Notices

OT/ Jim Pomeroy R.I.P.

Old 08-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default OT/ Jim Pomeroy R.I.P.

A motorcycling legend died this weekend in a Jeep crash.
Jim Pomeroy, one of the best motocrossers of the 70's is gone. He was a hero of mine when I was a teenager. Jim rode for Bultaco and Honda. Back when the Eurpeans were kicking our but, Jim could bring it home and show those Euro's how it was done!
Jim was Jeep enthusiast. He was travelling down a road, dropped his glasses and went off the road. He was with his daughter. I'm told she's in critical condition. Lets hope she pulls through.
A few years back I finally got to meet Jim at a vintage dirtbike event. He was a true gentleman and a very colorful character to boot. A really cool guy with no ego. It was an honor to meet him.

Very sad, R.I.P. Jim Pomeroy

Kurt
Old 08-08-2006, 06:25 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: OT/ Jim Pomeroy R.I.P.

Kurt,
I remember Jim from my Motocross days, the Bultaco's sounded really unique. Jim RIP! And yes he could out run the Europeans at the Trophy de nations!
Dean
Old 08-08-2006, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Because of him I bought a 1975 Bultaco 250 when I was racing. RIP.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

God Speed Jim. He was a class act.

Sam
Old 08-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Neverfastenuf
God Speed Jim. He was a class act.

Sam
Right On!

Here's the full story.

From the YakimaHerald.com Online News. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Published on Monday, August 7, 2006 Printable Version E-mail to a Friend Motocross pioneer Jim Pomeroy dies in auto accident By JESSICA WAMBACH YAKIMA HERALD-REPUBLIC The motorcycling world today is mourning the death of a Yakima man who changed the face of U.S. motocross. Jim Pomeroy, known for being the first American to win a World Championship Motocross event, died Sunday morning while driving near Tampico. "When the book of motocross is written, Jim Pomeroy will be in the first chapter," said Bill Grubin, owner of Grubin and Company motorcycle shop on Fruitvale Boulevard. Pomeroy, 53, was driving west on Ahtanum Road with his 9-year-old daughter, Jamie, about 10:45 a.m. Sunday. He was 15 miles west of Yakima when he left the road, according to a news release from the Washington State Patrol. His 1979 Jeep CJ5 struck a telephone pole guy wire and came to rest on its side. Pomeroy died at the scene. His daughter sustained minor injuries; she was treated and released from Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital. The cause of the accident was driver inattention, according to the news release. Pomeroy lived in Yakima with his wife, Linda, and their daughter. He came from a long line of motocross racers and his father, Don, who died last year, owned Pomeroy Cycle Shop in Sunnyside and Yakima for many years. Pomeroy, who was born in Sunnyside, gained fame in 1973 when at the age of 20 he became the first person to win his debut world championship event, the Spanish Grand Prix. It was the first American victory at a world Grand Prix event, and Pomeroy took the lead in the overall World Motocross Championships that year. "Up until that point the Europeans dominated the world in the sport of motocross or motorcycling," Grubin said. "Once Jim Pomeroy won that race, he changed the face of motorcycling in the United States forever." Winning many more important races before he retired from professional motocross in 1980, Pomeroy helped the United States come to dominate the motocross scene. After retiring, he remained active in the sport by working with young riders at motocross schools. In 1999, the American Motorcyclist Association celebrated Pomeroy's success by inducting him into the Motorcycle Hall of Fame. "He was my childhood hero," said Grubin, a friend of Pomeroy's since the two met in Yakima in 1989. "I was driving down the road one day with a Bultaco Pursang (motocross bike)," Grubin said. "I had it in the back of my pickup and he ran me down and said, 'Where did you get that bike?'" Although Pomeroy's name is recognizable to any serious motocross fan worldwide, he never had much attention at home in the Yakima Valley, Grubin said. "Jim wasn't the kind of guy who wanted the spotlight," he said. "He made no enemies in the motocross world."

Last edited by Biggus; 08-08-2006 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember him RIP.