Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   UPDATE! Opinions Wanted - Donzi Severely Blistering (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/14111-update-opinions-wanted-donzi-severely-blistering.html)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 10-18-2001 04:04 PM

Audiofn, Sorry for the late reply. There could be several reasons for this happening to the Gelcoat. Too thin of a Gelcoat as well as porosity of the Gelcoat will allow water to get passed it and trapped between the gelcoat and the resin/fiberglass layers. The expansion of this water then forces the gel out into bubbles. This may not be the case here because during the survey when they popped the bubbles there was no water found. That leads me to believe that the thinning agents or the Methanol Ketone Peroxide "MEK" (The Catylist) may not have mixed properly due to a defective spray gun perhaps? After a while the thinners never get a chance to evaporate properly and also get trapped keeping spots of the gelcoat soft and it never reaches it correct Barcal hardness. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Biggus 10-18-2001 04:38 PM

I have learned a lot on this thread!
Sharkley,thanks for the info!

Biggus 10-18-2001 05:57 PM

If you are following this thread, look up donzi.net and read the posts about this! It`s under "Blister boy" someone even suggested that Donzi file suit against him because of all the bad press! :confused:

BillR 10-18-2001 06:00 PM

HMmmmm, from the LOOKS of things, it APPEARS that the ball is in Donzi's court.

Chris, Have you (since 10/12) tried to call Donzi C.S.? If not, why? How 'bout registered letters? If not, why? I would not rely on e-mail alone to resolve this. Personally I would call and tape the conversation.

Have you contacted legal representation? If so, what is their advice to you?

Audiofn 10-18-2001 10:01 PM

Sharkey thanks for the input. You seem to have hardened the point that this is so obviously a construction problem or the use of cheap material. I also have done a lot of glass work (used to make and repair surf board dude :D). I know that one other cause is the use of old resins and hardeners. These resins are often times offered at cheaper prices to get them off the shelf. We often used them in surf board of our own because we knew that we would break the boards long before we would have problems with the old resin. Surf boards are only ment to last a year at best. They however are only 300-800 bucks. This boat I am sure was upwards of 50K. I think its expected life span should have been over 1 year!!! Anyhow all of this is DONZI's responsibility and they should be ashamed with themselves. To try and do anything but give you a new hull that is properly made or the good majority of your money back is the only solution that is fair in my eyes.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 10-18-2001 10:48 PM

That's what's so great about this board, we all can learn a little from everyone. And if there is ever a manufacturer's recall on something, here is where they should post it. The word flies around the globe here!!! :D :D :D

stingray 10-19-2001 11:56 AM

Chris, I cannot believe that email was the only means of communication here from the Donzi folks. This severely hardens my opinion of this company. Donzi, you've had a great history but apparently the new owners (AMH) are more concerned with the bottom line versus reputation. I think they should've changed the product name when they bought them out. Perhaps they don't care about performace boats anymore and want to put their efforts into their mainstay, Pro-Line, the fishing boat. You older Donzi drivers can still hold your heads up high because you're still driving an original "quality" piece. I understand your loyalty but be not fooled by the name or outward appearances anymore. R.I.P. Donzi or whoever you actually are....Current 1996-2002 Donzi owners, I'd be keeping a sharp eye on every inch of my boat from this point on......

Donzi22zx, you're right. The stinch is soooo bad.... :(

Rick
www.HRPA.homestead.com/homepage.html

RickS 10-19-2001 12:35 PM

Chris,
I wasn't going to post on this topic again, but after reading your last post I wanted to straighten something out. Mike M. at Donzi did not label you with the name "The Blister Boy". He was only refering to the original title of the post on donzi.net, one of the other members authored the title. I'm done.

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: RickS ]

chrker 10-19-2001 01:48 PM

RickS:

That is why I used the word proliferate (i.e. to propagate)

Proliferate Intransitive Verb: To increase or spread.
Propagate Intransitive Verb: To extend to a broader area or larger number; to spread.

Chris

DWH 10-19-2001 01:57 PM

Chris,

The only name Mr. Miller was calling you was "gentlemen".

WOW...how offensive is that??? Man, you must have some thin skin.

Any sensible person would have taken this to court months ago, but my friend, I believe you fear a loss.

Hey, if I could quote other people as well as you do, I'd represent myself!!!

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: TAX TIPS ]