Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   I need an answer............... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/138264-i-need-answer.html)

Semper Fi 08-18-2006 11:46 AM

I need an answer...............

Board gods/ moderators.....please leave this thread up in the General Boating Discussion forum for at least 1 day so I can get some help....thanks!! :drink:

As many of you know, I am tired of waiting for the remaining $1,000.00 owed to me by GOODT (Joe Heller). I have been extremely patient with him and now he will not email me back or return my calls.

It is time for me to start the proceeding to prosecute him for the bad check ($1,651) he wrote to me and hasn't made good on to this day. Can anyone help me out with how to do this? I am asking because he lives in maryland and I am in California.

Thanks,
Gerard

Sean H 08-18-2006 11:49 AM

Re: I need an answer...............

a deal that went south in the marine industry, tell me it ain't so....

Chris Sunkin 08-18-2006 12:02 PM

I got a bad check from a guy in Mass. I'm in Ohio. I knew the guy and bought the "wife forgot to make the deposit" story for a couple days- until I couldn't get him on the phone anymore. I called the police in the town he lived in. They faxed me a form and I filed the affidavit with them along with a copy of the NSF-stamped check. They went to his home and arrested him that evening. His wife sent the $$ via Western Union that next morning. I guess he had the money after all.

My suggestion would be a phone call to the police in the hometown he lists as his residence on the check. Then that city's prosecutor's office. Bad checks for a grand are felonies in all 50 states. Cops like easy cases. Yours seems to be one..

Semper Fi 08-18-2006 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
I got a bad check from a guy in Mass. I'm in Ohio. I knew the guy and bought the "wife forgot to make the deposit" story for a couple days- until I couldn't get him on the phone anymore. I called the police in the town he lived in. They faxed me a form and I filed the affidavit with them along with a copy of the NSF-stamped check. They went to his home and arrested him that evening. His wife sent the $$ via Western Union that next morning. I guess he had the money after all.

My suggestion would be a phone call to the police in the hometown he lists as his residence on the check. Then that city's prosecutor's office. Bad checks for a grand are felonies in all 50 states. Cops like easy cases. Yours seems to be one..

Chris,
Thank you for the excellent advice!! Thanks board gods/moderator for leaving the post up :drink:

ratman 08-18-2006 12:49 PM

dayum, i thought joe was one of the good guys :(

Semper Fi 08-18-2006 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by ratman
dayum, i thought joe was one of the good guys :(

Not anymore...........NO good business ethics at all.

Wobble 08-18-2006 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
Not anymore...........NO good business ethics at all.

Dont forget my pm re bad checks, it's a method that may work.

Good luck.

Chris Sunkin 08-18-2006 02:03 PM

Chris,
Thank you for the excellent advice!! Thanks board gods/moderator for leaving the post up :drink:

Hope it works- keep us posted. The more we know, the more we can help each other.

Your thread makes this one seem somewhat ironic, considering the thread-starter-
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=136430

On the other hand, who would know best?

Tony Montana 08-18-2006 02:37 PM

GOODT
Platinum Member
Last Activity: Today 07:59 AM

WHAT A F@#KING POS!!!! :mad: :mad: Step up to the plate and pay up!!!!!

articfriends 08-18-2006 03:52 PM

Joe H (aka Good T)-this Is Tarnishing Whatever Reputation You Have Left On This And I'm Sure Other Boards-step Up To The Plate And Pay Gerard-if There Is Another Side To This Story You Need To Post It But It Seems Pretty Cut And Dried-a Little Bad Publicity Goes Aloooong Ways And Will Haunt You For Years,Smitty

jhiguy377 08-18-2006 05:20 PM

yikes, I really respect the advice Joe gives out - I hope this isn't for real.

Semper Fi 08-18-2006 05:27 PM

I can tell you that Joe is NOT a ethical guy. I have had a few transactions with people on this website and they can vouch for my honesty and integrity. can't say the same for GOODT.

I found out some info. My state (California) has no juristiction since the check was from another state. I contacted Maryland police--they said it's a civil matter and I have to go to small claims court. I requested the paperwork and I will actually file and go there to court. He will most likely end up paying for my time, my flight, court fees and the money owed to me. He is really going to lose out bigtime.

Chris Sunkin 08-18-2006 06:22 PM

I can tell you that Joe is NOT a ethical guy. I have had a few transactions with people on this website and they can vouch for my honesty and integrity. can't say the same for GOODT.

I found out some info. My state (California) has no juristiction since the check was from another state. I contacted Maryland police--they said it's a civil matter and I have to go to small claims court. I requested the paperwork and I will actually file and go there to court. He will most likely end up paying for my time, my flight, court fees and the money owed to me. He is really going to lose out bigtime.

Did you speak with the prosecutor's office? Bad checks are criminal offenses - if they're NSF. Stop-pays are a different story- that's usually civil.

Fountain38SC 08-18-2006 06:26 PM

Did you speak with the prosecutor's office? Bad checks are criminal offenses - if they're NSF. Stop-pays are a different story- that's usually civil.

Stop-pay can be criminal. Depending on circumstances. Check with the prosecutor's office in his state.

offshoredrillin 08-18-2006 06:44 PM

you can also call the issuing bank, and ask them if there is enough money in the account to cover the check. they cant release personal info but they can answer yes or no to that question.

Johno 08-18-2006 07:23 PM

Hope it works- keep us posted. The more we know, the more we can help each other.

Your thread makes this one seem somewhat ironic, considering the thread-starter-
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=136430

On the other hand, who would know best?

The above post he made was on the 7/29/06. Amazing in just like 3 weeks his pulls this????WTF?

ratman 08-18-2006 08:46 PM

dont look to good that joe hasn't stepped up to defend himself. yo joe wtf is the dealeo dude?

CAP071 08-18-2006 08:49 PM

I wonder if you can bang him with mail fraud if he sent you the check by mail?

ratman 08-18-2006 08:49 PM

if its true its simply amazing a marine business would ruin thier reputation for paultry 1000 bucks, sheesh! i can see some fly by night shade tree types pulling bull$hit but not a business :(

offshoredrillin 08-19-2006 08:00 AM

i can see some fly by night shade tree types pulling bull$hit but not a business :(

thats what he is...from what I know he has no shop.

Payton 08-19-2006 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by jhiguy377
yikes, I really respect the advice Joe gives out - I hope this isn't for real.

I agree, This needs to be cleared up, fast.

Chris Sunkin 08-19-2006 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by CAP071
I wonder if you can bang him with mail fraud if he sent you the check by mail?

Damn good point. I believe you can.

Call the Postal Inspector's office near you. I've used these guys before- I bought something & the scumbag refused to ship it. i always bay with USPS money orders. They were on him like flies on $hit. I got my stuff AND an apology. Your postmaster can get you the Inspector's number. They're regional- the oner I dealt with was in Pittsburgh- I'm 120 miles away in Ohio.

ratman 08-19-2006 10:26 AM

Damn good point. I believe you can.

Call the Postal Inspector's office near you. I've used these guys before- I bought something & the scumbag refused to ship it. i always bay with USPS money orders. They were on him like flies on $hit. I got my stuff AND an apology. Your postmaster can get you the Inspector's number. They're regional- the oner I dealt with was in Pittsburgh- I'm 120 miles away in Ohio.

wow thats great to know i will be mailing any future payment for purchases in this manner, and use usps money orders

Chris Sunkin 08-19-2006 11:00 AM

wow thats great to know i will be mailing any future payment for purchases in this manner, and use usps money orders

It can be any form of payment- the crime is using the mail. Using their money orders doesn't make it more of a crime but it gives them instant access to the check- they can see the individual took the money. If it's a personal check, there's that sliver of doubt plus you have to wait to get the check in your statement then send it to them. It's almost impossible with a 3rd party MO or a bank check.

CAP071 08-19-2006 12:01 PM

My buddy is an Inspector. I called him but he is on vacation out of town until next week.

99fever27 08-20-2006 12:08 AM

Im some what of a newby........FUYCK THIS GUY!!!! :mad:

Semper I will be up there this Fri. let me know if you want me to say hello.

XPRESS 33PP 08-20-2006 07:28 AM

Semper- In NYS you have to protest the check with the bank the check was drawn on usually a $40.00 charge. Then take the paperwork to the State Police or Sherriffs office in the town were the check was writtten and they will have him arrested. It's a pain in the ask but has always worked for me. Good Luck!
Ken

Psychostroker 08-20-2006 05:29 PM

Mmmm....No answer from Joe yet....This deserves to stay at the top of the post list. Hope you get your $$$$ back Semper Fi! And if not I'm Semper Paratus for you all the way!

dean51267 08-20-2006 06:11 PM

OSO admin - please leave this up so either Joe can defend himself (which I hope there is another side to this), or well, you know what or means........

OldSchool 08-20-2006 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by dean51267
OSO admin - please leave this up so either Joe can defend himself (which I hope there is another side to this), or well, you know what or means........

Trust me on this, as much as he has been in the uncensored section lately..... There is absolutely no way that he hasn't seen this thread or the other ones about what a scumbag that he is. I've known about this "situation" for almost a month and it is factual.

cosmic12 08-20-2006 08:03 PM

waiting :eek: waiting :eek: no answer yet??

dean51267 08-20-2006 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by OldSchool
Trust me on this, as much as he has been in the uncensored section lately..... There is absolutely no way that he hasn't seen this thread or the other ones about what a scumbag that he is. I've known about this "situation" for almost a month and it is factual.

I know, I know, but you always hope there is an out come that can be spun as a positive............... :(

Audiofn 08-20-2006 08:14 PM

Ya like he pays the money back and makes good on all the fees!!! :mad: :mad:

cosmic12 08-20-2006 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by dean51267
I know, I know, but you always hope there is an out come that can be spun as a positive............... :(

can you spin the Randy story? :eek:

dean51267 08-20-2006 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by cosmic12
can you spin the Randy story? :eek:

I doubt it, I really do, someone would have to get REAL creative...... :(

Of course, after the court date it will be a positive for me, but not a positive for the boating industry..... :mad:

Semper Fi 08-21-2006 11:16 AM

Thanks for all the helps guys. I contacted the state Police in Maryland and they won't do anything about it....they say it's a civil matter. I can't believe Joe will not call me back and at least try to work out a payment schedule. He is really going to lose bigtime in the end.

dean51267 08-21-2006 11:29 AM

man, a coulpe grand is not worth a reputation, some things money just can not buy....

cosmic12 08-21-2006 11:37 AM

haven't seen any other posts by him in a while anywhere

Audiofn 08-21-2006 11:50 AM

I wonder if this guys was BRUCE in a former OSO life :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad: :mad:

cigarette38topgun 08-21-2006 12:04 PM

Sorry to hear the news.......it seems so odd that people/business's will run off with a low amount of $1,000...........and will destroy their reputation. You will get this guy on way or other!