Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   For those of you that have switched from an Offshore to... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/141495-those-you-have-switched-offshore.html)

LEOPAJM 09-28-2006 02:05 PM

Re: For those of you that have switched from an Offshore to...

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Z06vette
Check out the Spectre 24, it's got a great layout and runs really good from what I here.

:evilb:

THE BULL 09-28-2006 03:40 PM

There have been a few Adrenaline 38s built.......I know also there have been a few 31s built as well

offshoresman- I made up a new word?!

cgarrett 09-28-2006 05:51 PM

I have had 2 center consoles.
I started boating on a 24 Baja Outlaw.
Second boat was a 1987 Cigarette 31 Decathlon with tripple Mercury 220's. I still regret selling this boat. Great in rough water. Lots of room to move. Cabin room was ok for two but just a place to lay down. Hull was the same as the Bullet. very unique boat with not many made.

I then bought a 24 Superboat that I loved and the wife hated.
Nothing was wrong with the boat but it always wanted to run fast even in rough water and I was laughing and she was crying so this was not going to work.

My current boat is a 2001 Baja 34 Islander (Sport Fish) with Twin Mercury 250 EFI Saltwater Series. Had one summer with this boat. Has more room in the cabin then the Cig. Also the Front seat of the center console lifts up and has a pretty big area that you can step down and use a porta potti or use the area for storage. Has fish boxes on both side of the floors that you can put stuff in. It is self bailing. This boat has a top that is nice to get out of the sun along with a full canopy cover for storage.
We go to the sandbar, fish, and overnite on the boat so it is good for all around fun. There are a lot of boats that are flashier and built tougher but I had a price range to meet and it is a lot of boat for the money.

Now with that said...........The wife is now wanting a bigger cabin with A/C. I can't blame her on this one as we stay on the boat a lot of weekends in the summer. Neither of the center consoles had a hatch to open so this is something to think about. If you go someplace with friends overnite there is really no place for them to sleep so you give up your bed and sleep on that roomy floor outside and pray that it does not rain.
Having a padded engine hatch cover to lay/sit on is also nice.

Just like anything there are pros and cons..........

Cordell

Cevert 09-28-2006 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by cgarrett
The wife is now wanting a bigger cabin with A/C. I can't blame her on this one as we stay on the boat a lot of weekends in the summer. Neither of the center consoles had a hatch to open so this is something to think about. If you go someplace with friends overnite there is really no place for them to sleep so you give up your bed and sleep on that roomy floor outside and pray that it does not rain.
Having a padded engine hatch cover to lay/sit on is also nice.

You are describing the ME 37 Cabin and the reason Mason told me he built it.

FeverMike 09-28-2006 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by formula1
What did "FeverMike" mean by this? I think he meant to say that the maintenence is much less on a outboard powered CC.

Do the Concepts have a forward cuddy?

Sorry to confuse you...what I meant was CC w/ outboards can get into shallow water such as close to the beach easier than a I/O and CC's are easier to take car of than a typical I/O go-fast style boat.

Yes the 32 and 36 Concept have a forward cuddy with a V-Birth and 2 facing couches.

see ya

cuda 09-28-2006 09:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Do the Renegade have a forward cuddy?

Johno's 29 Renegade has a small forward cuddy.

Spicy 09-29-2006 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by cuda
Johno's 29 Concept has a small forward cuddy.

Cuda, that is a 29 Renegade not a Concept..... :eek: :D

GregP 09-29-2006 07:38 AM

I miss the sound of the big blocks. I love the ease of work on the outboards, though they are harder to find problems on and parts can be pricey. Fuel use is about the same. Overall the CC is much more practicle, less maintenance and better suited to my use if not my ego.

cuda 09-29-2006 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Spicy
Cuda, that is a 29 Renegade not a Concept..... :eek: :D

Thanks, change noted. You would think I should know his boat. He was my best boatin' buddy in St Pete. Brain Fade. :(

cuda 09-29-2006 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by GregP
Overall the CC is much more practicle, .

I don't think the words "pratical", and "boat" should ever be used in the same sentence. :drink:

bojoe2 09-29-2006 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Concept and Midnight Express could both handle that task; albeit might need to be a 36-38 footer.

You just described the 36 concept to a " T " w/ t 300's

GregP 09-29-2006 08:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)

I don't think the words "pratical", and "boat" should ever be used in the same sentence. :drink:

The boat needs to be "practical" as my other toy sure isn't.

-Greg

warbird 09-29-2006 09:49 AM

If you're gonna use the CC for an all around fun/party/friends boat, one of the first things is to put some seats in it. Those leaning posts don't really give you the support you need to "drive" the boat like we're used to.

FeverMike 09-30-2006 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by warbird
If you're gonna use the CC for an all around fun/party/friends boat, one of the first things is to put some seats in it. Those leaning posts don't really give you the support you need to "drive" the boat like we're used to.

that is very good advice from Warbird. Do NOT skimp on the seat and get the standard leaning post...get some real bolster put in a CC and they are even more enjoyable.

Hey Cuda, where has Johno been?

Johno 09-30-2006 12:55 PM

Hey Cuda, where has Johno been?[/QUOTE]

I'm here..just lurking :D
I could't be happier with the CC. Boating has now become easy & a pleasure. I have even had the pleasure of towing Cuda in with my CC. You can't beat the operating & maintenance costs compared to I/B's.

FeverMike 09-30-2006 10:12 PM

Hey Johno! When are we gonna meet up at Rattlefish again?!?!?! Next time you are boating in the bay let me know.

Yes, I've towed a few performance boats in myself! :D Last one was last month and it was a broken down 29 Warlock.

cuda 10-01-2006 10:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by FeverMike

Hey Cuda, where has Johno been?

As a matter of fact, I met up with him for the first time on the water since we moved 2.5 years ago. Met up at Mar Vista. Deb and I were already in Saratota for the Donzi Rally, so I gave him a call, and they met us there. He said to pray for him. He was riding in his buddy's 35 Fever with I/O's. :drink:

They made it. :p

cuda 10-01-2006 10:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We were in Deb's 22. :)

cuda 10-01-2006 10:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think Johno enjoyed watching me play rope monkey while Captain Deb barked out orders to me. :( :( :eek: :drink:

zimm17 10-02-2006 06:32 AM

Interesting thread. Between this and reading the CC article in Powerboat magazine (july 06), it really got me thinking about them. A 29-35 footer that is trailerable, has a head in the console, and a cuddy with enough ventilation to sleep in would make a very nice all around party/wave blaster/camping/scuba diving/do it all boat. I plan to move to Jacksonville FL, and a larger CC will probably be more useful than my 22 classic.

I was looking at the Donzi ZF cuddy's and Spectre has a new 34' coming out. Needs to be trailerable. Any others worth looking at? I think I'd at least want 60mph, closer to 70mph would be better. I guess it's hard to have a really fast SUV type boat without having 3 or 4 engines. I don't fish, but scuba dive. Need lots of seating area.

GregP 10-02-2006 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by LEOPAJM
Saber will be offering their line in CC versions ..... The first one , a 41 triple should hit Lake Erie next year .... Stay tuned !

Will it be going to anyone we know?

Dd24skater 10-02-2006 11:22 AM

Sold my Skater for a 34 Baja Sportfish! Love the room!

Couldn't be happier!

Dd

offshoresteve 10-02-2006 12:31 PM

I am selling my 28 Skater and buying a center console.I really like the 35 donzi,looking for a 2001 or newer.

SLOWOUTBOARD 10-02-2006 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by offshoresteve
I am selling my 28 Skater and buying a center console.I really like the 35 donzi,looking for a 2001 or newer.

buddy bought a 05 last year 2-250 mercs.the side graphics are painted on and they started to blister.it was sent out to be redone under warr and came back worse then before.the rep told him you are not supposed to leave the boat in the water.we all got a good laugh.so now he is suing donzi to take it back.

cgarrett 10-02-2006 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dd24skater
Sold my Skater for a 34 Baja Sportfish! Love the room!

Couldn't be happier!

Dd

Where is your boat?
A friend at my boat club just told me he seen a boat like mine around Middlefield, Ohio.

Cordell

Johno 10-02-2006 05:44 PM

As a matter of fact, I met up with him for the first time on the water since we moved 2.5 years ago. Met up at Mar Vista. Deb and I were already in Saratota for the Donzi Rally, so I gave him a call, and they met us there. He said to pray for him. He was riding in his buddy's 35 Fever with I/O's. :drink:

They made it. :p

The 35 Fountain does ride nice, just so different from a CC. The CC are obviously much more tail heavy. The BB drown any rattles :D Still love the convenience of the CC

jtmiller02 10-02-2006 11:07 PM

i have said it before and will say it again, if you want a CC you will not find a better boat than a yellowfin

cuda 10-03-2006 06:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a 35 Donzi that was at the Donzi Hometown Rally last weekend in Sarasota.

formula1 10-03-2006 11:21 AM

Well, it's a start, but I bought a older Hydrasport 1800CC with a 150 Yamaha. It's all pretty much been redone. Just gotta do a little rewiring for the lights and stereo. I took it out in the river on Sunday with 1-2 footers and a stiff North wind. I will tell ya, it has been a LONG time since I have riden in such a small boat in those kinda conditions! :eek: It was quite a bumpy ride! Of course, those conditions don't mean squat in my 31' Formula! LOL! In fact, I would call them ideal!

Thanks for all the good info. There are alot of really nice CC's with the forward cuddy's. That is what I'm leaning towards and despite the coolness of triples, I think twin's would be good enough! Anyone have some performance data on a typical 34-36 footer with twin 250's?

Do the CC's ride as good as the Offshore boats in similiar conditions? My wife hates a bumpy ride! :rolleyes:

DRIVEN1 10-03-2006 11:28 AM

Here's a 35 Donzi that was at the Donzi Hometown Rally last weekend in Sarasota.

I like the quad bolsters on this boat. Do you know if it still had a bench in back or did they lose it with the extra bolsters?

DENNYB 10-03-2006 12:47 PM

Well, it's a start, but I bought a older Hydrasport 1800CC with a 150 Yamaha. It's all pretty much been redone. Just gotta do a little rewiring for the lights and stereo. I took it out in the river on Sunday with 1-2 footers and a stiff North wind. I will tell ya, it has been a LONG time since I have riden in such a small boat in those kinda conditions! :eek: It was quite a bumpy ride! Of course, those conditions don't mean squat in my 31' Formula! LOL! In fact, I would call them ideal!

Thanks for all the good info. There are alot of really nice CC's with the forward cuddy's. That is what I'm leaning towards and despite the coolness of triples, I think twin's would be good enough! Anyone have some performance data on a typical 34-36 footer with twin 250's?

Do the CC's ride as good as the Offshore boats in similiar conditions? My wife hates a bumpy ride! :rolleyes:

I would say on the ride and handling you need to make sure that the hull is going to perform in the conditions whether its calm to rough to rollers.The beam, length, and hull dead-rise all play as an important factor in how and what you are expecting from the reaction of your Hull and Engine combinations.There are CC's with a true performing Hull, and others that will beat you to death. For an example, Concept Boats.They are Deep Vee Performance Hulls! It does it all.
It has a very comfortable entry off of waves, performs while your skipping on top, all with the right combinations depending on size of twin or trips it gets it done. Poker Runs,
weekend partying, awesome factory sound systems, and the wildest of Custom Graphics. www.conceptboats.com

John W. Blake 10-03-2006 02:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
38' Donzi - 3 - 275 Verados - nice ride - nice price - nice speed - nice fish

formula1 10-03-2006 02:30 PM

I really like the Marlago's and the Intrepids. But, they seem way to pricey for me. The Donzi, Fountains and Bajas seem to be more realistic in price. I know you get what you pay for! :rolleyes:

Cuda showed a picture of his friends Renegade. Seems like a nice boat, but I haven't heard of them before. Anyone know any good or bad about these boats?

cuda 10-03-2006 05:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Cuda showed a picture of his friends Renegade. Seems like a nice boat, but I haven't heard of them before. Anyone know any good or bad about these boats?

That is Johno's boat. He posted on post #66 on this thread. He said he couldn't have been happier with the deal, and the way the company treated him while building it. Send him a pm, he'll tell you all about it. The only problem is he sounds funny when he talks. :drink:

carcrash 10-03-2006 10:19 PM

I sold an outboard to get an I/O offshore boat. Then I sold the I/O offshore boat to get a semi go-fast, semi fishing boat: a Fountain 32 Sportfish Cruiser I/O. I like it, have not found anything yet that fits my needs better.

I do like CC/OB boats. Spent the winter playing with a friends in the Keys. It had an aluminum tower with steering station, great for finding the rocks with fish and lobster. Self bailing cockpit kept it from sinking: once filled the entire boat up by being dragged backwards at about 8 knots, water came over the OB well, right through the boat, about 18" or 2 feet deep! Would have sunk any other boat I can think of, was no problem for that Mako 26.

I think a CC/OB will probably get more use for most people than an offshore go-fast.

In my experience, OBs are far more salt water tolerant than car-based I/O or IB boats.

OBs are a LOT easier to work on than an I/O engine.

Offshore boats are the best for what they are built to do: go fast in rough water.

CCs are better for what they are built to do (fish, dive), and for what most people do on the weekend (take lots of friends out to goof off all day).

zimm17 10-04-2006 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by carcrash
I think a CC/OB will probably get more use for most people than an offshore go-fast.

In my experience, OBs are far more salt water tolerant than car-based I/O or IB boats.

OBs are a LOT easier to work on than an I/O engine.

Offshore boats are the best for what they are built to do: go fast in rough water.

CCs are better for what they are built to do (fish, dive), and for what most people do on the weekend (take lots of friends out to goof off all day).

Couldn't be said better. I just have to get the financial ducks in a row to get one! Now if I can figure out how to keep my 22 Donzi AND get a CC, that would be the best of both worlds.