Miami Vice Huge Let Down! Read This! >

Miami Vice Huge Let Down! Read This!

Notices

Miami Vice Huge Let Down! Read This!

Old 07-30-2006, 10:46 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Miami Vice Huge Let Down! Read This!

Originally Posted by CASH BAR
Hey B, glad we are on the same page....

Yeah dude, you were dead on with your explaination the other day. I thought it was cool. True Vice fans will enjoy it.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Donzi38ZR
All of the Donzi scenes made the cut and MTI has some gorgeous footage too.
First of all Donzi38ZR, I think you owe me $20 !!!

Second, not quite ALL of the Donzi scenes made the cut . . . take a look at page 70 of the July issue of Powerboat magazine, and tell me where you see my Donzi in the movie . . . ? This will end up being a " Bonus Scene" on the DVD for our 5 days worth of filming, which given the choice, I would gladly do again, but still didn't make the final cut.

As for someone's comment about "everyone being paid" . . . read Typhoon's post, as it is extremely accurate as to what we were paid vs. what it cost us in time, etc. We laughed at the time, because we broke more on the boat during the filming than we did running the entire season in SBI.

It was a great experience, and there were no guarantees given to us as to the likelihood of being in the final cut, but it still sucks after waiting nearly a year for the movie to come out.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:15 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BLee
I just saw it, and liked it. I can see now that A LOT of people on OSO didn't really watch the original Miami Vice as much as they say they did. There were things throughout the entire movie that reminded me of the show. There were also plenty of boat scenes, just not the entire movie. The original show wasn't all about boats either. I hope it does well enough to make a sequel.
A lot of unfinished story lines at the end of the movie. The wife and I saw a huge open door for a sequel the way it ended.

Buck
Old 07-31-2006, 02:04 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got in from a week of houseboating on Lake Shasta and decided to take in the movie BEFORE reading anything about it here..... What a BIG mistake!

I want to thank PowerJoke Mag for pumping us all up with a great review of the movie. Too bad they are completely off the mark. The opening scene was not "a 39-foot MTI scorching across the screen...". Maybe next time Gregg Mansfield can do some fact checking and make SURE the movie he is reviewing is the same one the public will see.

As usual Hollywood has portrayed Offshore Powerboats and the owners as playboy drug dealers. Should "help promote the sport".

What a bunch of asses Micheal Mann has made of everyone! I agree the few boating shots that they included where awesome but it doesn't take away from the message they sent to the public about who we are and what offshore powerboats are about. The message is clear. Go-fast boat = drug dealer. Thanks

And for those of you who haven't seen it yet, don't bother! Bad Boys 2 had more boating. As for the rest of the movie... well it pretty much sucked! What a snoozer, the action shots where weak at best and if you want a "love story" go see Titanic. Hopefully Miami Vice will go down as fast as that ship did.

Just my .02 as an avid boater.

Fionn
Old 07-31-2006, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Browsing
First of all Donzi38ZR, I think you owe me $20 !!!

Second, not quite ALL of the Donzi scenes made the cut . . . take a look at page 70 of the July issue of Powerboat magazine, and tell me where you see my Donzi in the movie . . . ? This will end up being a " Bonus Scene" on the DVD for our 5 days worth of filming, which given the choice, I would gladly do again, but still didn't make the final cut.

As for someone's comment about "everyone being paid" . . . read Typhoon's post, as it is extremely accurate as to what we were paid vs. what it cost us in time, etc. We laughed at the time, because we broke more on the boat during the filming than we did running the entire season in SBI.

It was a great experience, and there were no guarantees given to us as to the likelihood of being in the final cut, but it still sucks after waiting nearly a year for the movie to come out.
20$ ??? Take a look back at the thread my friend, I admited the race scene was not there way way before the premier in LA ! but I'll pay up just for talking Chit if you can't find it !

Secondly, you would think that the gourgeous FULL page action image of your boat in powerboat mag, slicing to hit the pin would be nothing to frown at but I guess that's just me.
Don't know if you have seen the race scene but that boat is defenetely there in full effect.
And lastly, I don't think that F2-38ZR boat of your's can get any more famous than it already is but don't stop trying
Old 07-31-2006, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pretty disappointed in the movie after all the hype about race scenes and boat chases, etc...
Old 07-31-2006, 09:51 AM
Registered

Though I can understand the disappointment, the whining in this thread is laughable.

First, the time to complain about payment of any form is before you agree to provide the service for which you're being paid. Just a guess, but I'm guessing the studio agreed to pay you for time taken with your boats. If the feel was too low, you should have spoken up then. But my guess is you wanted the chance to have your boat in a movie. Who wouldn't?

I'm also guessing that you were in no way guaranteed that your boat would make it in the movie. Disappointing, yeah, absolutely. But always a possibility.

I reckon you told friends and family about your boat being in the movie (who wouldn't?) so you're probably even a little embarrased. But move on. Enjoy your boat. You have a month of summer lef. It's not as if your boat's appearance in Miami Vice was going to make you rich or famous.

I have my share of likes and dislikes about Powerboat, too, but to blame the magazine in any way is ridiculous. Editor Gregg Mansfield doesn't have final cut authority in Hollywood.

At the time he wrote the story he interviewed Michael Mann directly, as you can read, and I doubt that interview was easy to get. He took Mann at his word, reported what he said he planned to do with the film, and wrote his story. Mann, the studio, whoever, changed directions. The movie was just relased, the magazine came out a month before that and the story was probably written two months before that. So Mansfield's "facts," were at the time correct.

Also, he didn't "review" the movie. He wrote about a movie with boats in it an talked to the people involved. He didn't say the movie was "good" or "bad." He didn't even say he'd seen it. Based on what Michael Mann said, what I took from that story was that boats would be integral to the movie. Nothing more.

Apparently, they weren't. Disappointing but, oh well.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:11 AM
Registered

I was disappointed as well. I sat in a theater opening night with 10 people in it. It would hold hundreds. We left about an hour in. I couldn't handle it, and hour of odd camera movement and then to finally see a fast boat run and they play lame love music, wtf im out. Ill watch the whole thin on dvd or cable on a rainy day at the lake house.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Donzi38ZR
20$ ??? Take a look back at the thread my friend, I admited the race scene was not there way way before the premier in LA ! but I'll pay up just for talking Chit if you can't find it !

Secondly, you would think that the gourgeous FULL page action image of your boat in powerboat mag, slicing to hit the pin would be nothing to frown at but I guess that's just me.
Don't know if you have seen the race scene but that boat is defenetely there in full effect.
And lastly, I don't think that F2-38ZR boat of your's can get any more famous than it already is but don't stop trying
I guess you are off the hook for the $20 -- I was just giving you some grief! No doubt the magazine coverage is great, but seeing the boats on the big-screen would have been awesome.

I take it you did see the scene that was cut, but unfortunately I haven't. We were invited to go to the Miami premier at the last minute, but couldn't make the trip on such short notice.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by PWRCAT
I was disappointed as well. I sat in a theater opening night with 10 people in it. It would hold hundreds. .
Your theater must have been th eexception. The film had a $25 million opening. Number 1 for the week.

Quick Reply: Miami Vice Huge Let Down! Read This!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.