Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing? >

Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Notices
View Poll Results: What kind of boats would you want to see race?
Single engine and twin engine non canopied boats
67.00%
Exotic canopied boats
33.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Old 08-03-2006, 06:00 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Originally Posted by Poo
OK ! Now I got it ! You personally lost a lot .?
More Than you know..... Too many friends to mention...

Literally dozens over the years.

But, Mark Lavin is the sword that sits in my heart....... He was killed in this boat that George Linder, Ken Adams and I created.

T2x
Attached Thumbnails Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?-my-pictures-073.jpg  
Old 08-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
This is strictly for information only , not trying to offend anybody. Would you rather see single engine and twin engine - non canopied boats race or exotic canopied boats race? I say bring back The Factory Class racing series.
Here's the original thread. It didn't ask which was safer and why. I am not trying to offend anyone here that have lost friends in the sport at all. Just reminding everyone what the original post was.

If it needs to be safer then find ways to make it safer. Loosen the courses up. Bring them offshore a little more. Keep the speeds down. Etc.

Everyone has their own opinion on which is more fun to watch, which was the reason for this thread. I WAS a television spectator and I wouldn't even bother watching the closed canopy races.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
AP:

Those motors, which are a quality pleasure boat platform, will not withstand the punishment in the mounts and center sections, and are designed primarily for a much lower speed maximum and narrower RPM range than the true racing motors of old......plus they are not available in 15" shafts....making for a lot more leverage and errant bow lift in racing conditions.

I hope and pray that Mercury re-enters the arena on the horse that brung them...the racing outboard.

T2x
Rich,

Two questions for you.

1. Would that motor be good for an application such as my 24, mounted on the transom? I am thinking about re-doing teh boat over the winter......

2. Are we on for Clayton? Should I bring the 24 for fun?

Shane

P.S. Maybe I can get Miller to join me?
Old 08-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
I like the talk about relating to the boats but then we hear about poker runs where many are running over 100 mph. There is no way you're keeping my interest watching a boat that runs slower then my pleasure boat.
That is why I can relate to it. I have a 24' boat that runs 70 mph and I love to run it in the slop! Many other boaters also have 25-30' boats running in the 60s and 70s.

Take the average guy that runs the poker runs in his 40+ footer at 100 mph and put him in a 27' F1 boat in some 4-5 footers. Let an experienced crew drive during the race and I'll bet he'd be screaming like a scared little girl in a matter of minutes!
Old 08-03-2006, 06:36 PM
Registered

I remember Gene Whipp very well. Although I did not know him well. I remember the VERY first time I met him. It was 1996. I was a rookie driving a P-Class boat (old Pro-Stock) that Rich and George built way back when. It was still competitive and we even won a few races that year. No matter who you were (or in my case wasn't) Mr. Whipp ALWAYS took the time to explain anything that needed to be and or answer any questions that anyone had. I remember that smile like it was yesterday!
Old 08-03-2006, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by T2x
This is my annual rant on the subject...than I go back to my cave.T2x
Don't let the door hit you on your way back in the cave
Old 08-03-2006, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by T2x
Did we run out of Fountain employees and "Llamas" to vote in this "Poll"?T2x
No, there were not enough satisfied OSS supporters to vote in the poll.

PS - Before this get's deleted, go back and see who made this political when it was doing so well. Rich, you're a bitter guy. I'm sad for you.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I knew Gene Whipp well. I was the APBA Offshore director in Region 14 (nobody else showed up at the meeting in offshore , they instantly voted me in). I sat on Gene's desk and he went over every picture on his wall and he told me many stories about the old days. He told me about racing a guy's boat that had been killed the day before while testing. Gene loved the smaller , open cockpit boats, he also was a good friend of Allweiss, never try and discount their relatonship! I was there at Gene's dealership before he knew he had cancer. He explained to me that while he was on vacation in his motorhome, he had been sick and was on his way to the doctor to see what's up. He didn't live long after that , rest his sole! What a great racer and friend! I'm not going to get in a pissing contest with T2x about the 70's - 80's , etc . It's a waste of time. This thread is about grass roots , professional Factory Class Racing in smaller , slower boats. I can't afford a $ 500,000 boat , I DO NOT want to do Poker Runs. I love open cockpit boats , I'm not scared to run 75 mph in 2-3 ft seas and race deck to deck. Now will somebody please answer my question:
WHAT DOES FIRST PLACE PAY IN THE BIG CAT AND V HULL CLASSES?

www.JokerPerformanceBoats.com

Last edited by THEJOKER; 08-03-2006 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Registered

With hull technology always increasing speeds of single and twin engine race boats are exceeding 80mph. In the past ten years there have been more deaths in open cockpit classes with the big push to stepped hulls and the shorter courses. If growing spectator interest means shorter courses than canopies are the way to go. With all the feuding and different sanctions the sport is dying. We need to do something. Dangerous Dave is right.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:49 PM
NRG
Registered

PS - Before this get's deleted, go back and see who made this political when it was doing so well. Rich, you're a bitter guy. I'm sad for you.
From reading the posts by T2X and seeing his occasional posts from past threads, I would say that he is not being stubborn in the traditional "I'm always right" method that he likes to throw at us once in a while - actually he seems to be REALLY seriously concerned for other peoples lives and would like as many as possible to learn a few things from his first hand experience - this experience cannot be replaced or duplicated - all up close and real - after all, his experience includes the most gut-wrenching, nightmarish experience possible - watching the young guns get hurt, and worse.

I am guessing that this man has witnessed more accidents and deaths than he cares to think of and just wants to offer experience - you know what experience costs? His is invaluable. Let's be glad we have someone like this around here - I say THANKS.

Quick Reply: Fan Question? Factory 1 and 2 VS Exotic Canopied boats racing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.