Putting Price in Classifieds >

Putting Price in Classifieds

Notices

Putting Price in Classifieds

Old 06-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Putting Price in Classifieds

We all no the no price game ..Usually a dealer who can "fit you into something".. Waste of time ! I skip right over the no pricers unless its something im realy hot for
Old 06-29-2006, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TRICK
I've explained this before, but apparently it needs to be explained again.

Some manufacturers require distributors to sign MAP agreements.

That's minimum advertised pricing. That prevents us from actual publishing our real selling price. They see this as a way to protect dealers who may not have the discount that distrubutors have.

Skip over ads without prices if you want. Just keep in mind you may very well spend more for the product elsewhere.

I list prices whenever I can. But on several lines, I sell substantially below what I'm allowed to advertise at.
Fred,

Being a business owner myself I fully understand what you are talking about. I may have taken the genereal point of the thread differently though. I take it as a jab at boat ads rather than parts. If this is the case, I agree with the complaint. If it's meant as a jab towards your type of advertising I disagree.

Buck
Old 06-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TRICK
Re reading the original post, you're absolutely right. Dean clearly states that he's boat shopping.

I either have a comprehension problem or I'm a sensitive kinda guy.......nah.

I agree with Panthers take on selling a used boat. Generally, I advertise very close to what I'm willing to take in hopes that a realistic no BS price will move the boat quickly.
I wouldn't call it sensative. I would call it someone who takes pride in what they do.

Keep up the good work...

Buck

Last edited by buck183; 06-29-2006 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:02 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
It is annoying, but by not putting the phone number it will make some people curious and they will call.
That's a unique perspective.......
Old 06-29-2006, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah hell, Fred, take it like I said something bad about you, that way I get to talk you out of a beer when we all make up...

Yes, the comment is about boats, not parts....

When I see your ad for parts I ask "can I use this" if yes I call, if not I keep on keeping on;....
Old 06-29-2006, 11:43 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CASH BAR
That's a unique perspective.......

It does work sometimes. If I am looking for something I want or need and the price is not listed, most of the time I will call and get the price. You never know.

I know it's annoying, but sometimes curiosity will get the best of you
Old 06-30-2006, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While were on the subject.. Im amazed at how some/most dealers treat brokered boats around here. Im looking at a boat down the street at a fountain dealer, he has a few other lines also. The boat im looking at is filthy, dead batteries , cant open the hatch, the salesman was supposed to get the engine hours and call me back 3 days ago, the cover is half unsnapped and full of water. The whole time Im talking with the guy hes trying to bump me up into a bigger more expensive boat.Even after telling him I already have two boats and im only interested in the brokered boat..What is it these guys dont understand !
Old 06-30-2006, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
advertising 101...make the ad as descriptive as possible with alot of photos and no price. that way you'll see how many people are interested in the product your selling. if you get no action on your ad then the majority of the time the market for that product is soft. price doesnt sell products, quality does
Sorry, but the no price to generate calls philosophy is prehistoric. Sellers need to step out of the stone age and realize that there 1960's sales techniques are very out dated. It's the information age for god sakes.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Caincando1
Sorry, but the no price to generate calls philosophy is prehistoric. Sellers need to step out of the stone age and realize that there 1960's sales techniques are very out dated. It's the information age for god sakes.
Precisely. It doesn't take 5 minutes on the internet on a forum like this one to find out what a reasonable price for something should be.....having said that, when I don't see a price one can only wonder what kind of game the seller is trying to play? I'm speaking of private sellers here, not distributers or dealers - there are exceptions are like Fred mentioned when they're bound by the OEM not to disclose pricing.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe they think without showing a price is does not commit them to selling it possibly for less than someone would offer??? Thats the only half reasonable meaning for doing this. But just as everyone else says, there are plenty of boats out there, so you can already tell what you are willing to pay for the boat by the description and pics just be looking at comparables, so not showing a price seems to make me assume that the price is too high anyways.

Quick Reply: Putting Price in Classifieds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.