Like Tree0Likes

The Facts

Old 07-23-2006, 01:10 AM
Registered

My Boats: not shopping
Default Re: The Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom1
Please follow the thread in the Racers Forum - new info there.
Brought some stuff over cause some level headed stuff and I'm not a racer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenD
As for David Knight and Fountain, it is the general perception that Fountain has been, if not cheating, at the very least working in the gray areas of the rules for a long time. Fountain has an image problem, and as a publicly traded company, its time for some damage control. How should they do this?

Fountain builds one heck of a boat and has the best factory racing support program in the sport. They also field 80% of the V-bottom boats competing in Offshore. Numbers alone give them the advantage to be on the podium every race.

Sorry Smitty, it looks to me that you just got caught in the middle of a classic political and corporate mud slinging campaign. Its not personal…its Offshore racing.

Ken Doyle
Nothing new with any business that makes a performance product working the grey area. Porsche in example set a production car top speed record in 87 with the 928S4, still have a 928 and promo tape of the Boneville Salt Flats record run. Found out latter the car that did the run had a hot cam polished intake and some other stuff to ensure it went fast! Win on Sunday sell on Monday is an old adage from NASCARS early days. All the car companies that got caught operating in the grey suffered little from the fans and buyers of their product. Some even had their engines banned way back when and today some engines are legends of desire, hemi need I say more. Fountain sure might have some "damage control", but in the end shareholders only really care about profits, more podiums appearance means profits...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer56
In any case. We are done. Going back to have some fun with the Boyz. Smitty
The sad thing is thats just offshore racing as Mr. Doyle stated, is what leads people to leave, both teams and fans alike!!!!
Old 07-23-2006, 02:03 AM
Registered

My Boats: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer56
Smitty here on my sons computer. My last post on this issue. Basically, I give up. Done with SV. Going to race with my buddies, Those Dam Jersey Boyz. Lots more competition there than SV has had this season. Putting Major power in the Fountain, Gonna get those On the Chip Boyz Out of LI. Thanks for all the support. My advice to the Boyz, stay with OPA and the P Class they got nothin on us. Smitty
This is crazy who has nothing on you? There is something more to this story that we are not hearing.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Who Me?
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2006 38TE Fountain

Ya know I really can not believe that the majority of the OSO membership and especially those that have posted on this and other threads about The Wazzup DQ truely believes that the Wazzup Fountain was and or is the only boat that has done something like this.....come on people....wake the heck up! I guess you all really do not know as much about fast boats and or racing than I thought.
You all really think that Formula back in 2000 was that much of a faster boat than the rest of the field....haha I can tell you about illegal exhaust, light weight fly wheels, fuel coolers, weight issues at the crane that I caught and engines making more power that where looked the other way on even though they were sealed....and these were on boats, factory team boats of many other respected builders that are loved and cherished right here on OSO.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:23 AM
Registered

My Boats: 10 foot Kayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldracefan
This is crazy who has nothing on you? There is something more to this story that we are not hearing.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Registered

As I can also post here and not in the racer section - no prob. Please have mercy.
I think I remember that Mercury and Fountain signed a financial partnership - or is my memory wrong?? I mean this question as written as I am not really sure.
If this partnership is the case then the Wazzup should wait with paying back the trophies... as a not involved party has to decided that, a kind of "race court". I dont want to say that Mercury is biased.. or anything like that. I only say that one might be calm as it would be not their business to decide this case - they would be not independent anymore concerning the race teams - always under the assumption that my memory is right.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Registered

My Boats: 30' Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducktail
As I can also post here and not in the racer section - no prob. Please have mercy.
I think I remember that Mercury and Fountain signed a financial partnership - or is my memory wrong?? I mean this question as written as I am not really sure.
Brunswick basically guaranteed an $18,000,000 loan for Reggie in 1993, in exchange for a contract to buy engines exclusively from Brunswick for a number of years. Here is the link to all of the legal mumbo jumbo.

Fountain Brunswick Agreement Link
Old 07-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Registered

Okey so, I have read "bob"s posting in the racers section - he was a littlebit faster as the posting above on english took me about a quarter of an hour for writing. Bye.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Registered

Mike,
Did you ever catch the 36 fountain supercat ? If so where and how were they hiding the weight ?

Was that before your time ? Also which supercat did you catch in the worlds in 2000 ?

I know the f3 boat you found the aluminum flywheels, it also had altered drives ( one down shaft).
Old 07-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

There are cheaters in every sport. That's part of life. Some get caught, some are allowed to cheat
Old 07-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Registered

My Boats: 93 Profile, 31', twins

I am not as well versed in OSS racing as in dirt track, but in dirt track racing, which is probably More well organized than OSS events, it is an unwritten rule "find the holes in the rules and exploit them". Take a particular year 400 ci gm block and call it a 350, tweak the "stock" ignition, hide weights in the roll cages, get someone who can put a GM "seal" on a motor, look for a lightweight, but stock manifold, all that stuff. All "illegal", but everyone either does it, or wants to know how.

The fans do not care, they just want a fast race, the only people who care are the race organizers who want to organize the events in a way to make a buck. Granted, die hards, like the ones who post here, care, but we are not the real audience, the real audience is the 10,000 people who will by a $25 to $75 ticket to see a race and oggle over a race boat while they take a picture with their kids next to some guys rig....

After volunteering as a race assistant boat in two BIG events I am convinced racing on water is not much different than on dirt.... and I would bet no different than racing on pavement.....

When you get caught just fix it and look for another hole in the rules. It has been this way since people decided to race chariots, it is not gonna change now....