update:

repo available.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=650452

Sprewell yacht repossessed
Former NBA star has defaulted on mortgage loan, bank says
By RICK ROMELL
[email protected]
Posted: Aug. 21, 2007
When a man has to think about putting food on the table, it can be difficult to keep a yacht.

Former professional basketball star Latrell Sprewell, who three years ago rejected a $21 million contract offer, calling it insulting and saying he had a family to feed, had his 70-foot, $1.5 million, Italian-built yacht repossessed Tuesday.

Armed with an order from U.S. Magistrate Judge William E. Callahan Jr., a federal marshal seized the vessel in Manitowoc, where it sat in storage.

Callahan is presiding in a court case filed by a New York bank that claims the yacht's owner, a company run by Sprewell, has defaulted on a mortgage loan.

The firm, LSF Marine Holdings, hasn't made monthly payments of $10,322 on time and hasn't maintained the necessary insurance on the vessel, North Fork Bank alleges.

It wants the yacht, "Milwaukee's Best," sold to pay off the $1.3 million it says is remaining on the loan. Sprewell has guaranteed the loan personally, a contract filed with the court shows. He could not be reached for comment on the repossession.

A Milwaukee native, Sprewell, 36, played for 13 years in the NBA. He was known for a slashing style, steely intensity and a fierceness that sometimes got him in trouble - most notably when he was suspended during the 1997-'98 season for choking his coach.

Sprewell last played in 2004-'05 for the Minnesota Timberwolves. At the beginning of that season, he spurned the team's offer of a three-year, $21 million contract extension.

In the midst of Sprewell's acrimonious negotiations with the club, a reporter with the Star Tribune in Minneapolis asked him if he would be interested in playing out the final year on his existing contract, trying to win a title and then becoming a free agent.

"Why would I want to help them win a title?" the paper quoted Sprewell as saying. "They're not doing anything for me. I'm at risk. I have a lot of risk here. I got my family to feed. Anything could happen."

That sealed the end of his career with the Timberwolves, prompted a rebuke from NBA Commissioner David Stern and made Sprewell a symbol of fans' frustration with highly paid athletes divorced from everyday economic realities.

The four-time all-star played out the season, earning a reported $14.6 million, but hasn't returned to the league.

Sprewell's boat was built in 2001 by Italian firm Azimut-Benetti, a world leader in crafting so-called mega-yachts - ships that, at roughly 80 feet and up in length, can dwarf even "Milwaukee's Best." Documents filed in court indicate Sprewell bought the boat in 2003.

Sprewell, who owns a home in River Hills and has moored his yacht here, had to have the vessel freed by a tugboat last summer after running aground near Atwater Beach. He also has popped into the news at other times while afloat, including an occasion off Milwaukee in which he broke a hand about a month before the 2002-'03 season.

Bob Wolfley of the Journal Sentinel staff contributed to this report.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

insurance claim?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Dumba$$ has made 100 million in his short career and can't make a $10,000 a month payment??? With that kind of money, why would you even have a payment???

You can take the boy out of the hood............................

"Why would I want to help them win a title?" the paper quoted Sprewell as saying. "They're not doing anything for me.

They're not doing anything for him??? Other than paying him millions a year!!!

Last edited by WARPARTY36; 08-22-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Magic Medicine
No comment! I think that Pippen used have a 63' Dancer called
"Four Rings" in Chicago. I put gas in that boat once, when I used to work at the gas dock in Michigan City.
At one point Pippen had a 55' Sea Ray Sedan Bridge. He bought it around the same time we bought ours. It had the same name you have listed.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Registered

You've got to give Spree credit on the name though! I'll bet it's one of the only Italian yachts named after "college beer"...

"Oh, that's my Abbatte 'Natty Light'..."
Old 08-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by marylandmark
That was my thought as well!
Maybe he thought that hurricane Dean would hit Milwaukee..
Old 08-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet!
You've got to give Spree credit on the name though! I'll bet it's one of the only Italian yachts named after "college beer"...

"Oh, that's my Abbatte 'Natty Light'..."
LOL - exactly what I was thinking...
Old 08-22-2007, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by five cent worth
LOL - exactly what I was thinking...
I'm long out of college and still drink "College Beer".
I actually prefer the fact that it is a lower aclohol percent.

None the less, the guy's a dumbazz.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
I'm long out of college and still drink "College Beer".

That's why I put it in quotes! I like it because it's cheap and I can drink a lot of it!
Old 08-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet!
That's why I put it in quotes! I like it because it's cheap and I can drink a lot of it!
Exactly! It's actually cheaper than drinking bottled water, and you won't get hammered from it.
I still drink water along side it, but the cheap stuff let's you go all day without getting out of hand.

Quick Reply: Latrell Sprewell runs Aground

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.