Notices

HTM Mishap

Old 02-04-2002, 06:37 PM
Uncle Toys

Hey Sean, thanks for the advice - points well taken. I would love to learn from experience, rather than go out and get the experience - I hope the pros wade into our discussion. However, I have a responsibility to those who ride with me. If there is a certain speed above which our ride becomes catastrophic in the event of mechanical failure, then its my duty to know that speed - and stay under it. I've got a couple more quite months at the lake to work on this. When I taught flying we would take planes up and "push the envelope," but always with a large margin of safety and never with passengers.

HavasuCat - Thanks for sharing your experience.

Old 02-04-2002, 09:11 PM
FASTCATS

HI Havasu Cat,

Generally an outboard prop shaft will "ratchet" when it is shut down, or at least that has been my experience, where an I/O will not.

Old 02-04-2002, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
saw powerboating today on speed vision. they had HTM and testing the 24's. they were talking to steve & ken. kinda wierd! you figure they might pull that episode.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:20 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

It would be interesting to know if the props were spining in rather than out. That should be easy to see in a photo.

It could be as simple as that.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:10 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Tantrum:
<STRONG>Just another quick thought. I dont know if anyone knows what the future of HTM as a business is going to be, but if they continue on (I hope they do) there are going to be interested parties that want to know what happend.</STRONG>
I spoke with Lia the other day, and she assured me that HTM is going to continue on.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:29 AM
Uncle Toys

RonP - What do you mean, it could be as simple as the props spinning in vs. out?

Old 02-05-2002, 10:44 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

We discussed this at great length in a post from T2x a few months back.

If you think about the forces generated by spining a prop you'll realize that if you spin the props in, during a turn, the inside prop will want to walk the stern into a spinout. With the props spinning out, the inside prop wants to prevent the stern from swinging out.

The outside prop my have less bite during a turn to couteract these forces.

Spinning props inward can make a well behaved boat seem out of control. The myth is that spinning in gives more stern lift and a higher speed.
Old 02-05-2002, 11:09 AM
Registered

Catmando,
I do engineering and testing and alot of structural type failures, tests, impact forces, always finding the weakest point and strengthing it and finding the next weekest point so I'm really just shooting from the hip, but to tell wether a motor came loose first, or the boat flipped first will be part of the investigation. I'm just getting to the possibility that the stringer set-up on all cat's may need to be re-thought to deal with lateral forces encountered in turns as well, such as boxing the stringers near motor mount areas to the sides of the boat would strengthen this area, but take out room for installation, ect... if this was the case??? Time and investigation will tell, but thru failure, comes improvement, just sad to see the price in this case. And I hope the findings are made available to the rest of the manufacturing community where the other OEM's can review thier practices.

[ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: advantage_ROB ]
Old 02-05-2002, 11:16 AM
Uncle Toys

Ron P - Thanks, I tried to search for that thread but couldn't find it. I tried under T2x's threads and still couldn't find it. Do you remember the title of the thread? Appreciate the help, this is something I want to learn more about.

Old 02-05-2002, 11:25 AM
DanL

I've eaten 5 or so drives on my old race Skater. And the new owner blew the intermediate housing and lower right off the back at over 100. The boat would just continue straight each time. The one time the lower locked up, the shaft just sheered and the prop was tumbling behind the boat for 100 feet.

Quick Reply: HTM Mishap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.