Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Baja 30OL or Sunsation32SS (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/132967-baja-30ol-sunsation32ss.html)

Dun Canoein 06-17-2006 07:52 AM

Baja 30OL or Sunsation32SS

Greetings all. I'm brand new to your site! Would like some help on deciding which boat to purchase....30OL or Sunsation32SS. Pro's and Con's of each would be muchly appreciated. Both outfitted with 525EFI's. Also, with stepped hull on 32SS, does XR ITS do anything for speed. Any and all comments on these 2 boats, service experiences etc are welcome.

dreamer 06-17-2006 07:59 AM

Re: Baja 30OL or Sunsation32SS

sunsation

Dun Canoein 06-17-2006 08:08 AM

Dreamer....."To the Point" but thanks!!

THLWL 06-17-2006 08:10 AM

I have a friend that just purchased a 30' OL with 496 HO's. He hit 80 mph. Also, it is a good size boat with an excellent cabin. The non-step hull feels very well as in no chine walk. I haven't ridden in a 32 Sunsation. However, I have been around several of them. They are a smaller boat for 32' long. They are a very fast boat for their size. If you want to be out on the edge, the Sunsation will get you there. If you want to be more comfortable and stable, the Baja is a very good choice. Test drive them both.

Just a side note: We did have a 32 Sunsation hit a ship wave in the Houston area about a month ago. The back in of the boat came apart and sunk immediately and the 2 occupants were rescued. This has resulted in a law suit against Sunsation.

Dun Canoein 06-17-2006 08:17 AM

THLWL.....points are noted. That must have been some kind of wave to do that to the boat!!

chrisf 06-17-2006 08:52 AM

I can't speak for the Sunsation, but the Baja is a great, SOLID boat and will give you a dealer and service network that might be more convenient for you, especially with purchasing a new boat.

JMO

Chris

NefariousOne 06-17-2006 09:18 AM

Dun Canoein..... My good friend just bought a 32SS with HO's. Drove down to Jax and rode with him in the poker run. I was VERY impressed with this boat.

IMO there is no comparison. The Sunsation is bigger and out performs the Baja. I do not know the cabin size on the 30 OL but I was surprised how large the cabin was on the 32SS.

As far as performance..... His 496HO boat will run 86 MPH. A 32SS with 525's is a 95 MPH boat.

I would buy the 32SS. Hands down.

As far as adding ITS, I can't remeber, but this was discussed on the Sunsation forums and if I recall I don't think it made a difference. I would search those forums for a more accurate response though....

Good luck with your decision.

Dun Canoein 06-17-2006 09:37 AM

Hi Chris......I hear you...Baja is a much bigger company but so far, I'm sure not impressed with their very poor response to emails etc.........actually, their "NO" response to my emails. I've had a Baja before (nice boat) but no actual experience with Sunsation but I must say, their factory reps are very helpful and easy to get in touch with.

NefariousOne....Those are pretty impressive speeds. The OL with 496's tops out at 78 max (the one I tested 76) and is supposed to do 90 with 525's and ITS drives. The cabin on the OL is good but I can't give you a comparison since I haven't seen a 32SS. Your point about the ITS on the 32SS seems to match other comments I have heard about using them on stepped hulls........waste of money (12 to 14K) but they work well on Bajas v hull. Sunsation has offered to fly me and mama bear to the factory to test one.....probably should take them up on it to help me make up my mind. Have a good one.

ZP\'d 06-17-2006 10:04 AM

Easiest answer in a compariosn yet this year. :rolleyes:
SUNSATION hands down in any and every category!

The 32SS is not a Dominator 32. It's a MUCH bigger boat. You won't even think about the Outlaw again once you see the SS from Sunsation.. :D

Jayl13 06-17-2006 10:28 AM

To me, thats like comparing Surround sound system to a transistor radio. In that size range there are plenty of boats to choose from. Im not much of a baja fan since I have had one and had nothing but major issues with it and the way it was built (granted it was a much older boat and they have made leaps and bounds in their ability to build boats)
The sunsations use a padded bottom which in the rough will give you a much rougher ride in snotty water but will be alot faster. Like everything There are trade off's. If you are looking for the fastest 30-32 boat you will have to sacrifice some amenities and rough water performance. For the buck, size and amenities, a 35 fountain might be right up your alley. Probably less expensive, faster than both, better amenities than most boats built and a dealer network that easily rivals Baja and they do call you back.
Just a thought.
J

MegaByte*3 06-17-2006 10:33 AM

Dun Canoein:

You are comparing a mass production product to a semi-custom one.

The answer to your question lies in (1) your demo ride and (2)your comfort with support from your local dealership. As a Sunsation dealer, I can assure you that the factory support from Sunsation is outstanding. However, it is your local dealership that will ultimately deliver that service to you.

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have regarding Sunsation and I would urge you to go visit the manufacturing plant.

Tom

ChromeGorilla 06-17-2006 12:16 PM

Jay..... a 32SS does not have a pad bottom..... The 288 and 32 dominator do, but not the 32SS.

And the 35 Lightning optioned similarly is not near the same price as a 32SS...... my buddy shopped both and the Sunsation was a way better value. And I would bet a 12 pack that the cabin on a 32SS is the same size as a 35 Lightning.

Dun... where are you located? You should locate the appropriate dealers and drive both..... then choose which you like best...... I have a good guess it would be the Sunsation.

Dun Canoein 06-17-2006 12:21 PM

ZP'd....thanks for your input

Jayl13......I looked into the Executioner and Lightening and they were both quite a bit more $ with the 525's which is the way I want to go. With 496HO's they are close in price.....at least this is what I found in my research so far.

Megabyte....I am trying to arrange a visit to the Sunsation factory this coming week. My biggest problem (with buying any of these boats) is I live north of the border......you know, the land of the 14' aluminums with 9.9 kickers!!! ......so I am forced to purchase from a dealer that is not close to me. I'm not overly concerned about this though since I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and as long as the boat I choose doesn't have some major cosmetic/structural flaw, I should be OK. I'm going to give you a call now.

Thanks again to you all,

Jupiter Sunsation 06-17-2006 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by ChromeGorilla
Jay..... a 32SS does not have a pad bottom..... The 288 and 32 dominator do, but not the 32SS.

And the 35 Lightning optioned similarly is not near the same price as a 32SS...... my buddy shopped both and the Sunsation was a way better value. And I would bet a 12 pack that the cabin on a 32SS is the same size as a 35 Lightning.

Dun... where are you located? You should locate the appropriate dealers and drive both..... then choose which you like best...... I have a good guess it would be the Sunsation.

Chrome, I like Heineken so pay up! A 32 SS has a significantly bigger cabin than a Fountain product. I would agree a 32 Dominator and a Fountain are close but the new SS is much larger and has a separate head.

Dun,

Once you meet the guys at Sunsation you will be all done, you will just have to pcik your colors and write the check!

ChromeGorilla 06-17-2006 09:40 PM

Jeez.... I was tryin to say it's at least as big if not bigger than th 35.....

BigJ is down in Ft. Lauderdale this weekend picking up the new 32SS.....

CAP071 06-17-2006 10:40 PM

Sunsation Hands Down

99fever27 06-18-2006 01:04 AM

Welcome aboard.... I havent been in either boat. Just wanted to welcome you to OSO. :D

beachbob 06-18-2006 01:37 AM

Baja Baha Baha Baha Baha Baha, Baja Baha Baha Baha Baha Baha, Baja Baha Baha Baha Baha

boatme 06-18-2006 07:26 AM

I am a Sunsation dealer

Call me I will see if i can answer some of your questions

Marc
Cell 616-638-2215

rainorshine 06-18-2006 08:22 AM

I owned 2 Bajas and bought a Dominator in'04, I couldn't be more pleased with the quality,ride,performance, and factory support with my Sunsation. The guys at Sunation are top notch people and will help with any issue no matter how big or small. IMHO you'll be happier with the SS.

trimman 06-18-2006 08:49 AM

Sunsations customer service is second to none, i have a 14 year old 25 'sunsation i can call the factory talk to joe (1 of the owners) about an issue, ! their glass work is excellent, i don't have a single stress crack! we are looking to upgrade after this season and another sunsation is high on out list! Boatme we'll be up by you next weekend in spring lake what kind of sunsation inventory do you have? Theres a buch of us sunsation folk coming over !

PWRQWST 06-18-2006 11:17 AM

Have not owned either but from the friends that I have with both, and the times I have rode on them both I would have to say Sunsation all the way. There fit and finish is excellent and they put more time into each boat. Yes they are a smaller company but that is what makes them better in my opinion. You can call the factory and get the owner, I dont know if you can call Baja (or Brunswick) and get the owner. 525 with ITS would be a great set up. I suggest you go into the Sunsation section and talk to them over there they will answer all your question. You should just call Sunsation dirrect and talk to an owner and try to call Baja and see what happens. What ever you do good luck with your decision and enjoy what ever you buy. :D

Rich.

Dun Canoein 06-18-2006 03:11 PM

You guys are a great help. I have tentatively booked a flight to spend this Wednesday at the factory pending their schedule there.

Jupiter Sunsation...I hope it goes exactly as you say. If I like the boat, it's a done deal.

Capo71.....thank you
99Fever27.....Thanks for the welcome....sure glad I found you guys as it's been a huge education for me so far.
Baha Baha Bob.....I mean BeachBob!!!!....thanks.
RainorShine.....great to hear that you had the Baja experience and then the Sunsation and like the later better. I have only had a 25 OL(good boat)but let me tell you, the poor service I am receiving from Baja direct and their dealers leaves alot to be desired.
Trimman....Good service is important to me as well.
Boatme......Marc, I'm calling your cell as soon as I'm finished this post to discuss some numbers with you.

Thanks again guys!!

Mentalpause 06-18-2006 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dun Canoein
You guys are a great help. I have tentatively booked a flight to spend this Wednesday at the factory pending their schedule there.

Jupiter Sunsation...I hope it goes exactly as you say. If I like the boat, it's a done deal.

Capo71.....thank you
99Fever27.....Thanks for the welcome....sure glad I found you guys as it's been a huge education for me so far.
Baha Baha Bob.....I mean BeachBob!!!!....thanks.
RainorShine.....great to hear that you had the Baja experience and then the Sunsation and like the later better. I have only had a 25 OL(good boat)but let me tell you, the poor service I am receiving from Baja direct and their dealers leaves alot to be desired.
Trimman....Good service is important to me as well.
Boatme......Marc, I'm calling your cell as soon as I'm finished this post to discuss some numbers with you.

Thanks again guys!!

You will enjoy the trip to the factory. All the folks there are great. When you get back give me an update on my boat they are building. It should be easy to find. If you take a camera take some pictures also.

Jupiter Sunsation 06-18-2006 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
You will enjoy the trip to the factory. All the folks there are great. When you get back give me an update on my boat they are building. It should be easy to find. If you take a camera take some pictures also.

It will be the one with the cobbwebs on it and the sign that says that if the owner calls tell him we are working on it now.....

John, Boat looks awesome and last post by Slaminator said next week they are shooting #2 so that sounds promising for your boat (as in they are almost done)

Lucky Strike Jr 06-18-2006 06:21 PM

Hideaway Marina is also a Sunsation dealer. They have a few on the floor. Call Eddie and tell him Bobby Berk sent you! 954-943-3200

Mentalpause 06-18-2006 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
It will be the one with the cobbwebs on it and the sign that says that if the owner calls tell him we are working on it now.....

John, Boat looks awesome and last post by Slaminator said next week they are shooting #2 so that sounds promising for your boat (as in they are almost done)

I agree - they have to get mine out of there in order to have room to rig the second one.

CAP071 06-18-2006 07:51 PM

I seen the 4th one advertised on the web somewhere. I think it was on Boattrader.com it said boat #4

Mentalpause 06-18-2006 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by CAP071
I seen the 4th one advertised on the web somewhere. I think it was on Boattrader.com it said boat #4

I think that is going to a dealer in Michigan. I heard the guy who is getting boat number 2 decided to try the new Merc 700s. Boat 3 goes to Hideaway with a pair of 850s.

CAP071 06-18-2006 07:56 PM

I can't wait to see the finished boat. I really do think they are gonna be stealing customers away from other boat companies once they get rolling these bad boys out. :evilb:

Mentalpause 06-18-2006 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by CAP071
I can't wait to see the finished boat. I really do think they are gonna be stealing customers away from other boat companies once they get rolling these bad boys out. :evilb:

Have you followed the pics on the thread in the Sunsation forum lately. They are doing a nice job on the rigging.

CAP071 06-18-2006 08:04 PM

OH IT'S AWESOME :evilb:

I iwsh I had never sold my 288 Sunsation :(

cosmic12 06-18-2006 08:25 PM

go for the sunsation....... I have seen to many Bajas turn to junk in no time. while you are looking ck out the new 33 Active Thunder. its a true 33 ft boat. :cool:

boatme 06-19-2006 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by trimman
Sunsations customer service is second to none, i have a 14 year old 25 'sunsation i can call the factory talk to joe (1 of the owners) about an issue, ! their glass work is excellent, i don't have a single stress crack! we are looking to upgrade after this season and another sunsation is high on out list! Boatme we'll be up by you next weekend in spring lake what kind of sunsation inventory do you have? Theres a buch of us sunsation folk coming over !

Trimman, I have a 28' Mid Cabin, 32' Mid Cabin, and a 32' closed bow all in stock we have hull number 4 and hull number 6 of the F-4 ordered

Dun Canoein, Good to talk to you yesterday

we will be talking later today

Marc

JS232 06-19-2006 07:17 AM

30 OL good ans solid ride. Little slower than the Sunsation with same power. Deep-Vee with no steps. Safer than a Stepped bottom.

32SS has the Innovator bottom (aggressive V). NO PADS but steps. The 32SS's cabin is bigger than the 30OL...

Money wise, I'd go with the Baja (A huge difference)

But my heart breaks for the 32SS...

BTW, I am a 25 OL owner :D Good luck

Boomer 880 06-19-2006 07:28 AM

Sunsation... but I would also look at the new 33 AT as another option.

Gook luck!

Dun Canoein 06-19-2006 11:22 AM

The factory wasn't able to accomodate me this week and it's the only time I can get away due to business. I guess Joe got way too much sun on the week-end and is layed up for a few days. Anyway, I was able to locate a dealer that has one in stock (not with 525's though but at least I will be able to see what the boat is like). I fly out tomorrow, meet with him Wednesday and if I like the boat, I'll buy one by the end of the week. I'll get back to you all later this week. Thanks again......you've all been a great help.

TeamSaris 06-19-2006 12:06 PM

The suns are great boats. Speed agiltiy performance come standard. But the baja will be more of a wave crusher.

Mentalpause 06-19-2006 12:39 PM

Joe did a boat show this past weekend. By the time he gets back to the office I bet he will be way behind again.

UNSANE 06-19-2006 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by NefariousOne
Dun Canoein..... My good friend just bought a 32SS with HO's. Drove down to Jax and rode with him in the poker run. I was VERY impressed with this boat.

IMO there is no comparison. The Sunsation is bigger and out performs the Baja. I do not know the cabin size on the 30 OL but I was surprised how large the cabin was on the 32SS.

As far as performance..... His 496HO boat will run 86 MPH. A 32SS with 525's is a 95 MPH boat.

I would buy the 32SS. Hands down.

As far as adding ITS, I can't remeber, but this was discussed on the Sunsation forums and if I recall I don't think it made a difference. I would search those forums for a more accurate response though....

Good luck with your decision.

You mean this Sunsation???
Since you're not paying you can view the pic here
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...okerrun001.jpg