Notices

Warranty...Whats in a name?

Old 08-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Re: Warranty...Whats in a name?

Originally Posted by cuda
Just wondering why you still read Oso if you are seriously done with boating.
Gerard has been fooked so bad so many times; he wants to know if he gets out of boating if its just him, or if it happens to everyone.

First one's on me Gerard!

You too Matt!
Old 08-09-2006, 08:34 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Other than wrong parts, why did the motors blow up? Was it detonation, sounds like it...

Unfortunately most of these mechanics don't have money, hence you'll never get repaid. They usually want to redo the work themselves cause the labor doesn't cost them anything and they can get the parts cheap. Moreover, they don't have the proper insurance as a company to cover them for these types of mistakes.

Shade Tree 101..
Old 08-09-2006, 09:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally think that all of the names should be included in the post. If someone really did something wrong then the other oso members need to know who not to go to. Matt if you feel so stronly about this then lay out all of the names that you kept away. They seem to not be your friends so why protect them.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by bgchuby01
I personally think that all of the names should be included in the post. If someone really did something wrong then the other oso members need to know who not to go to. Matt if you feel so stronly about this then lay out all of the names that you kept away. They seem to not be your friends so why protect them.
Defamation of character, you can be held liable even if it's on the internet.

If someone has a need to know I would suggest contacting him directly.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff, Panther is exactly right. I posted this to show that alongside with Eyezlee's comment, even if you have been doing this for a dacade you can still get screwed by proffesionals, freinds and those with a good reputation.
The point to this thread is exactly what the title reads. A Warranty.. Whats in a name? If we get a signed contract stating that the signer shall pay in the event of a failure, who is to say they will ever pay at all. And if a guy is running a shop that has no less than 3 to 4 $150K boats at any given time, and $14K will send him running to bankruptcy, why is he not bonded or insured? Every car mechanic I know in California holds a bond, why not the boat guys? I was going to take my paperwork to California small claims court and settle for half (Only to get this over with faster. Keep in ming I am well into year two of payments, storage, insurance etc and its boating season in sunny socal) only I was informed of him being "Broke" by his mouthpeice. So I was forced to take the attorney route.
The point is be carefull when spending big money on your boat. The contract that you pay a little extra to have may be better written on a kleanex!
Old 08-09-2006, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda
Just wondering why you still read Oso if you are seriously done with boating.

I guess it's a "habit". I still am interested in what's going on in the boating community. I do visit the site less now than I used to. I am not done forever, but disgusted enough for a while to stay away from boating.

Last edited by Semper Fi; 08-09-2006 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Panther
Defamation of character, you can be held liable even if it's on the internet.
Only if it it's not true. If it's true it's not defamation of character.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Gerard has been fooked so bad so many times; he wants to know if he gets out of boating if its just him, or if it happens to everyone.

First one's on me Gerard!

You too Matt!

2X by 2 different mechanics. Really bad experiences. . I am happier to stay away from a boat for awhile. I know someday I might get back into boating, but for now I'm done.

I recently sold some parts on OSO to a friend of Sydwayz and they were in good condition and for a good price--and the deal went off without a hitch and he is a happy customer.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Fanatic
Only if it it's not true. If it's true it's not defamation of character.
I guess once it's settled in court and there is a public file then he can post away on the names. Until then, he's just making his case harder to win.

Quick Reply: Warranty...Whats in a name?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.