Notices

bad press for loto

Old 07-10-2006, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: bad press for loto

This article still has a dangerous underlying message in it and that is the press, legislators and "do-gooders" always want to point to statistical numbers as the resons they want to legislate and law a sport out of existance. There is no shortage of "idiots" on and around the water in almost any part of the world. The problem is there are also not a lot of common sense and reality around thes spots also. Jet skis, big water and crowded waterway locations do not mix well anywhere including LOTO! We, as an industry and the performance boating community need to make sure the statistics bare out the actual boat types and actual situations and conditions so that the press like this does not attempt to kill our sport based on general interpertation of the statistics. Its hard to believe there are boaters there allowed to run up and down a 3/4 mile wide body of water in 50-65 foot motoryachts with the wakes they can produce. I know as a former Coastie that on any navigable waters within the US. you are fully responsible for all damgages and injuries caused by your wake in a boat of any size at any speed. Sounds like local law enforcement should hand out a few large citations for this particular problem!n. Remember too, if your boat , property or family is damaged or injured you can take legal action against the responsible boat and skipper without a citation being issued!

Ray @ Raylar
Old 07-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Re: bad press for loto

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
This article is propaganda against John getting his F4 wet! Big brother trying to extend the wait for Mentalpause!
I started boating on that lake almost 20 years ago in an 18 foot tri hull. Separated the hull and deck on Memorial Day weekend the first season I owned it.

Like Knot for Me says - use common sense and you will be fine. Of course common sense might suggest you not try to go to Party Cove in a Jon Boat.

I pretty much use the jet ski before 10am, then put it back on the lift for the day. Knot for Me tried using it July 3 mid day. He took it out the cove toward the main channel and his better sense made him come back in about 3 minutes.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ray, its unbelievable the intensity of waves hitting the seawalls. I've built 5 houses this year in porta cima between highest traffic areas, water hits one of my walls that is 7-6" above water level and tops it by at least 5-6', one of my 10" concrete walls with a matte of number 4 steel bars in it already has a nice vertical crack in it, I sat by the pool over the 4th and the percussion of energy off the walls could be heard all the way up at the pool level. A good friend of mine had 40k of damage done on his 160k dock just in one year by the new bridge, wiggler
Old 07-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Banned

Ray, its unbelievable the intensity of waves hitting the seawalls. I've built 5 houses this year in porta cima between highest traffic areas, water hits one of my walls that is 7-6" above water level and tops it by at least 5-6', one of my 10" concrete walls with a matte of number 4 steel bars in it already has a nice vertical crack in it, I sat by the pool over the 4th and the percussion of energy off the walls could be heard all the way up at the pool level. A good friend of mine had 40k of damage done on his 160k dock just in one year by the new bridge,you guys are right the big 50-65' cruisers throw a mean wake, its not the performance boats at all, wiggler

Last edited by wiggler4490; 07-10-2006 at 07:36 PM. Reason: change
Old 07-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Steve_H

Originally Posted by Raylar
This article still has a dangerous underlying message in it and that is the press, legislators and "do-gooders" always want to point to statistical numbers as the resons they want to legislate and law a sport out of existance. There is no shortage of "idiots" on and around the water in almost any part of the world. The problem is there are also not a lot of common sense and reality around thes spots also. Jet skis, big water and crowded waterway locations do not mix well anywhere including LOTO! We, as an industry and the performance boating community need to make sure the statistics bare out the actual boat types and actual situations and conditions so that the press like this does not attempt to kill our sport based on general interpertation of the statistics. Its hard to believe there are boaters there allowed to run up and down a 3/4 mile wide body of water in 50-65 foot motoryachts with the wakes they can produce. I know as a former Coastie that on any navigable waters within the US. you are fully responsible for all damgages and injuries caused by your wake in a boat of any size at any speed. Sounds like local law enforcement should hand out a few large citations for this particular problem!n. Remember too, if your boat , property or family is damaged or injured you can take legal action against the responsible boat and skipper without a citation being issued!

Ray @ Raylar
yep!

i hate to say it, but i see a speed limit in the future. not because its actually needed but because the do-gooders and politions never get it right. also, the cruiser owners have the money and connections to sway any new laws in their favor. most of them run around plowing water at 30 mph so they dont care about speed anyway.

i also think every type of boat has a right to use the lake including cruisers, but for safety, there has to be a limit.

water patrol needs enforce laws already on the books and crack down an reckless pwc riders first and foremost. that alone would bring the accident numbers down considerably.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Registered

We Were Down During The Week Of The 4th And Saw Everything From A Waverunner Driving Thru The Boats During The Fireworks Show At The Horny Toad To Almost Running Over A Fishing Boat At 10pm At Night Fishing In The Middle Of The Lake With No Lights On. I Do Not Know How Limiting Our Speeds Is Going To Prevent Stupidity Like This, But I Think The 7 Knats On Waverunners Following Every 45+ Foot Cruiser Not Even Looking As They Jump Their Waves May Be A Better Target.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have been pulled over and even gotten a ticket for wreckless driving (the water pratrol said he saw my props twice, and thats concidered wreckless driving) then that should be the same punishment for seeing the underside of a sea doo. Granted i was racing another boat at the time but I had on my landyard and was totaly in control.

My point is that the water patrol has a law that if they see a boats props come out of the water twice or more, that it is wreckless driving, then shouldnt it apply to all watercraft including PWC

I even own a PWC and am buying another, but only ride it in coves and try to be aware of surroundings while doing it

Wild
Old 07-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild
I have been pulled over and even gotten a ticket for wreckless driving (the water pratrol said he saw my props twice, and thats concidered wreckless driving) then that should be the same punishment for seeing the underside of a sea doo. Granted i was racing another boat at the time but I had on my landyard and was totaly in control.

My point is that the water patrol has a law that if they see a boats props come out of the water twice or more, that it is wreckless driving, then shouldnt it apply to all watercraft including PWC

I even own a PWC and am buying another, but only ride it in coves and try to be aware of surroundings while doing it

Wild
My props are out 50% of the time or it's a bad day on the lake.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:42 PM
KiloKat
VIP Member

Originally Posted by wiggler4490
Ray, its unbelievable the intensity of waves hitting the seawalls. I've built 5 houses this year in porta cima between highest traffic areas, water hits one of my walls that is 7-6" above water level and tops it by at least 5-6', one of my 10" concrete walls with a matte of number 4 steel bars in it already has a nice vertical crack in it, I sat by the pool over the 4th and the percussion of energy off the walls could be heard all the way up at the pool level. A good friend of mine had 40k of damage done on his 160k dock just in one year by the new bridge, wiggler
Yeah - I had a similar problem with my marina's seawall at the 11mm on the main channel. Put large rip-rap in over the winter and it took care of the problem. Really takes the energy out of the waves before they hydraulic on the wall.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another weekend upholding the reputation of one of the most dangerous waterways.
Saturday, I drove by 1 PWC collision site in my cove. Then came upon the second fatality accident a couple miles away.
Sadly, PWC drivers dont fare to well in these situations.
http://www.mswp.dps.mo.gov/news/NRDe...2&ID=N07060097
http://www.mswp.dps.mo.gov/news/NRDe...2&ID=N07060093
Gary

Quick Reply: bad press for loto

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.