Notices

big thanks to charlie mcarthy jr

Old 08-04-2006, 10:21 AM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: big thanks to charlie mcarthy jr

Originally Posted by ratman
im still looking for pics of the beer can fuel tanks in color so i can repaint them correctly. im also interested in any historic info on the scarab michelob light boats. what happened to the one that rolled and tore a huge rip down the port side at the st pete race. it spun out and rolled after going under the skyway bridge. thx in advance for any pics, vids, or info, rm

I was the guy that filmed that event - my first offshore race to film - and what a surprise - that even started NNRT - Many thanks to the loyal core of supporters too - Thank you all -

PHIL
Old 08-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil M
I was the guy that filmed that event - my first offshore race to film - and what a surprise - that even started NNRT - Many thanks to the loyal core of supporters too - Thank you all -

PHIL

Phil:

We all really should be thanking you!!! Those early 70's films were great videos back then and even better now - those were the real glory days when offshore racing really was racing offshore...

One of my favorites is when you guys are filming the '78 Benihana West in San Fran and you guys follow the boats right UNDER the Golden Gate bridge with the HELICOPTER. I doubt you could do that today right? I also love the Argentina one too - HUGE waves...

A huge thanks to NNRT!!!!
Old 08-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OSOAdmin
That reminds me, he stopped by OSO headquarters and gave me those also. Let me convert them and put them for you all to see in the Video Section. I still like the Bahamas to Bimini Run we have in there now.
I like the Apache vid too.

YES!! Please put them up! The '79 Miami-Bimini was also a rough race...
Old 08-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chatim Racing
Phil:

We all really should be thanking you!!! Those early 70's films were great videos back then and even better now - those were the real glory days when offshore racing really was racing offshore...

One of my favorites is when you guys are filming the '78 Benihana West in San Fran and you guys follow the boats right UNDER the Golden Gate bridge with the HELICOPTER. I doubt you could do that today right? I also love the Argentina one too - HUGE waves...

Can we copy's of them ???? Will gladly send money first to cover any costs..... Gino....
Old 08-04-2006, 04:52 PM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chatim Racing
Phil:

THANK YOU CHARLIE !

during that event in SF - we almost came NOSE TO NOSE - with what my Pilot called "BIG GRAY" - we were filming Michelob light - on the deck in Fog - and all of a sudden - I am looking Skyward - and we are flying SIDEWAYS - as a Aircraft Carrier came out of the Fog - Michelob light made a 90 degree turn under our Helicopter just before we flew sideways - My question to the Pilot was - where to go now - he said - STRAIGHT UP - to get out of the fog bank - then fly back east - needles to say - we did not fly into the fog bank again - ! The Golden gate bridge was a piece of cake - flying under a "under pass" on a inter-state was a little more scary - During bad weather - we were flying back from the midwest after covering the Sandusky event - compass did not work - so we flew over Rt. 80 east - knowing there were Powerlines crossing Rt. 80 and they were in the Fog - so we just flew under - using the Rt. 80 and Rt. 81 underpass - a event I would not do again - Who said offshore racing is dangerous ?

Anyway - thanks for your comments - T2x - has the library - (video library) if any want old films - he has the orriginal masters. Contact Darren US1 as well.

For Still photos - my twin brother Peter has the complete Library of stills - some day - some one will want them - approx 850 shots that were kept out of thousands taken.

Be well Charlie - if you are in the Point Pleasant area anytime - let me know -

Phil