Notices

Paint or powder coat

Old 09-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Paint or powder coat

Originally Posted by cig1988
I'd prefer painting over powder coating. Much easier and less expensive to refinish. Especially if your running salt water eventually the powder coating will fail. As with powder coating you'll need to media blast for prep. Epoxy primer & top coated in Imron.

if prepped right powder coat will not fail
Old 09-15-2006, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SOX
Not aluminum but thanks anyway. Did you buy Ike's boat yet?
it s on i10 should be here in 3/4 hours
Old 09-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLINGSHOT
if prepped right powder coat will not fail
All it takes is a scratch or nick & corrodes from the inside out.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are several types of powder coating - UV cured and thermally cured. The difference is the catalyst used in the material.
As a very general statement, the "grippability" (actually induced friction) of the pulley to belt can probably be characterized best by referring to the P hardness factor - ASTM03363 or such - its been a while so dont hold me to that. The normal hardness factor would be about 2-4 for something such as a chrome plating. The numbers for powder and paint are very similar and a magnitude of 2 or 3 diff from chrome (which I would expect would be one of the less desireable choices).
I know the UV tends to have higher friction numbers than the thermally cured but still in the same ballparkof each other as well as paint.

Obviously, the condition of your pulleys come into play - powder usually fills more voids than paint but I doubt you could tell much difference between paint and powder given a good initial surface.
Why not try one pulley each way and see the results. Also would allow you to test for corrossion to salt as mentioned above or any other anomolies.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cig1988
All it takes is a scratch or nick & corrodes from the inside out.

thats why you use a primer.......last time i checked if you nick paint it rusts too?
Old 09-15-2006, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLINGSHOT
thats why you use a primer.......last time i checked if you nick paint it rusts too?

USE ZINC PRIMER AND YOU WILL BE FINE
Old 09-15-2006, 05:03 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Rob, I believe that most of the colored billet aluminum pulleys are powdercoated rather than anodized. I don't see any risk to it. If they do slip, RAddiction can strip it right off. Let me know if you want me to do them over the winter, and what color you want.

Thanks to everyone for the help. Chuck I forgot you have the powdercoat shop in the garage. I think it would be great if you could do that for me. At the end of the season I'll get everything up to you and maybe later we could sit around and get $hitty on Dianne's wine!!!
Old 09-15-2006, 05:09 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tee4texas
There are several types of powder coating - UV cured and thermally cured. The difference is the catalyst used in the material.
As a very general statement, the "grippability" (actually induced friction) of the pulley to belt can probably be characterized best by referring to the P hardness factor - ASTM03363 or such - its been a while so dont hold me to that. The normal hardness factor would be about 2-4 for something such as a chrome plating. The numbers for powder and paint are very similar and a magnitude of 2 or 3 diff from chrome (which I would expect would be one of the less desireable choices).
I know the UV tends to have higher friction numbers than the thermally cured but still in the same ballparkof each other as well as paint.
So in a nut shell you are saying not much defference in grippage between paint and powder?
Old 09-15-2006, 05:10 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ratman
if they are alum, have them anodized

agreed...
Old 09-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Many years ago I did salt spray corrosion testing with steel in a controlled laboratory situation. The power coating did not hold up as well as paint, and I recall it was due to the porosity of the power coating being greater than paint. Perhaps powder coating procedures have changed, and this is no longer true (but worth checking into).

Michael

Quick Reply: Paint or powder coat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.