Notices

Why not race?

Old 10-03-2006, 07:14 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why not race?

Most poker runs use a "start boat" or "pace boat" to keep some control over the participants in hazardous or congested areas. Also areas where there are speed limits, etc. Having been on a well paced, well policed run like Key West you see why it can work really well. Usually the times when the run will have the most negative impact or incidents is when there is no pace boat. If you let everyone go free form, the big dogs will still form up, wait for each other, and then have at it.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:59 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by packinair
maybe someone said it and I missed it... INSURANCE!!!!!!!
alot of boats have loans on them or the owner can not/will not risk a loss of the boat. in a poker run you are still covered on your insurance, in a race, from flag to flag you have NO coverage, so if you have an situation you can loose your boat, if you have a loan on it your SOL, you will still have to make the payments on a fish reef. Alot I know that do not have a loan would not risk taking the loss.. just my worthless 2 cents
The big risk is liability in any of these events.......and the well run races and Poker Runs have it. Based on the recent events I'm sure insurance companies will be racing each other to exclude all types of "speed events" from your PD coverage....... At least , in a race, you are covered on the liability side..... In most "fun runs" there is no coverage at all...

I wonder if a road racer gets collision coverage if he dings his hot rod in a street race??????? Unsanctioned events are basically "street races" on the water....something to consider.

T2x
Old 10-03-2006, 10:01 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by packinair
maybe someone said it and I missed it... INSURANCE!!!!!!!
alot of boats have loans on them or the owner can not/will not risk a loss of the boat. in a poker run you are still covered on your insurance, in a race, from flag to flag you have NO coverage, so if you have an situation you can loose your boat, if you have a loan on it your SOL, you will still have to make the payments on a fish reef. Alot I know that do not have a loan would not risk taking the loss.. just my worthless 2 cents
One other point....if you are financing a race boat.... you probably should rethink your choices.......

T2x
Old 10-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
OldRaceFan:

People like you are why I TRY stay out of these threads. OPA has made no mention of your comment about rough or smooth water races. I am simply trying to bring back some good competition and hopefully we'll have some rough water races. If the seas lay down in Point Pleasant , Ocean City or wherever we race , ORL will certainly be ready to RACE ON. Feel free to call me personally if you want to know our mission for 2007.

Brian Hollis
770-560-3747
www.offshoreracingleague.com

Brian I am all for your efforts. I am saying that you are limiting yourself by saying you are only going to race rough water races. OPA does not limit themselves to only rough water races, there is nothing wrong with a little flat water ask Tyler Crockett and the Papa Dukes boys if they minded racing deck to deck in Saint Clair for the entire race this year. That was probably the best racing I have seen in a long time. I am a huge supporter of what you are trying to do I just dont want you to limit yourself to rough water.

Jeff
Old 10-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by oldracefan
Brian I am all for your efforts. I am saying that you are limiting yourself by saying you are only going to race rough water races. OPA does not limit themselves to only rough water races, there is nothing wrong with a little flat water ask Tyler Crockett and the Papa Dukes boys if they minded racing deck to deck in Saint Clair for the entire race this year. That was probably the best racing I have seen in a long time. I am a huge supporter of what you are trying to do I just dont want you to limit yourself to rough water.

Jeff
ORL will run under OPA . If you legal to run ORL then OPA is bracket racing you can run OPA under the proper class. Its not rough water racing its open ocean racing with a larger corse then OPA .
Old 10-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Registered

TX2:

Can you e-mail me please.

[email protected].

Thanks,

Gregg Reichman
Old 10-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Registered

When AMC pulls my ticket on Thursday night, I'll be RACING!!!
Old 10-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Registered

I think the poker run concept is a good one, that's why its so popular: run as fast as you feel like for as long as you feel like, back off any time. Stop at interesting places, socialize. Do anything you want to hop up your boat, or make it simply work well for you. Whatever, its all OK.

What's not to like?

Its not racing. Its just for fun.

Racing is great too, although I have yet to do any organized powerboat racing (waiting for that ticket...). But I am getting tempted to buy in. Racing is a totally different scene, in that what you can do the boat is very, very constrained, how fast you need to run is very constrained. But I know I learn a LOT through competition, and that's fun, that's a good thing too.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by carcrash
When AMC pulls my ticket on Thursday night, I'll be RACING!!!
Uhhh....

that would be AMF

should remember the name of someone whos gonna give you a $70,000 boat
Old 10-04-2006, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
One other point....if you are financing a race boat.... you probably should rethink your choices.......

T2x

GIVE EM TIME THEY WILL LEARN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......m.m...