OT: Flowmaster on 6.0

Old 02-05-2002, 06:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use 2 , 1 in 1 out flowmasters
Old 02-05-2002, 07:25 PM
DanL

Boot, there are only 2 companies that make the inside bricks for US cat converters in the world. My converter manufacturer just did a 5 hour presentation for my guys on Friday. All bricks are the same,hi flow, regular flow, whatever. The "high flow" cats are the same bricks put into a larger body, thats it. Pay more money but nothing changes internally. I sold 12000 Flowmasters last year and 36000 new converters. We recommend applications to customers hour after hour , day after day. I sponsor 3 drag cars, national points winners, and nobody runs cats. Look for them in Gainesville in 4 weeks. Trucks with big trailers in tow up hills with stock exhaust can easily get a converter glowing, thats what they do. Let the guy buy what he wants. I was designing cats and fuel management systems in the early 80s and the technology hasn't changed one bit. Peace.

Old 02-05-2002, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Just rip the dam cats off I say ! Right ? Thanks for the info Danl
Old 02-05-2002, 08:33 PM
Registered

THat is ,if you know how to get around inspectons with no cats ! Us diesel guys have it good, we don't need them .YET ! I think 2004 becomes manditory on all diesels too. Now some have them and some don't . I think they are just testing at our expense !
Old 02-05-2002, 08:45 PM
Registered

DanL, Just wondering ,you say the cores on the cats are all the same right ? But they do make different size ones right ? Because obviously a Honda with a 1 1/2" pipe and 6" converter would not be the same or flow as much as a truck with a 4" pipe and a 12" body right ? So technicaly the trucks would be a higher flow . So I take it that if a stock cat is the same size as the so called "high flow " cat that you buy in the speed shop ,then it could not be a higher flow right ? So the cat itself would have to be bigger in size to flow more volume ? Do I have this right ?

If so ,then you guys with gas motors need to install cats from diesels ! I have some I'm cutting off !
Old 02-05-2002, 09:21 PM
DanL

hey, Boot, run into Midas, Flemington and tell Dante that he's out 90 days and to send me a check. The biscuit in the cat has the same cross-section density regardless of its size. The larger the brick, the more exhaust volume it can handle and break down. But the size of the honeycomb spaces doesn't vary. My old 94 Chevy 6.5 and my 2002 Duramax diesel both have converters. Go figure. Want more cat flow, use a larger bodied cat.

Old 02-05-2002, 10:28 PM
Registered

THanks Danl for the input . Dante is still there ? I haven't been in there in years but I think thats who was there back then . I thought the place changed hands .

I'll go down with the BAT !!