Notices

Marine Grade Lumber

Old 10-30-2001, 03:46 PM
olysan

Thanks guys, this has been quite educational.

Old 10-30-2001, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be doing a new engine hatch myself this winter. I WILL spend the money for marine plywood. A) Marine plywood uses waterproof glue unlike outdoor plywood which uses water resistant glue. B) Marine plywood generally has more ply's than pressure treated making it dimensionally more stable. C) Marine plywood is laminated from "premium" veneers so that there are no voids and, once again, premium venners are dimensionally more stable. D) As was mentioned, encapsulation is a good idea, but WILL NOT eliminate moisture from entering the wood and when moisture enters, it may never dry out promoting dry rot. Non encapsulated marine plywood will, based upon my experience, last 5 to 7 years with reasonable care.

So, do yourself a favor, call your nearest specialty (they sell hardwoods typically) lumber yard and get Marine Plywood.

BTW - No barn yard or domesticated animals were harmed in the creation of this response, however, if this response is directly responsible for the cutting of very pretty fir trees, mahogany, teak, or other rain forest inhabitants that result in the creation of wooden boats, go hug a pine tree in someone elses backyard.
Old 10-30-2001, 05:52 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Marine grade plywood is the only way to go. Forget the Thompson's Water Sealer. It is crap. As for the wood, you could get away with half inch and fabricate ribs using the same material. The resin and cloth route will give added strength and weight, which is why I would go with half inch plywood. I have done this job and it worked out well for me. As for the cost, it is not a lot of money. I know people that have paid twice as much building 5 Liter Hydros. Just my $80.00- $79.98.......
Old 10-30-2001, 07:02 PM
FWK

Mike If the big stores do not have the wood you need call Jefferson County Lumber in Imperial and they will be able to help you. Forrest

Old 03-13-2002, 12:49 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Question

Are you any good at fiberglassing? If so, I would suggest using 1" Balsa Core off a quickie mold. That is if the hatch is fairly flat and it won't take much too make a mold for it. I made these off a flat mold I made with pre-finished panels from the HOMER...
Attached Thumbnails Marine Grade Lumber-webhaulin1.jpg  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 03-13-2002, 12:51 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Topside...
Attached Thumbnails Marine Grade Lumber-webhaulin1a.jpg  

Old 03-13-2002, 01:00 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

These hatches were about 10 feet long. So you could only imagine how heavy they would have been if I didn't use Balsa...
Attached Thumbnails Marine Grade Lumber-webhualin1b.jpg  

Old 03-13-2002, 01:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sharkey's right I did the same withair lite foam core for the race boat save the weight if you can!!! It will last longer just because it is lighter!!
Old 03-13-2002, 08:09 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sharkey, nice work!
Old 03-14-2002, 10:03 PM
Blackhawkdn

Default marine grade plywood

The wood product you want to use is called boat panel. It is treated plywood designed for boat building and carries a 40 year guarantee.

Quick Reply: Marine Grade Lumber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.