Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cat Killer ! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/132933-cat-killer.html)

CAP071 06-16-2006 06:19 PM

Cat Killer !

1 Attachment(s)
WOW Did anyone else read this Article?

June 13, 2006 – WASHINGTON, NC – As the next step in its mission to build the fastest boat on the water in any kind of competition, Fountain Powerboats entered its new offshore Super Boat Rio Roses Fountain Mercury in the Jacksonville Fire & Police River Rally Poker Run, held in Jacksonville, Florida, on June 10. Fountain sport boats were well represented in the fleet of 120 hot boats, which also included a group of big high-powered catamarans boasting speeds of 140 to 180 mph. “We wanted to make a good showing for our customers,” said Reggie Fountain, CEO of Fountain Powerboats. “There were a lot of real fast boats out there. We don’t want to dispute the speeds they were running. But clearly and without question we were faster than they were. We have it on video.” David Knight was on the throttles and Ben Robertson was at the wheel of Rio Roses Fountain Mercury, a Super Vee Unlimited-class offshore racer based on a Fountain 47 Lightning Positive Lift stepped hull, with twin 1,500-hp Sterling motors. “The way we built that boat is the way we build the boats for all our customers, with the same lamination schedule,” Fountain said. He calls the big V-bottom boat “The Cat-Killer” because of its ability to outrun, out-handle and outlast the Super Cats, especially in rough water.

The rally took place along a 150-mile course on the St. John’s River. Event organizers divided the fleet into two groups, with the 100+ mph boats starting first. The Fountain team was waiting for the pace boat to signal the start when, according to Knight, about 16 boats jumped the gun, gaining a half-mile on the rest of the boats. “We were the seventeenth to start,” Knight said. “Within the first several miles, we had taken over the lead. When we came to the first card stop, there was nobody within half a mile of us.” After Rio Roses Fountain Mercury returned from the checkpoint, Knight reported, “All the big cats were waiting for us at the end of the canal like a street gang.” Due to no-wake zones, the lead changed hands several times, and the big MTI cat Speed Racer gave Rio Roses Fountain Mercury a serious run for its money. But the Fountain pulled ahead every time. “That was the story of the day,” Knight said. “We totally dominated the entire fleet of one hundred and twenty boats.”

“I think our boat is set up very well for acceleration and top speed,” he said. “We’re experienced drivers and we know how to get the most out of the boat.” Part of Fountain’s strategy in entering Rio Roses Fountain Mercury in events like the Jacksonville River Rally Poker Run is to gather information to take back to the Fountain engineering department for further R&D work. “We’re an engineering-driven company, always trying to push the technology bar to its highest limit,” says Knight, who also is executive vice president at Fountain. “We will then integrate all this into the boats we build for our customers.”

About Fountain Powerboat Industries Fountain Powerboat Industries has its executive offices and manufacturing facilities along the Pamlico River in Beaufort County, North Carolina. The company designs, manufactures and sells offshore sport boats, sport fishing boats and sport cruisers that target the segment of the recreational power boat market where speed, performance, safety and quality are the main criteria for purchase. These recreational boats are based upon an innovative, award-winning design enabling world class performance while using standard reliable power. There are currently 12 buildings located on 65 acres totaling over 238,000 square feet accommodating 40 to 45 boats in various stages of construction at any one time. The present plant site can also accommodate up to 300,000 square feet of additional manufacturing space. The land and buildings are wholly owned by Fountain Powerboat Industries, Inc. and its subsidiary, Fountain Powerboats, Inc. For more information, visit www.fountainpowerboats.com

Last Updated ( Friday, 16 June 2006 )

10x 06-16-2006 06:34 PM

Re: Cat Killer !

Yeah, unbelievable, ain't it? Heard this last sunday from Scott Shogren while he was on the phone with Reggie. :D I believe that this is the boat that Reggie is bringing to the Chicago Poker Run next month. He's got something up his sleeve, :rolleyes: and it's hard to get a straight answer out of him, other than we'll be impressed with what he's bringing. :evilb:

offshoredrillin 06-16-2006 07:03 PM

I'll put a street Monte Carlo up against Dale Jrs any day..:rolleyes:...I never bashed beaks or reggie, but this idotic statement is too much even for him... Oh, and poker runs arent a race Mr Fountain...It's these types of statements that will be the downfall of the sport. Wonder what he will say when no one can afford insurance and his boats don't sell...

Hauling Trash 06-16-2006 07:05 PM

Was it a Race or a Poker Run ??????????????????

Mike

Hauling Trash 06-16-2006 07:09 PM

David Knight ( We totally dominated the entire fleet )

Was David at a Race ???????

What is he think ????????

Not very good for Fountain to put this out.

Mike

Ratickle 06-16-2006 07:18 PM

Big ego's need to "dominate" poker runners out for fun and a good time with other performance enthusiasts by using professionals. I'm sure our insurance in the near future will exclude poker runs from coverage. After all, they are now bragging about the fact their boats compete at higher speeds during a poker run than in a santioned offshore race (no displacement rules). IMHO, must be inbreeding! :eek:

cuda 06-16-2006 07:28 PM

Anyone who's run in a big poker run, knows damn well they want to see who's the fastest, race or no race. I've never been a fan of Fountain boats, but you have to give credit where credit is due. He has backed up everything he's said that I know of, and usually with him in the boat. I was at the Marathon races, Debbie was listening to the broadcast on the radio, and she told me they clocked it at 161 going down the back stretch. I thought she must have heard it wrong, so I listened. The next lap he was clocked at 162. It was only a couple years ago, these would have been record speeds for a v hull on a kilo run, with engines designed to last just long enough to get the run in. Now his race boats are running those speeds. I've never understood all the Reggie hating on Oso, yeah, the hair dye and the gold chains are a bit much, but damn, he is probably the most recognized name in offshore powerboating, basically a living legend. In short, you can believe if anyone had a cat at the run that could beat him, they would have damn sure been giving it their best shot.

Don't hate the player.

tomtbone1993 06-16-2006 08:16 PM

<------------------ :evilb: :evilb:

the duke 06-16-2006 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
Oh, and poker runs arent a race Mr Fountain...It's these types of statements that will be the downfall of the sport.

Why is it that the NY Poker Run has a "King of the Hudson" award for the boat that gets from the GWB to the TPZ bridge first, if its not a race?

offshoredrillin 06-16-2006 08:34 PM

Well no shiit dumbasses, but the last thing we need is the owner of fountain telling about it and bragging, why dont you self rightous a holes hang a sign out your car next time you have a beer and drive, or better yet go turn yourself in for speeding...Hell half you dimwits jump on the safety wagon about how safe you are and never get off the pier without a lifejacket, condom and water wings on, then you post pics of yourselves running with nothing on...get over yourselves.

and Duke, this isnt directed at you, your statement is true. I dont mind the race aspect of it, but the same people will be complaining when their ins company bans them from poker runs.

Originally Posted by cuda
I was at the Marathon races, Debbie was listening to the broadcast on the radio, and she told me they clocked it at 161 going down the back stretch. I thought she must have heard it wrong, so I listened. The next lap he was clocked at 162.

Don't hate the player.

EXACTLY my point, marathon was a race, Jax was a poker run, with some less skilled drivers in the water. So if a race driver does a burnout in a parking lot and hits a parked car is he still not liable?

eburns 06-16-2006 08:47 PM

Dear Mr. Fountain i have just finished reading you press release on the cat killer. You have earned a great amount of respect in the high performance boating industry in your carrear. I was dissapointed to see your greatest threat sitting on a trailer in pokerrun village at the key west races.
If the hearsay is correct, the 47 outterlimits that i speak of commonly reffered to as "the secret weapon"
was not allowed to compete agianst "cat killer".

Mr. Fountain, you are a marketing expert as evidenced by the "cat killer" press release, as well as
many other of your well thought out marketing moves.

Outerlimits and Fountain powerboats are not really competitors based on their retail pricing.

So one day i hope to see the cat killer and the secret weapon compete in a sanctioned event that is agreeable
to you and "the boy", and recognized world wide.

Win loose or draw-egos put aside-that would be the best marketing move for both companies.

Sincerely,
Ed Burns

ChromeGorilla 06-16-2006 08:49 PM

While Rio Roses is surely a very fast boat and was very impressive, part of the story smells like poo..... where is the paragraph that tell the part how they flew through the no wake zone leaving Doctors Lake under the bridge. Total disregard for a marked no wake zone. Was a sad sight to see them go ripping through there, especially with the image poker runs and performance boats have in general these days. After Rio Roses blew through there to build their lead, FWC hauled arse into position to make sure nobody else did the same......

ratman 06-16-2006 08:52 PM

“The way we built that boat is the way we build the boats for all our customers, with the same lamination schedule,
so the boat that delaminated at key west had the same layup schedule as the rest of thier boats? do new boats come with a roll of shrink wrap? just in case

eburns 06-16-2006 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by ChromeGorilla
While Rio Roses is surely a very fast boat and was very impressive, part of the story smells like poo..... where is the paragraph that tell the part how they flew through the no wake zone leaving Doctors Lake under the bridge. Total disregard for a marked no wake zone. Was a sad sight to see them go ripping through there, especially with the image poker runs and performance boats have in general these days. After Rio Roses blew through there to build their lead, FWC hauled arse into position to make sure nobody else did the same......

i believe this restriction was lifted the weekend of the poker run.....for the event

LubeJobs42 06-16-2006 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by ChromeGorilla

We weren't even on plane yet, we still had at least 1/8 of a mile to the start. He passed us Flying!!!!! He was on plane well into the No wake zone. I think the article is very irresponsible for a man in his position. We are having a hell of a time getting insurance already. He makes it sound like we all showed up in full blown race boats with helmets, jackets and were running over 150. That's not the case. Articles like this can only hurt all of us. My insurance for my motion was $4800 last year. I now pay $17,000 for the new boat. Only one isurance company will even write cats. I hope they don't read his artcle.

ChromeGorilla 06-16-2006 09:06 PM

No it was not. The only 2 bridges that you did not have to come off plane for the event where The Buckman Bridge and the Shands Bridge. The bridge in question is neither of the 2. It is a small bridge that spans a small passage between the St. Johns and Doctors Lake. The other 2 bridges span across the St. Johns.

cuda 06-16-2006 09:33 PM

If it was Fiori, or anyone else but Reggie, everyone on here would be singing the high praises to him.

Regardless of the no wake issue, my question is DID ANYONE HAVE A CAT THAT WOULD OUTRUN HIS BOAT?

Again, I'm no Fountain fan, but if he's the fastest, he should get credit, not bashed.

cuda 06-16-2006 09:36 PM

As far a statements saying that he alone is going raise the rates of insurance from what he does, is purely rediculous. Do you really think the insurance companies think that in poker runs, they are cruising around daintily with their ladies holding parasols to keep the sun off their delicate skin?

Insurance companies have armies of guys that crunch numbers. They don't have people looking for quotes in magazine to base their rates on. :rolleyes:

cuda 06-16-2006 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Only one isurance company will even write cats. I hope they don't read his artcle.

You did read the part about him running a V hull, right?

LostinBoston 06-16-2006 09:44 PM

Outran the big cats?
Were there any 47ft+ cats there. The pic shows him against a 42 or 44 MTI. Granted, the mti should be faster, but its not a professional race boat. If he wants to claim he can outrun the supercats he should run against bud select, Callan, and others, not some pleasure boats.

Cuda, i listened to some broadcasts and they were exaggerating the speed of boats. NOt saying it wasnt 161, i just find that hard to believe. The turbine class is limited to 155 max on the course

chad1 06-16-2006 10:18 PM

Always An Excuse.
90% Of The Post Are About Speed Or An Ass Kicking
Someone Is Going To Dish Out.
Maybe Reggie Read Some Posts And Took Things
Serious!!!
Lol

candyman35 06-16-2006 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hauling Trash
David Knight ( We totally dominated the entire fleet )

Was David at a Race ???????

What is he think ????????

Not very good for Fountain to put this out.

Mike

I agree with you Mike. Poker Run to me is a fun day on the water with like minded friends. Love the cool boats that I will never be able to own. Love to see them go fast. Love Fountains new toy! Who's the quickest should be left to the races. In the grand scheme of things it really does not matter. It all about having fun....and a cool video!!! :D
Dan

BTW are you going to make it to the Chicago Poker Run?

gusman 06-16-2006 10:25 PM

Lets hope they dont start raising V-hull rates :rolleyes:

FeverMike 06-16-2006 10:37 PM

Dang, there is some jealous people on this board. Face Fountain cleaned some clocks! Fountain backs up what they say. Fountain puts there money where there mouth is. Fountain does more ture real world R&D than anyother performance boat company and many companies all put together.
Yes I am a proud Fountain owner. :drink:

PS to those that do not think the start of a Poker Runs is not a race....go to a poker run and check it out then tell me that....what is there a prize for the first to the card stop such as King of the Hudson? Huh? :evilb:

FeverMike 06-17-2006 12:25 AM

If I remember correctly at the Miami show Speed Racer like many other Cats were bragging about 160+ mph speeds and blah blah blah...well I guess race boat or not speed is speed and Fountain show'd 'em!

articfriends 06-17-2006 12:59 AM

Sorta reminds me of MISS. BUDWEISER showing up for the shootout,except the fountain owners are estatic :evilb: Smitty

Sean H 06-17-2006 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by LostinBoston
The turbine class is limited to 155 max on the course

what??? :confused:

fountain1fan 06-17-2006 05:21 AM

amen cuda ! if it was fiori nothing bad would be said . but jest becaus reggie did it it's wrong . if speed racer ran 200mph, all you would here is how great it . is funny how people act on here when reggie does somthing great .

fountain1fan 06-17-2006 05:22 AM

verry true mike .

offshoredrillin 06-17-2006 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by FeverMike
Dang, there is some jealous people on this board. Face Fountain cleaned some clocks! Fountain backs up what they say. Fountain puts there money where there mouth is. Fountain does more ture real world R&D than anyother performance boat company and many companies all put together.
Yes I am a proud Fountain owner. :drink:

PS to those that do not think the start of a Poker Runs is not a race....go to a poker run and check it out then tell me that....what is there a prize for the first to the card stop such as King of the Hudson? Huh? :evilb:

no one is denying that speed is speed, and sure every manufacturer brags about top speed thats what sells boats, We all agree on that BUT, Reggie has always done his top speed events on kilo runs and I have always respected that, for him to make these statements at/about a poker run is irresponsible. We also ALL know what a run entails. With skyrocketing insurance premiums watch runs come under more scrutiny, ins for the organizers, and participants. I hope it doesnt come to the point where any sanctioned event is off limits from insurance providers.

Originally Posted by fountain1fan
amen cuda ! if it was fiori nothing bad would be said . but jest becaus reggie did it it's wrong . if speed racer ran 200mph, all you would here is how great it . is funny how people act on here when reggie does somthing great .

The speed isnt the issue here at least in my opinion, when I heard Rio Roses was running, my first thought was wow, very cool...I didnt get pissed until his irresponsible self promotion at all of our expenses, I lost a lot of respect for him, I dont have a problem with him or his boats, many of my friends have them... He needs to remember that "loose lips sink ships"

two-air 06-17-2006 06:58 AM

I can't believe anyone on OSO would give a **** that someone was bragging about their boat kicking ass at a poker run.

I can't believe anyone would think that a manufacturer would not benefit from having their boat be the first to the card stops.

Insurance is high on cats because of statistics.

I'm not a Fountain guy either but after I read the article I laughed and thought : Way to go Reggie!

DRIVEN1 06-17-2006 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by gusman
Lets hope they dont start raising V-hull rates :rolleyes:

Based on the over $8000 premium for my 47 Lightning I would say they already have raised them in Florida. :(

cuda 06-17-2006 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by two-air
I can't believe anyone on OSO would give a **** that someone was bragging about their boat kicking ass at a poker run.

I can't believe anyone would think that a manufacturer would not benefit from having their boat be the first to the card stops.

Insurance is high on cats because of statistics.

I'm not a Fountain guy either but after I read the article I laughed and thought : Way to go Reggie!

It's about time you popped your head back up Frank. :)

Did you go to Jax?

CAP071 06-17-2006 07:14 AM

Speed Racer should have used his secret weapons. I'm sure he has a saw blade that pops out of the side, or a tractor beam :D GO SPEED GO

cuda 06-17-2006 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by DRIVEN1
Based on the over $8000 premium for my 47 Lightning I would say they already have raised them in Florida. :(

Yep, I called for a quote on a 24 year old 22 foot Donzi Classic with a top speed of 60. They would only insure it for $9,000, and the quote was $1800 a year! I about fell out. I told him there are a bunch of people I know that own much newer, faster, and agreed values of up to 50G's, paying much less than that. I sat there looking at the donzi.net site, and was reading the premiums a bunch of them were paying. They were more in the range of $300 to $600 a year. I thought they must be punching something in wrong, to do it over again. This conversation went on for quite a while, I finally asked him how the hell could mine be so much higher, when I have never had any sort of claim. He asked me if the other boats lived in Florida. :( I guess they want us to pay for all the boats torn up in Miami last year. :mad:
I went with the $112 a year liability only policy.

Oh, by the way, they never asked if I ran in any poker runs, or what number boat I was at the first stop. :rolleyes:

two-air 06-17-2006 07:31 AM

Hey Cuda:

Didn't do Jax this year, planning on: 4th of July, Labor day and Key West. As usual we will try not to pass any boats. Remember, its all about the alcohol you consume after the run!

Sorry to hear you're selling the machine. I will miss getting hosed down by the rooster. :eek: :drink:

Say hi to Deb.

Frank

klmken 06-17-2006 07:45 AM

Yep, I called for a quote on a 24 year old 22 foot Donzi Classic with a top speed of 60. They would only insure it for $9,000, and the quote was $1800 a year! I about fell out. I told him there are a bunch of people I know that own much newer, faster, and agreed values of up to 50G's, paying much less than that. I sat there looking at the donzi.net site, and was reading the premiums a bunch of them were paying. They were more in the range of $300 to $600 a year. I thought they must be punching something in wrong, to do it over again. This conversation went on for quite a while, I finally asked him how the hell could mine be so much higher, when I have never had any sort of claim. He asked me if the other boats lived in Florida. :( I guess they want us to pay for all the boats torn up in Miami last year. :mad:
I went with the $112 a year liability only policy.

Oh, by the way, they never asked if I ran in any poker runs, or what number boat I was at the first stop. :rolleyes:

$550/year state farm on my 22'Pachanga 17,500 agred value. $1800 /year is INSANE!!

otis311 06-17-2006 07:47 AM

Am I missing something here ?? I thought Ben Robertson moved over to the Cigarette Racing Team over the winter ??

Scott B 06-17-2006 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by articfriends
Sorta reminds me of MISS. BUDWEISER showing up for the shootout,except the fountain owners are estatic :evilb: Smitty

LOL, now that's good comedy :) :)

Scott B 06-17-2006 07:56 AM

I guess they want us to pay for all the boats torn up in Miami last year. :mad:

Hey, more boats were torn up in PSL, Stuart and Boca Grande than Miamuh.. We're not always the bad guy bubba :D :D :D