Like Tree0Likes

140 ft long and 76 MPH

Reply
Old 08-15-2006, 12:41 PM
  #21
Registered
 
Tantrum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: USR, NJ
My Boats: Stray Cat Statement Marine
Posts: 4,000
Default Re: 140 ft long and 76 MPH

Sick......thats all I can say.
How would you like to vacation around the world in that for a year?
Tantrum is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:16 PM
  #22
Registered
 
Von Bongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Iowa - Missouri
My Boats: 1997 Cig Kevlar - powered by Boyd
Posts: 3,904
Default Re: 140 ft long and 76 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Fount33
I just don't understand why all these Mega's go with water pump drives like jet ski's, the single most inefficient method of propelling a craft through the water.
I don't know but the Gentry Eagle also used jet drives so there must be something about them that works for these boats.
Von Bongo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:23 PM
  #23
Rob
VIP Member
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (6)
 
Strip Poker 388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Madison,Mississippi
My Boats: Hustler 388
Posts: 21,567
Default Re: 140 ft long and 76 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Bongo
I don't know but the Gentry Eagle also used jet drives so there must be something about them that works for these boats.
I bet it has something to do with weight? I wouldn't think a jet drive would be more efficient than a prop???
__________________
.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Strip Poker 388 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:57 PM
  #24
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 96
Default Re: 140 ft long and 76 MPH

Wallypower's 118 is a jet drive as well
jlmtx83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:34 PM
  #25
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
GLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Burlington, VT
My Boats: Azimut
Posts: 15,267
Default Re: 140 ft long and 76 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Bongo
I don't know but the Gentry Eagle also used jet drives so there must be something about them that works for these boats.
From seeing that boat in dry dock in the late 80's I can tell you that it had one ginormous Arneson drive coupled to the equaly insane Turbine.

Also if I recall they used Diesel coupled to jet drives to get on plane then the turbine / arneson was kicked in and pushed the whole deal by itself.

Again just my recollection...


Found the info...

http://www.gentryeagle.com/engine.html

"Total, (2) MTU 16V396TB94 diesels each generating 3480 H.P. are coupled to KaMeWa #63 waterjets. The gear boxes are AFBU7755's. In addition there is a diesel fuel burning Lycoming Marine Turbine #TF40 developing 4500 H.P. coupled to an ARNESON surface drive turning a Rolla REXP 5 bladed cleaver. In addition there is a lube oil transfer system, engine alarm system, and fuel management system. Fuel consumption is approximately 328 gals per hour at 45 knots under the MTU's only, giving a range of approximately 1250 nautical miles."

Last edited by GLH; 08-15-2006 at 03:37 PM.
GLH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:36 PM
  #26
Registered
 
satisfactionII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: GLOC
My Boats: '96 Scarab
Posts: 2,236
Default Re: 140 ft long and 76 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum
Sick......thats all I can say.
How would you like to vacation around the world in that for a year?

Damn Straight. Party time.
satisfactionII is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:28 PM
  #27
Rob
VIP Member
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (6)
 
Strip Poker 388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Madison,Mississippi
My Boats: Hustler 388
Posts: 21,567
Default Re: 140 ft long and 76 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLH
From seeing that boat in dry dock in the late 80's I can tell you that it had one ginormous Arneson drive coupled to the equaly insane Turbine.

Also if I recall they used Diesel coupled to jet drives to get on plane then the turbine / arneson was kicked in and pushed the whole deal by itself.

Again just my recollection...


Found the info...

http://www.gentryeagle.com/engine.html

"Total, (2) MTU 16V396TB94 diesels each generating 3480 H.P. are coupled to KaMeWa #63 waterjets. The gear boxes are AFBU7755's. In addition there is a diesel fuel burning Lycoming Marine Turbine #TF40 developing 4500 H.P. coupled to an ARNESON surface drive turning a Rolla REXP 5 bladed cleaver. In addition there is a lube oil transfer system, engine alarm system, and fuel management system. Fuel consumption is approximately 328 gals per hour at 45 knots under the MTU's only, giving a range of approximately 1250 nautical miles."

There has to be a reason for the jet drive.maybe it the gear boxs or converting the rpm down??
__________________
.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Strip Poker 388 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:48 PM
  #28
Registered
 
Von Bongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Iowa - Missouri
My Boats: 1997 Cig Kevlar - powered by Boyd
Posts: 3,904
Default Re: 140 ft long and 76 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLH
From seeing that boat in dry dock in the late 80's I can tell you that it had one ginormous Arneson drive coupled to the equaly insane Turbine.
Good catch I had forgotten about the drive.
Von Bongo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:00 PM
  #29
Registered
 
Ratickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: West Michigan
My Boats: 43' Black Thunder, 39' Scorpion, 24' Empress, 10' Bonanza
Posts: 833
Default Re: 140 ft long and 76 MPH

69.6 knots top speed officially! But only 112 feet long.



http://www.gentryeagle.com/racing.html
Ratickle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:22 AM
  #30
Charter Member #927
Charter Member
 
Payton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: IN
My Boats: 1991 34' Super Hawaii
Posts: 4,817
Default Re: 140 ft long and 76 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratickle
69.6 knots top speed officially! But only 112 feet long.



http://www.gentryeagle.com/racing.html
Only 114' . I supose I could use it as my yacht tender.

Yea right.
Payton is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
WildWarrior
Hustler
3
11-15-2006 07:10 PM
rockit man
Eliminator
4
12-17-2005 02:44 PM
Strip Poker 388
General Boating Discussion
22
10-05-2005 07:53 PM
packinair
General Boating Discussion
27
12-13-2004 06:49 PM
JB-Cigarette
General Boating Discussion
8
05-27-2003 12:33 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.