Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Pro's and CON's of NEW model outboards compared to inboards. >

Pro's and CON's of NEW model outboards compared to inboards.

Notices

Pro's and CON's of NEW model outboards compared to inboards.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Pro's and CON's of NEW model outboards compared to inboards.

I've Had My Yam 250 Efi For 6 Years. Never Let Me Down Once.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just put my first Merc 300xs Optimax on a new 21ft Liberator cat. It only had 1 hour on it when I gave it to the customer and it still ran 99.5 mph. He told me the other day that he ran 190 miles on 33 gallons of gas. I'm rigging a new 30ft Liberator with twin 300xs motors now. I think it will get 3 mpg. Not bad for a 100 mph boat.
Attached Thumbnails Pro's and CON's of NEW model outboards compared to inboards.-yellow-21-100.jpg   Pro's and CON's of NEW model outboards compared to inboards.-30ft-performance-interiors.jpg   Pro's and CON's of NEW model outboards compared to inboards.-yellow-21-left-rear.jpg  

Last edited by WILDMAN; 09-12-2006 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOWOUTBOARD
I've Had My Yam 250 Efi For 6 Years. Never Let Me Down Once.

Yamaha...dont they make stereos?? Jack it up, trim it out.....6,000 r's.....now we can break it!!
Old 09-12-2006, 11:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=dkwestern]
Originally Posted by X-Rated30
1. Cost of repairs compared to inboards.
-- Labor is cheaper and easier to find. Can change a powerhead with help from a friend in 3 or 4 hours. Try that with a big block.

I've seen powerheads changed in 20 minutes in the pits at Formula 1 races I have changed with little experience in 1-2 hours!!
LOL!!! Dude -- I am so far from being an F-1 mechanic, I am flattered you even mention it. I can pick up a screwdriver and begin to bleed immediately!!!
Old 09-13-2006, 05:27 AM
Registered

I have had both, the maint on the ob is almost non existent if you keep the water out of your fuel.

No tuneups etc, just change your water pump and gear oil yearly.

I think merc will be coming out with a 300+ HP verado next year, also the verado has power steering.

CM
Old 09-13-2006, 09:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by X-Rated30
LOL!!! Dude -- I am so far from being an F-1 mechanic, I am flattered you even mention it. I can pick up a screwdriver and begin to bleed immediately!!!
Neither am I (I've changed powerheads twice lifetime), I'm just saying they can be changed in an hour or 2 and your back on the water.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iamfaster
Yamaha...dont they make stereos?? Jack it up, trim it out.....6,000 r's.....now we can break it!!
WHAT DID YOUR LITTLE MISHAP COST IN THE BIG OL PIG? NOTE TO SELF---NO OIL PRESSURE ALARM-----STOP

Last edited by SLOWOUTBOARD; 09-13-2006 at 01:30 PM. Reason: RE
Old 09-13-2006, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I had both. The only thing I didn't like about outboards was if you are a gear-head always wanting to tweak and modify there isn't much you can do to the outboard and there isn't much in the way of aftermarket parts. With a sterndrive the sky's the limit! and you can always look forward to increasing HP with various modifications...

There IS one modification for outboards that I found and fell in love with on my Talon, and that was NITROUS OXIDE!!
Attached Thumbnails Pro's and CON's of NEW model outboards compared to inboards.-rear1.jpg   Pro's and CON's of NEW model outboards compared to inboards.-front3.jpg   Pro's and CON's of NEW model outboards compared to inboards.-talon1.jpg  

Old 09-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

I had a pair of Evinrude outboards on a C.C. for 12 years and they were great. The only issue was the lack of parts and mechanics to work on them if you couldn't do your own work. It seemed all the outboard mechanics only wanted to work on the smaller horsepower engines.

Are parts more available these daays ?

Also for the two-strokes don't foget oil costs.

I'd love to go back to a pair of beaters on a C.C.

ed
Old 09-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by yahoo

I think merc will be coming out with a 300+ HP verado next year, also the verado has power steering.

CM
Hope they get the 300HP out sooner over latter cause I want another 22 Whaler and with twin 150's had decent performance and thinking lighter with one engine same HP will equal better speed!!!!! But the not so good thing on the horizon catalytic converters and OB's are a hard combo to put together:

http://www.epa.gov/oms/regs/nonroad/.../420f06057.htm
In 2001, the California Air Resources Board adopted emission standards for new sterndrive and inboard marine engines that are expected to require use of catalytic converters, beginning in 2007.

Quick Reply: Pro's and CON's of NEW model outboards compared to inboards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.