Notices

put-in-bay

Old 07-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default put-in-bay

I am trying to plan a trip to put-in-bay. We are planing to leave Evansville IN some time Thursday morning on July 20. Mapquest tells me it will be a 7 to 8 hour drive to Sandusky so it will be late in the day when we get there. Where would be a goood place to launch and stay the first night? Then we could just boat over and stay at the Island Friday and Saturday. Please send me info about put-in -bay.I never have been.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:38 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: put-in-bay

Ill let the experts tell you the best place to launch but heres some info on PIB.

http://www.putinbay.com/

While your that close, you might want to run over to Kelleys Island.

http://www.kelleysislandchamber.com/dining/dining.htm

Old 07-03-2006, 07:52 AM
RHC
Registered

Sandusky has a great launch ramp with parking for big rigs,,, The police cruise the lot all nite and its free for as long as you want to stay!!! PIB is about 15 miles away ,,, there are lots of Motels in Sandusky ,, but ,, get online and make Res. I would recommend the Budget Inn,,, 419-626-3610,, They supported our poker run and gave us great rates for the weekend,,, you should have no problem getting a room during the week,,, but ,,, call ahead.. ,Let me know if ya need help !!

RHC
Old 07-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't been there in a few years, but ride over early on the 21'st. If you launch out in Port Clinton/Marblehead area, it's a really short boat ride - going to Sandusky is almost going past the Island and back tracking if coming from IN.
You may not get dockage if you don't get there by noon on a Friday. Make sure you have plenty of fenders, you will likely be rafted off someone, or someone will be rafting off you. Expect people to walk across your transom to get to their own boat, and expect them to be partying late into the night - used to be the bars closed at 1:00am, and the party moved to the docks, don't know if that's still the case. That weekend is likely X-mas in July - really good time to go if you're a hardcore partier. Put some X-mas lights on your boat, and bring a Santa Claus hat.
PIB can get pretty wild, so if your bringing children, you may want to watch it. After about 7:00 the island is not rated PG.

It's a nice place to see during the day, plenty to do, but the party really kicks off at night. Key West of the North - have a good time!
Wish I was going.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:24 PM
Registered

That weekend is in fact X-Mas in July Good choice!!

That's the busiest weekend of the year if it were me I'd leave as early as you can in the morning and just shoot over to the bay when you get to sandusky. The dock fee is $1.40 per foot at the public docks so it's probably cheaper than staying at any hotel plus you'll be guaranteed a dock space. Even if you go early Friday you should still be able to get in but I would guess by early afternoon Friday it will be full.

Have fun and don't worry the water snakes around the docks aren't poisonous.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Registered

I went up there about 15 years ago with a 201 liberator it was a wild week-end so many women so little time the water was pretty calm going over coming back was something else. Had to be careful but it sure was fun
Old 07-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info . We heard its a good party thats why we are going. No kids just me and the little woman and anouther couple. We will be statying on the boat for the weekend. Since it will be late Thursday we thought of launchng and staying on the main land that night and boating over Friday. Looking for a marinia to stay in.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't assume it's an issue but it bears mentioning. PIB police love walking their dope-sniffing dogs up and down the docks. I've seen them toss a boat and hook it while the occupants were elsewhere.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wetpleasure
I am trying to plan a trip to put-in-bay. We are planing to leave Evansville IN some time Thursday morning on July 20. Mapquest tells me it will be a 7 to 8 hour drive to Sandusky so it will be late in the day when we get there. Where would be a goood place to launch and stay the first night? Then we could just boat over and stay at the Island Friday and Saturday. Please send me info about put-in -bay.I never have been.
What boat are you taking?
Old 07-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are going Wed night or thur. Marblehead is a good place to launch straight shot up the east side of the the island. Docks are on the north side of the island. Mazuriks(not sure on the spelling) state park is a nice place to launch,Thats where we launch out of everytime. Its one of the shortest distances in case the lake gets real bad. Its the first exit going over the bay bridge(west end of bridge)
The island will be very busy , it is X-MAS in july. Great weekend to go unless you want a quiet weekend.
There are public and private docks.Public docks first come basis, no in- out privlidges though. All rafting off as said. 4 boats out maximum. This is where the party is.

Quick Reply: put-in-bay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.