Like Tree0Likes

Looking for 38 Top Gun

Reply
Old 08-20-2006, 01:23 PM
  #21
www.sunriseuph.com
Platinum Member
 
lakeluvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO 38 MM
My Boats: 1988 Cigarette Bullet
Posts: 599
Default Re: Looking for 38 Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarette38topgun
Both of lakeluvr's boats look sweet to me......can't go wrong with either.....both have nice updates and a great price tag!

Thanks Cig38TG.

And if you look at what 302Sport said originally, he wanted the fastest 38 Top Gun, so should make mine a no brainer.
lakeluvr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 03:36 PM
  #22
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4
Default Re: Looking for 38 Top Gun

pink flamingo may not be as fast but with no dis respect to the other boat the flamingo is without a doubt the cleanest older gun in the US, I see lots of boats in my business
bgchuby01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:01 PM
  #23
Registered
 
cigarette38topgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chesterfield Missouri
Posts: 426
Default Re: Looking for 38 Top Gun

Lakelvr you should have the boats around the shootout with for sale signs on them! I can't believe no one has picked up either of your boats yet due to your location and price's.......have you tried to sell them up on road/strip area?
cigarette38topgun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:11 PM
  #24
Registered
 
dean51267's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Paducah, KY
My Boats: 93 Profile, 31', twins
Posts: 4,601
Default Re: Looking for 38 Top Gun

I looked at Hugh’s boat, (pink falimingo, http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-7483.html) flew out to CA with a merc tech (yes, paid his way and the whole nine yards)... after looking at a LOT of boats, and talking to a LOT of people, I can only say amazing things about Hugh's boat, and him personally. I looked at probably 10 boats total, a buddy would fly me around, all I had to do was pay fuel, each time they were significantly less than promised, but Hugh’s was EXACTLY as stated, no hidden anything, Hugh was straight, honest about the strength's and areas needing touch up, not once did he in any way over promise or overstate anything. At the same time Jeff Murray was looking at boats for me as he drove all over the country.

Before I arrived I found a surveyor that was fully certified with both the major certification places, and did not know me or the boat, and he spent something like 4 hours going over it with a fine tooth comb, I have his survey, valued with trailer at $98K with trailer. He was amazed at its conditions. As with any survey there were a couple of minor issues, none looked to cost more than a few hundred bucks to make it like new mechanically.

The one area with room for improvement is the interior, it is not all ratty or torn, but it is aged, for a 15 year old boat is aged damn well, but it is aged, again, very serviceable, but it does look five or six years old. I had a local shop who is know for super nice stuff quote a price of $2,500 to $3,000 to replace what is there, and $4,000 to $5,000 for a super slick interior. There are a couple screws with stripped heads in the rub rail, one of the props has a slightly different depth to the hub vents than the other, I mean this guy got a ruler and measured the distance on the supports made on the inside of the props and found there to be like a 1/4 inch difference in them and then he explained this to me in a 10 minute dissertation, that is the level of detail that went into this survey.

I had a whole bunch of schite hit my plate and seriously spun me sideways the day after I returned, and I backed out of buying it. Right now is not time for me to make another boat purchase. However if someone else does not buy that boat, at that price, within the next few months I will. I have also hired a title company to search the title, all prior financial documents on the boat, all that stuff. There are no surprises. The boat is as nice as ANY early 1990's top gun in the country, with exception of the Lip Ship recent boats, again, it is a 91 model, so it is not a brand new boat, but it is not $400K either. Who ever buys this boat is getting something extremly well worth the money. The reason I mentioned the items that the surveyor did was to share the level of detail, and the extremly minor issues that exist.

The only reason I posted this is because Hugh REALLY went out of his way to show me the boat, and put up with that surveyor, so I feel bad about not following through and if I could help he sell it then I would at least feel I paid back the favors. But if you want that one best buy it, cause if you screw around very long it will be sitting in slip 307 at Kentucky Lake and I will have the keys. If I thought I could send Hugh $1,000 and get him to hold it till February I would send him the cash tomorrow morning overnight…..

Last edited by dean51267; 08-20-2006 at 07:44 PM.
dean51267 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:03 PM
  #25
Registered
 
barron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Nokomis, FL.
My Boats: Looking
Posts: 507
Default Re: Looking for 38 Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean51267
I looked at Hugh’s boat, (pink falimingo, http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-7483.html) flew out to CA with a merc tech (yes, paid his way and the whole nine yards)... after looking at a LOT of boats, and talking to a LOT of people, I can only say amazing things about Hugh's boat, and him personally. I looked at probably 10 boats total, a buddy would fly me around, all I had to do was pay fuel, each time they were significantly less than promised, but Hugh’s was EXACTLY as stated, no hidden anything, Hugh was straight, honest about the strength's and areas needing touch up, not once did he in any way over promise or overstate anything. At the same time Jeff Murray was looking at boats for me as he drove all over the country.

Before I arrived I found a surveyor that was fully certified with both the major certification places, and did not know me or the boat, and he spent something like 4 hours going over it with a fine tooth comb, I have his survey, valued with trailer at $98K with trailer. He was amazed at its conditions. As with any survey there were a couple of minor issues, none looked to cost more than a few hundred bucks to make it like new mechanically.

The one area with room for improvement is the interior, it is not all ratty or torn, but it is aged, for a 15 year old boat is aged damn well, but it is aged, again, very serviceable, but it does look five or six years old. I had a local shop who is know for super nice stuff quote a price of $2,500 to $3,000 to replace what is there, and $4,000 to $5,000 for a super slick interior. There are a couple screws with stripped heads in the rub rail, one of the props has a slightly different depth to the hub vents than the other, I mean this guy got a ruler and measured the distance on the supports made on the inside of the props and found there to be like a 1/4 inch difference in them and then he explained this to me in a 10 minute dissertation, that is the level of detail that went into this survey.

I had a whole bunch of schite hit my plate and seriously spun me sideways the day after I returned, and I backed out of buying it. Right now is not time for me to make another boat purchase. However if someone else does not buy that boat, at that price, within the next few months I will. I have also hired a title company to search the title, all prior financial documents on the boat, all that stuff. There are no surprises. The boat is as nice as ANY early 1990's top gun in the country, with exception of the Lip Ship recent boats, again, it is a 91 model, so it is not a brand new boat, but it is not $400K either. Who ever buys this boat is getting something extremly well worth the money. The reason I mentioned the items that the surveyor did was to share the level of detail, and the extremly minor issues that exist.

The only reason I posted this is because Hugh REALLY went out of his way to show me the boat, and put up with that surveyor, so I feel bad about not following through and if I could help he sell it then I would at least feel I paid back the favors. But if you want that one best buy it, cause if you screw around very long it will be sitting in slip 307 at Kentucky Lake and I will have the keys. If I thought I could send Hugh $1,000 and get him to hold it till February I would send him the cash tomorrow morning overnight…..
Send cash it still may be for sale in feb.
barron is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:07 PM
  #26
Registered
 
barron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Nokomis, FL.
My Boats: Looking
Posts: 507
Default Re: Looking for 38 Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgchuby01
pink flamingo may not be as fast but with no dis respect to the other boat the flamingo is without a doubt the cleanest older gun in the US, I see lots of boats in my business
Have you seen Lakeluver's boat?
barron is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:44 PM
  #27
Registered
 
dean51267's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Paducah, KY
My Boats: 93 Profile, 31', twins
Posts: 4,601
Default Re: Looking for 38 Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by barron
Have you seen Lakeluver's boat?
lakeluver's boat is nice, but he is 20% over NADA and no survey, makes them hard to get excited about..... but I absoutly love the flag graphics on the bullet....
dean51267 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:10 PM
  #28
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member
 
Griff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Omaha
My Boats: .......32............. ...............Active Thunder....
Posts: 15,752
Default Re: Looking for 38 Top Gun

NADA is not a very good price indicator to start with and its useless to determine real value when you start talking about 15-20 year old boats.
Griff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:23 PM
  #29
Registered
 
dean51267's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Paducah, KY
My Boats: 93 Profile, 31', twins
Posts: 4,601
Default Re: Looking for 38 Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
NADA is not a very good price indicator to start with and its useless to determine real value when you start talking about 15-20 year old boats.
agreed, but it is all there is for most of us, if someone gets outside that number, and many, many boats are, it becomes the sellers responsibility to justify WHY it is outside that number, with a third party verification source.

I can say my stuff is all worth a bizillion bucks, but until an expert who has no stake in the deal says so, what I say is meaningless.

A while back I looked at the bullet, tried to work out a deal, but could get nothing to justify the price other than sellers desire. Apparently I was right, it has not sold in near six months.

bottom line, there are enough buyers searching here, boat trader, and e-bay, that after a couple months if it has not sold, it is over priced. I do not necessarily like that fact, but I am going to have to be in the sellers seat before long, and I will hate that fact with a passion, but it is how free economies work.

that concept is not particular to the boat in question, but to everything for sale anywhere.
dean51267 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:32 PM
  #30
Registered
 
POOL WHORE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Huntington Beach. CA
My Boats: On The Hunt...
Posts: 280
Default Re: Looking for 38 Top Gun

Hey Dean, thanks alot for the KIND words! I wish that you could have taken her home and enjoyed her as much as I have. We were blasting through the Pacific today, when you were trying to call me. The boat is running fantastic!

Lakeluver, you have a very nice boat that has been madeover and upgraded to current specs. Unfortunately, we are trying to sell 15-20 year old boats in a declining market. No matter how well-maintained the boat is, seems like the new buyer market overlooks the vintage stock for the late model, efficient bling. Easier to finance and insure. Good luck!

Hugh
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for 38 Top Gun-kate-lori-night-out-019.jpg  
POOL WHORE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
inpersuit38
General Boating Discussion
79
11-23-2008 09:36 PM
Lucky Strike Jr
Cigarette
35
02-06-2008 08:47 PM
Schweeng
Cigarette
9
08-03-2006 11:10 PM
blume
Cigarette
18
07-05-2006 08:02 PM
lakeluvr
General Boating Discussion
11
02-16-2006 09:37 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.