Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   step hull (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/138936-step-hull.html)

franklins 08-27-2006 08:40 AM

step hull

Can some one tell me what the step hull does and how it works.
Thanks
Dean

RJ1340 08-27-2006 08:44 AM

Re: step hull

Step hulls are so last year. The new ones have escalators.

bouyhunter 08-27-2006 09:11 AM

Welcome to OSO.

In a nutshell, steps (when properly designed, and on the correct hull)
are there to "aerate" the hull.
More air under the hull = less hull in the water = less friction = higher speed.
Also creates much different handling characteristics in turns than a traditional V hull.

And as far as escalators - Reggie has been using them for years.
Rumor has it they are now testing with elevator hulls :D

dhlaw 08-27-2006 09:34 AM

On hot days a step hull will keep you cool by tossing you in the water without warning!! A refreshing dip on a hot summer day!!!

bouyhunter 08-27-2006 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by dhlaw
On hot days a step hull will keep you cool by tossing you in the water without warning!! A refreshing dip on a hot summer day!!!

Unfortunately, the thermostat doesn't work very well, and it will do the same on a cold day.

ducktail 08-27-2006 09:57 AM

Oh, poor newbie!! :rolleyes:

Try a thread search or start with this thread:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...=tom+step+hull :cool:

There are many threads more, you will have enough to read for fall AND winter.

franklins 08-27-2006 10:38 AM

Thanks for the info. So the step hull is very unsable and would be hard to drive? What is it like in the great lakes waters? I am figering out if I would like to build a step hull for the water I run in. I am going to build my new boat 23 ft with a 24 degree v. I need to get all the speed I can but still run on 6 foot waves. I have a web site that has the last two boats I have built that you can see. I am just looking for advise from you guys that have past history on race boats. If you talk to a regular boat dealer and ask them question it seems to go way over there head or thay just don't even no what your talking about.
Here is our web site and just go into boat building .
www.geocities.com/haulinbass66/
I appreciate any help you guys can give me
Thank a bunch
Dean

Shanghied Again 08-27-2006 10:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok Here is the ultimate in escalator designs :D

Shore Thing 08-27-2006 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by franklins
Thanks for the info. So the step hull is very unsable and would be hard to drive? What is it like in the great lakes waters? I am figering out if I would like to build a step hull for the water I run in. I am going to build my new boat 23 ft with a 24 degree v. I need to get all the speed I can but still run on 6 foot waves. I have a web site that has the last two boats I have built that you can see. I am just looking for advise from you guys that have past history on race boats. If you talk to a regular boat dealer and ask them question it seems to go way over there head or thay just don't even no what your talking about.
Thank a bunch
Dean

There is no 23' boat in the world that will handle true 6' seas very well. There is no substitute for length when it comes to rough water. A standard 24 degree straight V will give you the best rough water ride though. Forget steps and pads and all that other stuff if you want to "attempt" to run in the rough with a 23 footer. Good luck with it. I would look at the 24 superboat and 24 pantera as boats to model my efforts after.

Comanche3Six 08-27-2006 01:06 PM

Welcome to OSO

Here are a couple of dippers now

cosmic12 08-27-2006 01:51 PM

L.M.A.O. :D :D

GLH 08-27-2006 01:52 PM

Priceless...

birdog 08-27-2006 02:01 PM

Some of your best work ! :D

RHC 08-27-2006 02:08 PM

A Consular and a Profet all dressed up in one Robe!! :D

RHC

dhlaw 08-27-2006 04:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ooooohh, so refreshing!!!!!

franklins 08-27-2006 04:23 PM

Thanks century 29. I have been reading the other site that duck tail gave on his post and it sounds like up to 30 ft it realy dosn't help any thing any way. You are right about pads and such because I see it on the other top named bass boats. When we hit open water seas they are finished. There boats run usaly in the low 70s but they us the pads to do so. I am tring to get the most I can both way's wich is hard to do.
You can not believe how happy I am to talk to you guys about this. You guys realy understand what I am talking about and I have not ever talked to people that does. Most boat stores sell manufactered boats and have not a clue about the hull. I work at the Tronto boat show and there is a few off shore boats there with people all around them and if I try to ask them any thing they just push me off. When I say I build my own boats there like right.
Any way I have been looking at the 24 ft super boat in the past and it is nice.
Thanks again
Dean

cosmic12 08-27-2006 04:56 PM

Take a look at a 25 ft Active Thunder. they can't be beat!!!!!

SB 08-27-2006 06:45 PM

Thank a bunch
Dean

Doesn't work. I just got this:

Sorry, this GeoCities site is currently unavailable.
The GeoCities web site you were trying to view has temporarily exceeded its data transfer limit. Please try again later.

Are you the site owner? Avoid service interruptions in the future by increasing your data transfer limit! Find out how.

cosmic12 08-27-2006 09:33 PM

where did he go? think his feelers got hurt? :(

CAP071 08-27-2006 10:04 PM

OTIS builds escalators
http://www.otis.com/products/listing..._PRT30,00.html

RJ1340 08-28-2006 04:07 PM

You take turns in a step the same way you do in a car: throttle down a bit before the you turn, then put the pedal to the metal and crank that wheel. And keep your water wings crossed.

glassdave 08-28-2006 04:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by century29
. . . There is no 23' boat in the world that will handle true 6' seas very well. . . . .

uhhh . . . there most certainly is. :cool: :D

i've ran better than 6's on many occasions. we did a poker run here in lake Erie and we were the third boat out of 60 to the toledo light from the Detroit light. lake was kickin 5 to 7's that day. :cool:

welcome aboard Franklins enjoy the site and you have hit the mother load of info :drink:

bouyhunter 08-28-2006 05:37 PM

Dave - where you running that boat in you're second pic??
That's some SERIOUS air!!! :evilb:
Great Pic too - hmmmm... new computer wallpaper for the work machine. :D

TUFFboat 08-28-2006 05:57 PM

I work at the Tronto boat show and there is a few off shore boats there with people all around them and if I try to ask them any thing they just push me off. When I say I build my own boats there like right.
Wow, you talk to the guy for over an hour and draw scetches of boat bottoms and everthing, and he forgets about you just like that. :(

Comanche3Six 08-28-2006 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave
uhhh . . . there most certainly is. :cool: :D

i've ran better than 6's on many occasions. we did a poker run here in lake Erie and we were the third boat out of 60 to the toledo light from the Detroit light. lake was kickin 5 to 7's that day. :cool:

welcome aboard Franklins enjoy the site and you have hit the mother load of info :drink:

Those are 1 to 2's

Ironmanwb 08-28-2006 07:35 PM

Did anyone else get the site to work? I got it to work once and holy CHIT! This guy builds the boat from scratch and does a nice job but, he never glasses the inside of the hull :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: , .

He does the outside, flips the hull and starts spraying foam insulation into the the hull, Can you say ROT..............

I mean no disrespect but dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmn I hope whoever bought those lives far away. :(

franklins 08-28-2006 07:45 PM

Cosmic12
The 25 Active thunder looks great! I had time to look around at some of them and they are a straight v hull. The only thing I could not find is the degree of angle on the hull. It looks like it would ride great on chopy water.
Have you been in one?
Dean

franklins 08-28-2006 07:58 PM

Ironmanwb
The hull has epoxy spayed in to it and it will last a long time. The way the hull is built is a little different than a glass boat. Putting glass in the inside would only add dead weight . I only use the glass to get a nice finish on the outside for painting. I don't use glass for any other reason. Just a nother way of building a boat.
Dean

franklins 08-28-2006 08:13 PM

Tuffboat
I never for got you and I was not talking about you at Toronto. You are the only one that has talked to me about it that made sense. I was talking about the big boats at the other end of the building.
I thought you told me you were not on line when I asked you!( Any way glad you are) Do you have email now?
Dean

ActiveThunder 08-28-2006 08:16 PM

Dean,

Where are you building these boats, again?

franklins 08-28-2006 08:25 PM

I am just building them in my garage.

ActiveThunder 08-28-2006 08:37 PM

where's your garage, again?

franklins 08-28-2006 08:59 PM

I live in Ontario

TUFFboat 08-28-2006 09:47 PM

Hi Dean,

I know who you meant, I was just being a :evilb:

I believe most people arent prepared for guys like you. Its good to see people working outside the box, (and in the garage) :D Keep it up.

Mark

We will see you at the show again this year.
E-mail is on the web site ' contact'

ducktail 08-29-2006 03:35 AM

The geocitysite works well during american deep night hours, so the problem is rather the overstressed server.
The kind of boatbuilding (well shown on his site by lot of pictures) reminds me of my grandfather who built all alone a couple of smaller boats (he was mainly working as a carpenter at shipyards, no boatbuilder in general).
Quite a special task force there in your garage!! Nice.

Poo 08-29-2006 06:38 AM

Can some one tell me what the step hull does and how it works.
Thanks
Dean

In order to truly understand the dynamics of stepped hull's ,one must first ask member " HYDROCRUISER " the proper visocity of Step oil .The do's and donts of oil purchasing if you will . (archives under lpa 2106 may prove helpfull as well . ) Good Luck !

P.S > Its raining like He## down here ! Whats goin' on ?

SB 08-29-2006 10:00 AM

This was measured at 8ft' :eek: LOL :D :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7nS_aR8XX...related&search

franklins 08-29-2006 09:44 PM

Hey Mark how did the 28 ft boat work that you had at the show with the two motors hanging on it. It sure looked like some boat to me. What kind of speed did you get out of it?
Dean

cosmic12 08-29-2006 09:55 PM

Cosmic12
The 25 Active thunder looks great! I had time to look around at some of them and they are a straight v hull. The only thing I could not find is the degree of angle on the hull. It looks like it would ride great on chopy water.
Have you been in one?
Dean

yes and I have a 28. don't need no stinking stepin this one :eek: Really the 25 is a great boat and are hard to come by these days people don't want to part with'em

Revd Up 08-29-2006 10:27 PM

You guys are killing me :D