Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Putting Price in Classifieds (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/134024-putting-price-classifieds.html)

dean51267 06-29-2006 03:38 PM

Putting Price in Classifieds

Can OSO post a notice in the section where you start a classified add that says "IT PISSES OSO MEMBERS OFF IF YOU DO NOT INCLUDE A PRICE IN YOUR AD, IF YOU DO NOT INCLUDE A PRICE, AND DO NOT GET CALLS, CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED"....

I am looking at boats now, looking to buy in reasonably short order, and I for one am not even about to click on an ad with no price cause I know right away if I call I am going to rotten azzed used car salesman who decided he could make a truck load of money selling boat trying all the nickel azzed negotiation games.

Am I just off my rocker, or does everyone else look at this with the same disdain I do???

cuda 06-29-2006 03:52 PM

Re: Putting Price in Classifieds

Let us know when you start your own website, then you can make the rules.

There is such a rule on donzi.net

CigDaze 06-29-2006 04:10 PM

I'm with you, Dean. I hate it when there is no price in a classified. I usually ignore those and move on.
I have much more lengthy posts on this matter here, didn't feel like retyping it all:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=125650
:D

Panther 06-29-2006 04:11 PM

Amen.. when ever I see that I just assume I dont want to know the price cause it's too high... :eek:

And how about pricing it right so it actually moves... :rolleyes:

cuda 06-29-2006 04:15 PM

Yeah, I should point out I don't look at them either if there is no price.

BY U BOY 06-29-2006 04:16 PM

I Skip Right Over The Ones That Are Not Priced.

Semper Fi 06-29-2006 04:18 PM

It is annoying, but by not putting the phone number it will make some people curious and they will call.

berns29scarab 06-29-2006 04:21 PM

If and i stress IF the shopper/potential buyer is educated enuff then he should know the price range anyway. just my .02

sakoutis3 06-29-2006 04:22 PM

I never even consider an ad if there is no price I got better things to do than play phone tag just to find out some body's crazy. :cool:

Panther 06-29-2006 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
If and i stress IF the shopper/potential buyer is educated enuff then he should know the price range anyway. just my .02

I agree with you 100%. It's just that some sellers think they have a pot of gold and some buyers whan something for nothing.

I always post a price and it's pretty darn close to what I'll let it go for. Time is $$

dean51267 06-29-2006 04:31 PM

I see more now that I am looking, but if I am trying to steal something the seller should want to prohibit me from calling so I am not wearing him out with ridiculous offers, but the same token if he is one of those who thinks their stuff is make of gold, then I do not want to mess with them as a buyer.

Seems like a REAL good way to attract the rotten prospective buyer, and an offer from a rotten prospective seller.

These guys must have taken the 1970's sales course that assumed everyone was dumb and could be reeled in like a fish. It appears they believe the consumer is dumb, and if they get to tell them about the boat their sales ability can sway a buyer to shell out more money than it is worth.

berns29scarab 06-29-2006 04:58 PM

advertising 101...make the ad as descriptive as possible with alot of photos and no price. that way you'll see how many people are interested in the product your selling. if you get no action on your ad then the majority of the time the market for that product is soft. price doesnt sell products, quality does

berns29scarab 06-29-2006 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by sakoutis3
I never even consider an ad if there is no price I got better things to do than play phone tag just to find out some body's crazy. :cool:

i had thiss go the other way. in 2002 i was selling my 2000 fatboy. had it advertised for $16900.00 the paper screwed up and put $6900.00. WOULD YOU BELIEVE PEOPLE ACTUALLY CALLED LOOKING TO BUY IT. THE BUYERS ARE CRAZIER THEN THE SELLERS...BUYERS ARE LIARS THE MAJORITY OF THE TIME. I DEAL WITH THEM 50 HOURS A WEEK.

camptappakeg69 06-29-2006 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by dean51267
Can OSO post a notice in the section where you start a classified add that says "IT PISSES OSO MEMBERS OFF IF YOU DO NOT INCLUDE A PRICE IN YOUR AD, IF YOU DO NOT INCLUDE A PRICE, AND DO NOT GET CALLS, CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED"....

I am looking at boats now, looking to buy in reasonably short order, and I for one am not even about to click on an ad with no price cause I know right away if I call I am going to rotten azzed used car salesman who decided he could make a truck load of money selling boat trying all the nickel azzed negotiation games.

Am I just off my rocker, or does everyone else look at this with the same disdain I do???

Yeah I agree, post the price, look what happened to me almost bought calling and then find out the issues a company has :eek: :eek: :D :D

Poorsche 06-29-2006 05:15 PM

Even worse than No Price is the old "Call for Price" trick. If they know price when you call, they know it when they dream up the ad. Dealers especially ought to know better.

Spicy 06-29-2006 05:29 PM

I've got the price in mine.......

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-10826.html

All kidding aside, I do find it annoying, why would a seller want that many more tire kickers calling him and asking how much???

Tony Montana 06-29-2006 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by sakoutis3

LOL :drink: :evilb: :evilb: I hate the no price game. Why waste time with call for price games? :rolleyes:

offshoredrillin 06-29-2006 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Spicy
I've got the price in mine.......

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-10826.html

All kidding aside, I do find it annoying, why would a seller want that many more tire kickers calling him and asking how much???

agreed best point made!!!

Zudnic 06-29-2006 05:39 PM

i had thiss go the other way. in 2002 i was selling my 2000 fatboy. had it advertised for $16900.00 the paper screwed up and put $6900.00. WOULD YOU BELIEVE PEOPLE ACTUALLY CALLED LOOKING TO BUY IT. THE BUYERS ARE CRAZIER THEN THE SELLERS...BUYERS ARE LIARS THE MAJORITY OF THE TIME. I DEAL WITH THEM 50 HOURS A WEEK.

When I was selling cars auto trader miss printed our prices all the time. Wish I had a dollar for every potential buyer who said they would sue us for false advertising and get the printed price......

PWRCAT 06-29-2006 05:53 PM

Just for you guys i put a price back in my ad. I felt like all the dealers who post put call and that i was prob missing allot of potential buyers to the call and upsell deal that i pulled my price. I would also rather see a price to know if i should bother or not. seams like boats have a very odd value cycle so who knows. you really can grab a NADA and look up a custom boat. Anyway good info.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-8086.html

Pantera1 06-29-2006 06:00 PM

We all no the no price game ..Usually a dealer who can "fit you into something".. Waste of time ! I skip right over the no pricers unless its something im realy hot for

buck183 06-29-2006 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by TRICK
I've explained this before, but apparently it needs to be explained again.

Some manufacturers require distributors to sign MAP agreements.

That's minimum advertised pricing. That prevents us from actual publishing our real selling price. They see this as a way to protect dealers who may not have the discount that distrubutors have.

Skip over ads without prices if you want. Just keep in mind you may very well spend more for the product elsewhere.

I list prices whenever I can. But on several lines, I sell substantially below what I'm allowed to advertise at.

Fred,

Being a business owner myself I fully understand what you are talking about. I may have taken the genereal point of the thread differently though. I take it as a jab at boat ads rather than parts. If this is the case, I agree with the complaint. If it's meant as a jab towards your type of advertising I disagree.

Buck

buck183 06-29-2006 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by TRICK
Re reading the original post, you're absolutely right. Dean clearly states that he's boat shopping.

I either have a comprehension problem or I'm a sensitive kinda guy.......nah. :D :D :D

I agree with Panthers take on selling a used boat. Generally, I advertise very close to what I'm willing to take in hopes that a realistic no BS price will move the boat quickly.

I wouldn't call it sensative. I would call it someone who takes pride in what they do. ;)

Keep up the good work...

Buck

Cash Bar 06-29-2006 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
It is annoying, but by not putting the phone number it will make some people curious and they will call.

That's a unique perspective....... :rolleyes: :D

dean51267 06-29-2006 11:27 PM

Ah hell, Fred, take it like I said something bad about you, that way I get to talk you out of a beer when we all make up... :p

Yes, the comment is about boats, not parts....

When I see your ad for parts I ask "can I use this" if yes I call, if not I keep on keeping on;....

Semper Fi 06-29-2006 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by CASH BAR
That's a unique perspective....... :rolleyes: :D

It does work sometimes. If I am looking for something I want or need and the price is not listed, most of the time I will call and get the price. You never know.

I know it's annoying, but sometimes curiosity will get the best of you :D

Pantera1 06-30-2006 08:20 AM

While were on the subject.. Im amazed at how some/most dealers treat brokered boats around here. Im looking at a boat down the street at a fountain dealer, he has a few other lines also. The boat im looking at is filthy, dead batteries , cant open the hatch, the salesman was supposed to get the engine hours and call me back 3 days ago, the cover is half unsnapped and full of water. The whole time Im talking with the guy hes trying to bump me up into a bigger more expensive boat.Even after telling him I already have two boats and im only interested in the brokered boat..What is it these guys dont understand !

Caincando1 06-30-2006 09:06 AM

advertising 101...make the ad as descriptive as possible with alot of photos and no price. that way you'll see how many people are interested in the product your selling. if you get no action on your ad then the majority of the time the market for that product is soft. price doesnt sell products, quality does

Sorry, but the no price to generate calls philosophy is prehistoric. Sellers need to step out of the stone age and realize that there 1960's sales techniques are very out dated. It's the information age for god sakes. :D :D :D

CigDaze 06-30-2006 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Caincando1
Sorry, but the no price to generate calls philosophy is prehistoric. Sellers need to step out of the stone age and realize that there 1960's sales techniques are very out dated. It's the information age for god sakes. :D :D :D

Precisely. It doesn't take 5 minutes on the internet on a forum like this one to find out what a reasonable price for something should be.....having said that, when I don't see a price one can only wonder what kind of game the seller is trying to play? I'm speaking of private sellers here, not distributers or dealers - there are exceptions are like Fred mentioned when they're bound by the OEM not to disclose pricing.

375stinger 06-30-2006 09:33 AM

Maybe they think without showing a price is does not commit them to selling it possibly for less than someone would offer??? Thats the only half reasonable meaning for doing this. But just as everyone else says, there are plenty of boats out there, so you can already tell what you are willing to pay for the boat by the description and pics just be looking at comparables, so not showing a price seems to make me assume that the price is too high anyways. :rolleyes:

Panther 06-30-2006 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by 375stinger
Maybe they think without showing a price is does not commit them to selling it possibly for less than someone would offer??? Thats the only half reasonable meaning for doing this. But just as everyone else says, there are plenty of boats out there, so you can already tell what you are willing to pay for the boat by the description and pics just be looking at comparables, so not showing a price seems to make me assume that the price is too high anyways. :rolleyes:

Not putting the price is a control mechanism for the seller. We call these people "Bull in a China Closet". When the potential buyer calls the seller feels like they are in the drivers seat, they can dictate the direction of the call. As a rule of thumb the price isn't listed because it's up there in the price range... :eek:

I call a spade a spade... I list the price. If I don't get calls it's because my price is too high or there's simply no interest.

If someone is so confident in their product they shouldn't be afraid so say what they want for it or use dated sales techniques to lure in a potential buyer. That's car salesman mentality. :drink:

Jonas 06-30-2006 10:50 AM

i agree when i was shopping for a boat i liked seeing prices most didnt have especially all the big brokers/dealers..
i had price on boat trader it, i didnt on oso as fountain dealer i was going to list with said not to,,
my situation was also diff due to i basically want to work a trade..
I was hoping to find someone that had a clean smaller single and work out something that makes sense for both of us,,
no such luck yet,
so its going to lake tahoe,,
may need to buy a set of props due to 6500 ft elevation.
and a full cover too!! it kills me its going to have to sit outside,,,,

Jonas 06-30-2006 10:54 AM

one thing,,
when i finally decided i was a serious buyer for a newer 35 i would call on all the boats listed price or not,,
when i was tire kicking not really ready i would only look at the ones with price,,
sure it was an excercise but that was to my benefit,,
alot of times its good as less people have called on it due to no price listed,. + it seems if no price maybe they are more open to creative dealings, carry back, trades etc.

Cash Bar 06-30-2006 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
It does work sometimes. If I am looking for something I want or need and the price is not listed, most of the time I will call and get the price. You never know.

I know it's annoying, but sometimes curiosity will get the best of you :D

Semper, you missed my point. I was phuckin' with ya' about the "no phone number makes people call"........HUH? :eek:

itilldo 06-30-2006 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by CASH BAR
Semper, you missed my point. I was phuckin' with ya' about the "no phone number makes people call"........HUH? :eek:

yea...I was thinking the same thing...how can one call if the number is not listed?

Maybe he meant the part about that "curiosity kills a lot of people" statement.

Chris288 06-30-2006 01:40 PM

I was going through the Sunsation classifieds about two hours ago looking at 32 SS 's and was thinking the same thing,,, put a damn price in the ad...

dockrocker 06-30-2006 01:40 PM

I'm in the same boat, no pun intended. No price = pass. Lots of boats out there....

375stinger 06-30-2006 01:44 PM

I understand how if someone is truly serious about a boat they will ask, but how is someone going to be truly serious about a boat when they are not even sure if they can afford it? You look for someone who really needs to get out, and that is where you are going to get your best deal, and odds are someone who will not put their price they want in the add does not need out or has not been sitting on that boat very long.

Chris Sunkin 06-30-2006 03:42 PM

This is the core question-

If I wouldn't like the price you list in the ad, what will you say to me when I call that you omitted in the description that will make me like the price when I hear it?

21ptl40 06-30-2006 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by dean51267

That would be as bad as getting a rotten azzed C.P.A. that does your books and just screws you with his usual pricing. I guess profit is only good in some occupations!