Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The boater that hit the greenport jetty... >

The boater that hit the greenport jetty...

Notices

The boater that hit the greenport jetty...

Old 08-21-2006, 08:53 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The boater that hit the greenport jetty...

Originally Posted by CigDaze
I'm glad to hear that everyone that was onboard is okay, and well on their way to recovery. That's #1.

It's also releiving to hear that the driver was not drinking.....sadly, it doesn't make one bit of difference to the damn media. They like to paint everyone with a broad brush, and especially go-fast boaters.....Let's face it, We're brash, loud and fast and draw attention wherever we go, and often times conjure up envy and longing, so the pre-disposition to judge will always be there in the media. Azzholes.

In any event, hitting a 1500' jetty despite "[having been to] Claudio's numerous times and [being] familiar with the area," is inexcusable. I'm sorry to say that but it is. Boating at night is a serious matter and it can be very difficult. I've studied human factors as it relates to aircraft, and I'm sure boating has many paralells......the human mind is not well equipped to handle situations such as night boating with limited, and often misleading, sensory inputs. I'm sure we've all experienced the confusion that can occurr with only a slight change in your surroundings that you may[or may not] not expect to see at night - it could be changing city lights, a stationary boat, an unlit buoy, etc......In light of this, the Bottom line is that if one is in doubt or not 110% sure of your position and course - STOP! - and regain your bearings. If everyone knew about the jetty, yet no one saw it, that's an damn good time to stop and figure it out. Otherwise, well we know what will happen...

Sorry for the preaching, but I think night boating is something we all should take more seriously. I try to avoid it all costs, especially with a boat that doesn't do so well going slowly.
Exactly,

You have to assume that whatever light (on the jetty or channel marker or other boat) is out there might not be working and drive accordingly.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
Exactly,

You have to assume that whatever light (on the jetty or channel marker or other boat) is out there might not be working and drive accordingly.

Agreed !!

But the light that already has been stated being week or not bright enough was working correctly to mark the channel. The Fountain was on the wrong side of the Marker. The color of the Light is Red. Following simple Red Right Return policy they should have been on the South Side of the Light............?
Old 08-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I got caught out late with some friends a few weeks back. I was the Designated Driver and I drove back at a speed that I was comfortable at. When we got to our river it was PITCH black. I could not see a damn thing. I just bumped in and out of gear tell I got through the entrance of the river and all was fine. If I had hit anything it would have been no big deal. How fast was your friend driving when he hit that wall?

Jon

Last edited by Audiofn; 08-21-2006 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:14 PM
Registered

Glad to hear everyone is ok! Any pic's of the jetty or the wreck?
Old 08-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Glad everyone is OK
Old 08-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Registered

How fast were you going? That should say something about experiance right there.......
Old 08-21-2006, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

THE BUBBLE HEADED BLEACH BLONDE COMES ON AT 5...........SHE HAS DIRTY LAUNDRY.......thats the news game......
Old 08-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the driver or owner went out to dinner with his buddys then hit the jetty and wrecked the boat and injured his friends on purpose...SARCASM!!!! Give the man a break , it ain't easy seeing at night...... I hope the crew are OK, good luck fellas.... E
Old 08-22-2006, 07:46 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

expensive reminder to always plan your route...no matter how many times you have been there.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:57 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TSPM
A retraction and a new story in print as well as going after the Southold Police Dept for providing false information to the press as well.
Just think.

What happens if an everyday citizen files a false report to the police?

Glad all is ok.

Boats can be repaired or replaced. Lives cannot be replaced....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Quick Reply: The boater that hit the greenport jetty...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.