about "Post-Poker Run QUOTES" effects on insurance rates . . .

Originally Posted by Hauling Trash
100% RIGHT, Its the STATEMENT

NRG 06-17-2006 10:34 PM

It's 100% about a written press statement that stands to hurt us when it comes to poker runs.
WRONG. The ones that hurt are the news articles about a "cigarette type" boat spins out and flips over with one in critical condition and 2 people missing.

THOSE HURT!

CAP071 06-17-2006 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by NRG
WRONG. The ones that hurt are the news articles about a "cigarette type" boat spins out and flips over with one in critical condition and 2 people missing.

THOSE HURT!

Then it goes on to say Booze was a factor :cool:

blume 06-17-2006 10:43 PM

Better yet, let's see what Sy has to say about "Post-Poker Run QUOTES" effects on insurance rates . . .

Do all of ya'll really think the insurance companies are a bunch of dumb a$$es. They know what people do at poker runs, they know how fast the boats they have policys on will go and they know why the owners want them to go that fast. A press release is not going to make your premiums go up.

the duke 06-17-2006 10:48 PM

Look it just so happened that it was Reggie that said it, I dont wash anyones sack and the fact remains that statements like that are bad for our sport...Look at the NYC poker run today, no king or queen of the hudson, speeds capped at just over 100. turnout there was horrible, slips were still available.

You've been agreeing with me so far, but maybe not now. :D you don't really believe Fountains press release had anything to do with anything that happened at the NYC poker run?

the duke 06-17-2006 10:51 PM

Never been there, nor would I want to run in that junk filled water or whatever you call it with refridgerators and dead bodies stashed inside.

and you don't want to. I used to run that river years ago. Worst possible water to run a recreational boat in. Dirty water, junk in the water, too much commercial traffic rough as all hell

99fever27 06-17-2006 11:03 PM

Ive heard enough..im selling my Fountain because im so disgusted that Reggie was talkin trash. I think I will enter my SeaRay in next weeks poker run to see if i get best hand :rolleyes: ....Please the drama depresses me...

Ron P 06-17-2006 11:51 PM

...Look at the NYC poker run today, no king or queen of the hudson, speeds capped at just over 100. turnout there was horrible, slips were still available.

Speeds were not capped at all.

You couldn't have someone in the back seat if you ran over 100.

Jetset ran for all she's worth...as usual.

cuda 06-18-2006 12:43 AM

It's 100% about a written press statement that stands to hurt us when it comes to poker runs. .

Oh come on now, You usually have pretty well thought out posts on here, but I can't believe you honestly think a press release is going to raise insurance rates, be the downfall of poker runs, and is probably responsible for the designated hitter rule in baseball too. :rolleyes:

offshoredrillin 06-18-2006 06:44 AM

You've been agreeing with me so far, but maybe not now. :D you don't really believe Fountains press release had anything to do with anything that happened at the NYC poker run?

No I dont believe that at all, and from what Ron P posted they only set limits on who could do what, I was only partially correct.but none the less now limits are being set.

Look, I'm not saying that what he said will be the absolute downfall of poker runs, insurance rates or is he responsible for any base ball rules ,shooting Barry Bonds Ass full of growth hormone or will it be the downfall of western civilization(thats reserved for Sen. Clinton)...BUT for a guy that does such a great job promoting the sport and his business, who even does the segment on the American Powerboat show about how to safely run your boat ( I too found them informative), this wasn't his shining moment. You guys shouldnt be so quick to dismiss it. I have tons of respect for him and his boats, I just hope that this slip of the tounge doesnt come back to bite us. In the wake of the past couple years of hurricanes, higher horsepower, more people buying boats, accidents at poker runs, theft and so on, we dont need the largest most public figure in the industry making these types of statements, frankly I think it was beneath his usual character. but hey what do i know..:D

Ratickle 06-18-2006 07:28 AM

It's not just the press releases like Outerlimits and Fountains. It is those press releases used in combination with the accidents at SOTW and NYC (both V-Hulls) plus the lobby who want to destroy our sport just because we are too loud for sailors and too big and fast for fishermen.
Ask Progressive why they will insure a Bass Bost that goes 90 with no problem but will not touch a V-Hull that goes over 75 or a cat no matter what speed! Do you think it may have something to do with the noise, publicity, and accidents? Or the articles like in Wall Street Journal?
I have the utmost respect of what Reggie, Fiore, and others have done for the improvement of offshore performance design and promotion. I do not think that their ego's have a place in an open course Poker Run. If what is said is true about blowing through a No Wake Zone at speed, I think everyone should remember that a Poker Run is not a closed course and any recreational boater could have been in that zone at the exact wrong time.
I would love to see a closed course portion of a Poker Run set up so the Big Boys could run their stuff against a clock or side to side for bragging rites. Oh, I think they call those Shootouts and we have a couple of good ones. If every Poker Run had one it would be awesome. Until then, all of us need to be very cautious. New speed and size restrictions in Alabama, proposed new noise limitations in Michigan, and skyrocketing insurance costs for the boat owners and event producers are all stacking up against us. It is up to us to police ourselves somewhat or they will more than somewhat.
Cuda, I've respected your input for ever, especially since I know what it means to have a "fleet". Yes I know of an insurance underwriter who watches this site, Speed Wake, and Hot Boat to make sure they do not insure a boat which falls outside their rules. They have a "responsibility" to their company and stock holders to do so. They do not always cancel the policy, sometimes they resell it to a different underwriter (if possible) so they can keep your house, cars, business insurance etc, and the premiums skyrocket. If they find out the boat was misrepresented, and there is a claim, they just refuse to pay.
I wanted to buy a 38 cat instead of the 43 BT but could not justify the insurance cost difference for a six month season at best. It was an additional $6200 per year. That was when I found out about the bass boats. Really pissed me off.
IMHO, poker run bragging rites should stay in poker runs. Keep them off public forums and press releases unless it is a closed course santioned run.

Hauling Trash 06-18-2006 07:54 AM

EGO is the big word here. David Knight was not thinking about safety ,At that speed ,not on a cloesd course.

Mike

Downtown42 06-18-2006 08:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)

No I dont believe that at all, and from what Ron P posted they only set limits on who could do what, I was only partially correct.but none the less now limits are being set.

Look, I'm not saying that what he said will be the absolute downfall of poker runs, insurance rates or is he responsible for any base ball rules ,shooting Barry Bonds Ass full of growth hormone or will it be the downfall of western civilization(thats reserved for Sen. Clinton)...BUT for a guy that does such a great job promoting the sport and his business, who even does the segment on the American Powerboat show about how to safely run your boat ( I too found them informative), this wasn't his shining moment. You guys shouldnt be so quick to dismiss it. I have tons of respect for him and his boats, I just hope that this slip of the tounge doesnt come back to bite us. In the wake of the past couple years of hurricanes, higher horsepower, more people buying boats, accidents at poker runs, theft and so on, we dont need the largest most public figure in the industry making these types of statements, frankly I think it was beneath his usual character. but hey what do i know..:D

:bunny:

bmanafort 06-18-2006 08:18 AM

Reggie is raising the bar and competition is good. I think everyone is overthinking this thing. He kicked some cat butt and he is proud of it. Good for him and great for fountain.

WILD 1 06-18-2006 08:33 AM

Lol-putting Aside All Of The "issues", We Aren't Comparing Apples To Apples Here! Didn't Bacardi Silver Set The Speed Record 202MPH (ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO) With The Same Power As The Fountain. Race Boats Should Be Compaired To Race Boats! BACARDI "DOES HAVE THE VIDEO" THAT WAS SHOWN ON NATIONAL TELEVISON-NAUTIBOATS.COM-JUST CLICK ON THE TODAY SHOW VIDEO WHERE MAT RUNS UP TO ABOUT 170MPH.

cuda 06-18-2006 10:12 AM

Ok, I think this horse has finally quit twitching.

Tantrum 06-18-2006 10:40 AM

Oh come on now, You usually have pretty well thought out posts on here, but I can't believe you honestly think a press release is going to raise insurance rates, be the downfall of poker runs, and is probably responsible for the designated hitter rule in baseball too. :rolleyes:

I think what it is about is the manufactures being responsible and not inflaming an already sensitive issue. They are going to collapse their own market. I think your delusional if you think "publicity" like this has no effect on our personal policies or event policies.

Manufactures/Event planners, need to be more responsible and use a little common sense....period!

masher44 06-18-2006 11:34 AM

Ok, I think this horse has finally quit twitching.

Not yet!!!! :D I dont blame Reggie at all.... just the scumbags that think it is a chance to raise rates and all the other horsechit so you have to pay thru the azz.... You would crap if I told you what I had to pay on my boat with 620HP and an 80mph top end speed...... you might even crap purple. :mad: :mad:

All boaters are getting lumped into this "Poker Runs are races" category.... I left my boat in TX when I went to Jax because I had very little seat time and was honestly afraid to run it in a "Poker Run" due to my lack of experience with it. I couldnt risk ruining my new lavender IZOD either :D

I think there are more people that have gotten out of the sport recently than have gotten into it for sure.... this has become a rich man's game if you want to hit "the Poker Run circuit" IMHO

Downtown42 06-18-2006 02:02 PM

meow :evilb:

Sean H 06-18-2006 02:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
why wouldn't reggie take his boat to the races that weekend instead of a poker run? there were some fast canopy boats in Puerto Rico that would of gave him a run for his money... :drink:

Buddy OO 06-18-2006 02:42 PM

come on Sean, did'nt you know v bottom technology has exceeded Cat technolog, I say bring them to the shootout in a controlled race environment and let em eat. my money is on Dave, any takers?

masher44 06-18-2006 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sean H
why wouldn't reggie take his boat to the races that weekend instead of a poker run? there were some fast canopy boats in Puerto Rico that would of gave him a run for his money... :drink:

who gave you permission to post? :evilb:

fountain1fan 06-18-2006 04:02 PM

here kitty kitty . reggie has a v bottom to eat you up ! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :drink:

fountain1fan 06-18-2006 04:07 PM

reggie has allready spanked the cats ass one time . in the late 80s now he is going to do it agin . sweetttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt . :drink: