UPDATE!  Opinions Wanted - Donzi Severely Blistering >

UPDATE! Opinions Wanted - Donzi Severely Blistering

Notices

UPDATE! Opinions Wanted - Donzi Severely Blistering

Old 10-15-2001, 01:35 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are always 2 sides to a story. BUT, the photos speak for themselves. Being a boater for 31 years; I can not imagine anything a consumer could do that would have this type of end results. Even if it was left in the water the entire time (it IS a boat) which obviously is not the case. What about the fact that Donzi had different ownership when that boat was made? Is that why they won't step up?

I had some fiberglass issues with my Powerquest that turned out to be caused by forklifts as it was taken out of the water. Even though it was not a PQ problem, they fixed it!

Since this has been going on for so long and Donzi has not replied, there MUST be more to the situation. I have seen first hand that Donzi customer service is top notch! This doesn't make sense.
Old 10-15-2001, 01:51 PM
RickS

#1) Donzi is not a mass produced boat, every boat is hand built.

#2) My impression is that Donzi is reluctant to cover repairs on this boat because they have no idea what the original selling dealer did to the boat, in the years before the sale. The original selling dealer screwed you not Donzi.

Frank this is the same guy and boat from before.

I still don't think there is enough information on what happened to the boat before you bought it. Donzi is very good about covering warranty issues, I have to think they're not covering due to concers they have over work the original dealer may have done to the boat. FYI, Donzi has recently paid out between $5K-$10K in warranty work on my father's 33ZX which was damaged by the original dealer. Donzi does back thier boats.

[ 10-15-2001: Message edited by: RickS ]

Old 10-15-2001, 02:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with RickS, there's more to this story. Something's missing.
Donzi is not saying why they won't warrenty the hull. I find it unusual that a reason wasn't given.
Is it possible that because it sat from 1996 to 1999 and they don't know how it was handled during that time period?
If the dealer sold it to you claiming the full warrenty was available, and now the manufacturer isn't honoring it, I'd be going after him too. Sounds like missrepresentation.
Old 10-15-2001, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RickS Writes:
"#2) My impression is that Donzi is reluctant to cover repairs on this boat because they have no idea what the original selling dealer did to the boat, in the years before the sale. The original selling dealer screwed you not Donzi."

If Donzi had concerns with the authorized Donzi dealer or the boat itself, how could they have authorized him to sell it to me as new with a new boat warranty? The fact that I have a new boat warranty has been validated by 2 certified marine surveyors. One of whom was furnished by Donzi Marine. The fact that I received a new boat warranty is not in dispute by either party. Donzi even references it in their "proposal" to me. Read the data.

My opinion is this boat should have never been sold as new with a new boat warranty if Donzi never intended to stand behind it. Of course, I would not have bought it in that case. But, it was, and I did, so I plan to hold them to it.

RickS Writes:
"Frank this is the same guy and boat from before."

If you are referring to Franks first post, I think I addressed it earlier in this thread.

RickS Writes:
"I still don't think there is enough information on what happened to the boat before you bought it. Donzi is very good about covering warranty issues, I have to think they're not covering due to concers over work the dealer may have done to the boat. FYI, Donzi has recently paid out between $5K-$10K is warranty work on my father's 33ZX which was damaged by the original dealer. Donzi does back thier boats."

I bought the boat from an authorized Donzi Marine dealer. It was sold to me as new and I was extended a new boat warranty. I find it really hard to believe that you think Donzi’s hands are clean in this transaction.

In case you haven’t read the discussion thread on BoatUS at http://www.boatus-forum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000505.html regarding consumer complaints against Donzi Marine, I am not the only one who has issues with them.

While I am happy that your father has been taken care of, it’s my opinion he is the exception and not the rule regarding customer service at Donzi Marine.

Based on my experiences and what I have read from others in the consumer complaint database at BoatUS and elsewhere, I’m here to say that Donzi Marine does not stand behind their products.

Chris
Old 10-15-2001, 04:16 PM
stingray

ThunderDan:
Meant nothing about AT other than the mfr has been considered by a few of my friends and would be on my list too for a 32 should I ever be so inclined...I currently own a Sunsation and it makes me wonder how they would deal with it if it were to happen to me since my boat is only 3.5 months old????

This is an intriqueing (sp?) story and the curiosity is there about how another (especially those with high reputations) boat mfr would deal with it or if they would get wrapped up in the literal writings in the warranty??? I can't imagine ending up with a hull like that after investing that much $$$ with the understanding it was to be treated as Chris says "a new boat" warranty wise.....

Rick
www.HRPA.homestead.com/homepage.html

Old 10-15-2001, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rick,

I hear ya loud and clear, I too wonder how other manufacturers would handle this type of a problem. I know that you did not mean anything by your post, you were just asking a question. Sorry if my post gave the impression that I was on the offense.

Good luck to you Chris, and I will be sending a e-mail to Donzi on your behalf.
Old 10-15-2001, 05:25 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
OUCH, that does not look good nor does it smell good

I think a very good attorney is the way to go. As a final gesture to Donzi, I would give them YOUR fair deal on the upgrade to a 26' and tell them that if the offer is refused it will be turned over to the attorney. That might light the fire under their feet.
Old 10-15-2001, 06:12 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is it possible that this boat was sunk while a demo? Or would that not cause the blistering shown? Those pictures are bad! Good Luck
Old 10-15-2001, 08:30 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts
man those pictures are unbelieviable. i have done warrenty work for donzi directly, for a local dealer.and i've got to tell you, most of the repairs i've done were re-doing gel and glass work that was done at the factory.
they do the worst in house repair i have ever seen. so if they ever want to work a deal out
where they want to fix your boat at the factory ,tell em to forget it.i do still believe they build a good boat, it's just that they have some pretty major production
and assembly issues that need to be addressed.on just about every zx i've ever seen they blister all the around the base of the wind screen,about every 2 feet.its a direct result of how they bond that part on. i cant understand for the life of me why they still build em like that knowing its giong to be a problem.just seems like theres no comunication between design,engineering and production. i hope every thing works out for you,wish i could help.good luck
Old 10-15-2001, 08:42 PM
Frank Civitano

I know 2 ZXs that dont have any blisters a 96 and a 98 ZX but they have the windscreen not the windshield screen. Also I beat the heck out of my hull and I have yet to see a crack 2 years of 80 mph out of a 22ZX and I run in a lot of Poker Rus including the Hudson Poker run with an average speed of 72 I was one of the first single engine boats at the first card stop and I was running solid with twin engine boats. She is one solid boat. I have had that boat in better then 15ft waves running at 40mph. Not a great place to be with a 22 but I knew the boat can take it. Like I said any issues I have with Donzi are always taken care of.

Quick Reply: UPDATE! Opinions Wanted - Donzi Severely Blistering

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.