Why the powerboat industry is sinking. >

Why the powerboat industry is sinking.

Notices

Why the powerboat industry is sinking.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts
Default Re: Why the powerboat industry is sinking.

and look at the next boat I'll buy to take off of someones hands...hmmm maybe 46 or 42x?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRICK
Very interesting read.
well Fred, are you seeing increased, decreased, or consistant volume this year compared to last?
Old 07-27-2006, 03:47 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the bright side, there's fewer maroons out on the water
Old 07-27-2006, 05:20 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

I think part of it is the companies service just plan suxs.People are told well i can get that part to you in 2-3 weeks and guess what 13 weeks later you get it.I've been saying for months that the marine industry has a big whole in it about the size of the gulf of mexico.The differance between a back yard mechanic and one that advertises and that's well known.NOTHING their the same.It makes me want to get out of perf. boating.My words are directed at certain companies that i've done business with and not at ones i havn't.when you spend thousands of $$$ and call that company 12 times and they don't call you back thats where tis is coming from.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:45 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by docmanrich37
I think part of it is the companies service just plan suxs.People are told well i can get that part to you in 2-3 weeks and guess what 13 weeks later you get it.I've been saying for months that the marine industry has a big whole in it about the size of the gulf of mexico.The differance between a back yard mechanic and one that advertises and that's well known.NOTHING their the same.It makes me want to get out of perf. boating.My words are directed at certain companies that i've done business with and not at ones i havn't.when you spend thousands of $$$ and call that company 12 times and they don't call you back thats where tis is coming from.
I heard you say that almost word for word at your shop last month.
Things going better? Everything good now?

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 07-27-2006, 07:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by docmanrich37
I can totally relate to what you are saying with the boating industry.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup I agree with all statements, GAS $$ = less boating Boat Prices $$ = less Boating, Insurance $$ = less Boating, on SML, I see about a third of the boats from 2 years ago. The boating industry is heading for a serious slow down, I would dare call it a a "boating depression" I think it would have already happen if not for the boat insurance claims from hurricanes

WILL
Old 07-27-2006, 07:24 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Exactly why we build boats for a hobby , I don't do it for a living! It's a pure passion , satisfaction thing for me. Been doing it for 6 years , built a handful of boats , won a few championships , molds paid for , small , no debt. If gas goes to 10 bucks a gallon , we'll still be around!
Old 07-27-2006, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So what's the corrective action? What are they doing about it? (What can be done about it?) Incentives? New partnerships with insurance or lenders??? I wonder if Brunswick could or should consider in-house financing (like GM/FORD)...providing a competitivly lower interest rate than a third party might sway a consumer to finance with the manufacturer. At the same time collecting interest could offset some of the losses or maybe contribute to some sort of incentive. Who knows? Maybe get Boat-U.S. onboard....Boat/Trailer/Financing/Insurance/Tow-assist package deals?
Just thinking aloud.

Because there's nothing that anyone can do about fuel.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by gotime34
Which in hand affects the marina's, restaurant owners, pretty much anyone who is on or near the water.
Yep, serious snowball effect! Also, so many stories of ?able dealers and manufacturers scewing customers over! Have had many-a bad dealings myself. People paying unheard of #s for "toys" as opposed to a necessities. You would think the industry as a generalization would role out the red carpet to boat buyers and treat them like kings instead of let me get this note signed and then this buyer is out of here and we have his/her money! Ciao Buddy, don't call back until you want to buy another boat-Sucker!! Sorry, one of those days, Tracy

Quick Reply: Why the powerboat industry is sinking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.