Benchley
Thanks
Old 07-14-2006, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How safe is The Bahamas?

Originally Posted by Pantera1
As far as AR-15's and salt water , you better keep em well oiled as they are mostly steel.
Not true..

The biggest steel parts are the barrel & bolt. Both the upper & lower reciever are made of aluminum. It still requires proper oil & lube to keep it pristine, but a good coat should hold you for a trip.

Marines, SEAL's, etc. all use them in salt water & keep them immersed in salt water at times during swims, etc. With a little maintenance they will do fine. On the flip side, all because a weapon is stainless, doesn't mean it won't rust either.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:51 PM
Registered

Great place to go boating on the FPC poker run.

Do not be scared if you see 1 -2's in the morning and 4 - 6's in on the way home.

What a feeling showing up in the Bahamas in a Top Gun and making in back home to Miami in a Cig.

Enjoy the journey!

Last edited by LongShot; 07-15-2006 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

I thought Pirates were only in my childhood story book... Are you guys serious about all that ? I only read page 1 and just can't beleive what I read. By safe, I thought it was shallow water, rocks whatever else physical, not human wise...
Old 07-14-2006, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
I thought Pirates were only in my childhood story book... Are you guys serious about all that ? I only read page 1 and just can't beleive what I read. By safe, I thought it was shallow water, rocks whatever else physical, not human wise...
Jeff32, I am wondering the same thing.

Now I gotta go watch Johnny Deeps new movie..what is it...oh yeah....Pirates of the Carribean
Old 07-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
Erase the Johnny Depp image with the eye patch and parrot on his shoulder and replace it with 3-4 Bahamians in a ratty skiff with gold teeth, guns and dreadlocks!

Not that they would all look like that but now you can put a face/image with a Bahamian pirate
Old 07-15-2006, 08:18 AM
Registered

Overall the Bahamas are pretty safe. Not only do you have alot of boat traffic going thru the major destinations such as Freeport, Bimini, Abaco, Paradise Island, et., there is still alot of drug/ immigrant surveillance done everyday by the DEA/ US Coast Guard/ Homeland Security. I go to alot of out of the way islands there to dive and almost daily we see a helicopter or jet flying over us just checking stuff out.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

How safe is Gand Harbor and Eluthera?
Old 07-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 574 Likes on 237 Posts

Took a 22 foot Sea Cat over to Cay Sal Bank last year to do some diving with 4 of my friends last year.For the people who don.t know where this is it is a chain of very small rocky unihabited Bahamian islands about 20 miles off Cuba,and you are supposed to check into customs first in Bimini but that would make it into a 300 mile round trip instead of a 130 mile round trip from Marathon.Well when we showed up there was 15 Cubans waving at us from this rocky island and figuring they were stranded there we cautiously came upto the island with spearguns at ready and threw them some water and an old fishpole and tackle that we had so they wouldn't die out there and they gave us a jar full of phone numbers to call friends in the states.So we get ready to dive and a u.s. coast guard cutter appears on the other side of the island and drops a tender with two coasties with guns and a Bahamian official onboard and boards us.Coasties wanted to be sure we were not there to assist the cubans or pick theem up and told us between us and them the coasties sunk the Cubans boat and put them on the island with the alternative of die or get on the cutter for a ride back to Cuba.The Bahamian official told us we were supposed to check in and out of Bimini and we told him we didn't have enough gas for that run and they let us go.Dove for 5 hours and when we went to leave the cutter chased us for ten miles before catching us and when they caught us they just gave us the once over again and let us go.

Sorry for the grammar and structure.

Last edited by tommymonza; 07-16-2006 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 574 Likes on 237 Posts

Let's here some more stories ,I love the Bahamas .

Quick Reply: How safe is The Bahamas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.