Bahamas was Awesome, I am Back to FL'

Notices

Bahamas was Awesome, I am Back to FL'

Old 01-22-2002, 05:42 PM
B38
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Yeap, sea tow was another towing Co.
I seen alot of those dudes in Fort L'. to many in fact. I never seen so many tow boats in my life. Yes the $95.00 would be a good idea for the Cruise over. I just was bull headed to pay the 95.00. This fee is good for 1 year.
You should see the Water over there in Bimini. It looked fake, to clear for salt water. but is was true. You can see the bottom all over the place. Decieving at times. They all told me, brown, you run aground, blue=clear sailing. These sholes
change depth like every foot forward.
Must enter Bimini from Southwest end, starting from the southwest side of South Bimini, then cruise north into bay entrance to east side of North Bimini. South Bimini is kinda dead, but growing. They drive on the wrong side of the road, which there are only 2 roads to drive on. N Bimini is only 7 miles long, and 700 feet wide. The west side of Bimini is the best view, best beaches, awesome scuba and snorkeling. While Snorkeling I found a 300 Gl gas tank from a boat. Weird, where was the Boat. A few sunken ships you can check out around 3 miles from south Bimini. these are really cool to check out. Also many Islands to run around naked with sqeeze. Just bring lots of water,towels,cloths,Candles, flash light.
spare batteries, all that good stuff.
Need more info, please ask. Mr. Bravo III
Old 01-24-2002, 11:03 PM
B38
Registered

O/k I am back home. Wisconsin sucks. To damn cold. Bah hum bug!!.
Old 01-25-2002, 02:17 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kurt,

Thank you for sharing your adventure. That "Stuff" on your props and drive shower will come off easy. Just use Lime Away or Sno Bowl, avail form your local supermarket. Apply with a soft bristle brush, and hose off. It works within seconds. Use rubber gloves. Whatever shine the metal had before the encrustation, will return.

Take care Kurt,

Steve
Old 01-25-2002, 07:20 AM
B38
Registered

Thanks steve. I will try that today before I store my boat. thanks again, Mr. bravo III
Old 01-25-2002, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs up

Wow, sounds like one hell of a trip! Thanks for sharing the experience with everyone. I would love to do that same trip sometime.
Glad all went well, Kurt.
Old 01-25-2002, 08:04 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kurt, all I can say is , wow!

Glad you are back and thanks for sharing the story.
Old 01-27-2002, 03:20 AM
OutlawBayB

wb Kurt! Got a ? 4 ya....u mentioned that your props basically got stripped to hell? How long were u there? We are VERY METICULOUS w/ our boats/cars. The last time we were in Florida (or any type saltwater) we washed the boat/trailer......on the way home. We try to stay only in freshwater.

Now with a new boat/new props we're (my hubby)is concerned w/the damage a trip to Bimini might cause. But, I still want to go this summer. Please give me some info on how bad the damage was...corrosion....etc..

Old 01-27-2002, 07:41 AM
B38
Registered

OutlawBayB, seems as if the props are sand blasted to a satin Aluminum finish. I was in the salt water for about 10 days, which 5 of them where heavy cruising. I logged about 155 Nautical miles with my Boat in the last 5 days. I belive the friction and salt in the Water sanded my props down to this weird finish. My drive shower though got this encrusted stuff all over it. this, I could actually scrape off, or wash off with Lime away. But my props never came back to life.
I will have them labbed finish again to restore to my satifaction.
I belive this is from the 155 Miles of friction of the salt water. This Trip to Bimini was worth it though. All other painted surfaces of the drive handled it well. I just washed my drive with dove soap and restored origanal look = Merc Black. My aluminum trim tabs was the best of all, don't ask me why. but they where untouched by the salt water.
Weird I thought. Maybe Electrolosis had some factor in this with my props. Oh yeah, my anodes on drive got severly punished also.
corroded badly!!!.But that is what they are there for right. at first My boat sat in the water for about 5 days and when I pulled it out, my props where still perfect. it was the miles and trip to Bimini and back which fried my props. never seen stainless look like this, kinda ugly. Hope this helps. Mr. Bravo III