Notices

525 SC Problems - Help!

Old 07-31-2006, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 525 SC Problems - Help!

I would check your fuel supply again. If you have a stock fuel pump set up it is run from a small cam which is part of the sea water pump assembly. If you unbolt the fuel pump there should be gear lube in there. If you find water and or fuel and the cam and lever on the fuel pump are worn that could be your problem. I have three of the same vintage and they all needed to be replaced. Do you have fuel pressure guages?
Old 08-01-2006, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like a module failure to me.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Registered

Try what Cool Trips suggested. I have seen that same problem and symptoms your having.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

I just purchased a 42 Lightning with triple 525SC's and am having the same problem on my center motor. It will start up and run fine but as soon as I try to run the motors above 3.5K the center motor will start to die. Right before it dies the tach will dance around between 0 and 1,500 RPM a few times and then just fall to zero. After the motor sits for a few moments it will show signs of life but die. This last weekend at the lake it only restarted after the other two motors were running and we were headed back to the ramp. I then tried to take it for a quick cruise to cool off and get some time on the water so I kept the motors RPMs under 3K and it ran ok for a few moments.....until it stared to overheat due to a hose that came off the oil cooler. The last mechanic that worked on the boat must have forgotten to tighten the hose clamp....because it's not there any more.

Can anyone verify that this problem has been typically related to the ignition module? The carb was always full of fuel and running around 6PSI of fuel pressure, and during some brief diagnosis time spark was intermittent.

Last edited by Precision; 05-09-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Registered

I purchased a new 1997 baja 212 islander with a 454 mag that had the same problem as you are describing. The thing would just shut off while flying across the lake and restart once I came to a stop. It turned out to be the main wiring harness from the ignition switch causing the problem. They replaced the harness and solved the problem. I would monitor power to the coil while running to see if you are losing power from the ignition switch.It may also be a ground issue somewhere with the ignition system.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by airpacker
sounds like a module failure to me.
x2 heats up and bang you are dead in the water cools down comes back! See it all the time on cars...... Check for spark next time it dies i am sure you will have zero!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by skydog
Check for spark next time it dies i am sure you will have zero!
We did and it would come and go. I just wanted some more feedback before I order a $350.00 module.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

common problems are ,,the hall effect in the distributor,my friends tach would bounce then die,,replaced the 50 dollar part and took care of it..

same problem on another friends boat and it turned out to be the alternator back feedint a/c power into the module and causing it to get hot and die,then would restart after it cooled off..oreplaced the alternator and it took care of that problem..alt was putting out between 16-19 volts..
Old 05-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Registered

You should start the suspect engine and while idling giggle every purple primary ignition wire you can find. They go to the coil, kill switches, ignition switch, alternator and module. Also giggle the ground coming out of the module and the connector into the module. If you can get it to do it again, you found the culprit.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blue thunder
You should start the suspect engine and while idling giggle every purple primary ignition wire you can find. They go to the coil, kill switches, ignition switch, alternator and module. Also giggle the ground coming out of the module and the connector into the module. If you can get it to do it again, you found the culprit.
I had an jumper wire with me when out on the lake and wired the coil directly to the battery and still had no spark. The thing that gets me is it would fire up for a split second and then die followed by no spark again for 4-5 minuets. And then it started up and ran just fine once the SBD and Port motors were running. I pulled the module and revlimiter today and from the outside they both appear to be ok, but that is just a visual inspection.

Does anyone have the 525SC tech manual flow chart for checking out the ignition system on this motor?

Quick Reply: 525 SC Problems - Help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.