Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Picked up a bag yesterday... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/140675-picked-up-bag-yesterday.html)

offshoredrillin 09-17-2006 06:09 AM

Picked up a bag yesterday...

In all the time I have been boating, even before I got back into it as kid running our boats around the rivers I have never had a bag get stuck to an out drive, always heard people talk about it...Wow, it was like the boat hit a wall it shut it down so fast, once I got it in reverse and the temp came right back down everything was cool...literally

t500hps 09-17-2006 07:38 AM

Re: Picked up a bag yesterday...

I did that last year, the bag covered the intakes on the drive.....stopped, backed up, everything was fine!!! I was about to chit because we were 100 miles from the ramp.

OldSchool 09-17-2006 07:41 AM

He said BAG!!!!!!! :eek:

:D :evilb: :drink: :evilb:

el indio 09-17-2006 07:54 AM

He picked up his bag went looking for place to hide when he saw Carmen and the devil walking side by side.he said hey Carmen come on lets go downtown. She said I gotta go but my friend can stick around.Take a load off Fanny, take a load for free..........

Pantera1 09-17-2006 07:58 AM

So ..what was in the bag ?

el indio 09-17-2006 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Pantera1
So ..what was in the bag ?

Bull$hit!!!!!!!!! just like the rest of the story...........

offshoredrillin 09-17-2006 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by el indio
He picked up his bag went looking for place to hide when he saw Carmen and the devil walking side by side.he said hey Carmen come on lets go downtown. She said I gotta go but my friend can stick around.Take a load off Fanny, take a load for free..........

didnt "the band" sing that?

OldSchool 09-17-2006 08:11 AM

:D :D :drink: :drink:

Racegirl3 09-17-2006 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin

Yup... and Travis Tritt did a great cover of it :cool:

el indio 09-17-2006 08:14 AM

Bob Dylan and the band.............The Weight!!!!!!!!!!!!

offshoredrillin 09-17-2006 08:17 AM

I have no clue what you people are referring too:rolleyes: I was talking about a garbage bag floating in the bay...:evilb:

Titan 09-17-2006 08:33 AM

Baggggggggggggggg......... :D
Glad to hear you did not smoke anything Rob...
"The Weight" is one of my favorite songs....

el indio 09-17-2006 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Titan
Baggggggggggggggg......... :D
Glad to hear you did not smoke anything Rob...
"The Weight" is one of my favorite songs....

well then. Take a load off Fanny take a load for free.

Wobble 09-17-2006 09:20 AM

I picked up some heavy duty vinyl in my jet boat grate, cruising along at 4500rpm at instantly it's on the rev limiter at 6500wtf :eek:

It was like the jet pump disappeared, when I figured it out, I had to jump in 40' of cold February water to cut it out of the grate.

Dam near was suffering from exposure by the time I made it back to the ramp

Too Old 09-17-2006 09:30 AM

I have no clue what you people are referring too:rolleyes: I was talking about a garbage bag floating in the bay...:evilb:

What was her name? :D

cosmic12 09-17-2006 09:35 AM

who was Carmen and what did he do???? :rolleyes:

cuda 09-17-2006 09:37 AM

Once I was trolling in my fishboat. All of a sudden, the boat wouldn't go anywhere. I tilted up the outboard, and there was a five gallon bucket around the leg of the motor. What are the odds of that????

cuda 09-17-2006 09:39 AM

Speaking of bags, when at the grocery if they ask paper or plastic, I tell them better make it paper. Plastic would probably smother the b1tch. :drink:

el indio 09-17-2006 09:40 AM

[QUOTE=cosmic12]who was Carmen and what did he do???? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE

had to go........

itilldo 09-17-2006 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by cuda
Speaking of bags, when at the grocery if they ask paper or plastic, I tell them better make it paper. Plastic would probably smother the b1tch. :drink:

Great...I just spit soda all over my monitor after reading that. :D :D

buck183 09-17-2006 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by cuda

You just made my day Cuda

Byrdman 09-17-2006 03:30 PM

Picking up a bag....thats what they say in long island when you pop a motor and do not want to blame yourself mis judgement of fuel and boost :eek:

ratman 09-17-2006 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Byrdman
Picking up a bag....thats what they say in long island when you pop a motor and do not want to blame yourself mis judgement of fuel and boost :eek:

he's n/a and didn't hurt anything

k24u 09-17-2006 03:39 PM

Several years ago first time out with a new engine a white plastic bag got wrapped around the lower unit and the motor overheated and spun bearings etc. Wife was yelling at me saying that I don't know how to build a engine unit we lifted the drive and there it was. Turned it in to insurance and built a bigger engine.

JCPERF 09-17-2006 06:33 PM

:rolleyes:

el indio 09-17-2006 06:36 PM

But was it a square bag............that is the real question..........

offshoredrillin 09-17-2006 07:53 PM

But was it a square bag............that is the real question..........

see mark plays like he don't know whats goin on, lol..I called you today too.

el indio 09-17-2006 08:04 PM

"In the dumps with the bumps and the adolecent mumps"........the boss

boatme 09-18-2006 05:42 AM

Rob

do you have water pressure gauges ???

Most of the time It tells you you have a problem long before the temp goes to 250

every boat i have owned had them or i put em in

first defence against overheating

AIR TIME 09-18-2006 06:06 AM

Was that a GLAD BAG :rolleyes: :D

offshoredrillin 09-18-2006 06:07 AM

"In the dumps with the bumps and the adolecent mumps"........the boss

thought this one manfred mann...blinded by the light?

offshoredrillin 09-18-2006 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by boatme
Rob

do you have water pressure gauges ???

Most of the time It tells you you have a problem long before the temp goes to 250

every boat i have owned had them or i put em in

first defence against overheating

temp didnt get over 200, could just hear it drop off and start to suck air and I shut down quick, then put in reverse. What i did learn was not to turn off the motor once the bag is free, just let it start to circulate cool water, if not then you just have a dry block staying hot....

And I was GLAD it came off very quickly:D

offshoredrillin 09-18-2006 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by JCPERF
:rolleyes:

yup yup

Panther 09-18-2006 08:11 AM

Nah, it was the loose nut behind the wheel running thru crab traps... :D

GLH 09-18-2006 10:06 AM

Picked up a bag yesterday...

I hope it's a paper one, when you use plastic the chick turns blue after a few minutes....

Ahhhhhhh reminds me of the single life way back when....

Dean Ferry 09-18-2006 10:16 AM

Yep,
I sucked up a bunch of Sea grass that was floating in the Barge Canal yesterday. Going in reverse in a jet boat doesn't clear it out. :rolleyes: Had to jump into the water, dive under the boat and I pulled 2-3 Hands full of seagrass out of the jet intake grate! :eek:
Jumped back in, started her up and off I went. :D
Dean

Pantera1 09-18-2006 10:38 AM

temp didnt get over 200, could just hear it drop off and start to suck air and I shut down quick, then put in reverse. What i did learn was not to turn off the motor once the bag is free, just let it start to circulate cool water, if not then you just have a dry block staying hot....

And I was GLAD it came off very quickly:D

Actualy you should shut it down and let it cool slowly . Pumping cold water through a very hot cast iron block = cracks :D

mr_velocity 09-18-2006 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Yep,
I sucked up a bunch of Sea grass that was floating in the Barge Canal yesterday. Going in reverse in a jet boat doesn't clear it out. :rolleyes: Had to jump into the water, dive under the boat and I pulled 2-3 Hands full of seagrass out of the jet intake grate! :eek:
Jumped back in, started her up and off I went. :D
Dean

If you're up on plane get her going as fast as you can, shut the motor down and pull the shift into reverse as quick as possible. Usually get the water flowing through the pump backwards enought to clear things out.

Tom A. 09-18-2006 11:31 AM

Last year I sucked a plastic bag in through the low water pickup. Temp. Skyrocketed so I shut it down and checked the sea-strainer. It was clear but I still wasn't pumping any water. I had to get towed in and when we pulled the boat out of the water there was a 1" piece of bag sticking out. I ended up pulling a whole plastic grocery bag out of the pickup :eek:
After that episode I installed a water pressure gauge.

Dean Ferry 09-18-2006 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
If you're up on plane get her going as fast as you can, shut the motor down and pull the shift into reverse as quick as possible. Usually get the water flowing through the pump backwards enought to clear things out.

Unfortunatley, I was in a Manatee zone! :mad: But one of the many cool things about this little Seaddo jet boat is we can run along the outside of most of the Manatee zones, because it'll run in 2 feet of water! :eek:
Dean