Notices

An unrequested endorsement of Steve David

Old 01-03-2002, 10:33 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Post An unrequested endorsement of Steve David

After reading the recent posts on FORCE, I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth.

As a point of factual history, Steve David has a magnificent resume in all forms of power boat racing, both on the course and behind the scenes. As a youngster, Steve began his racing career. At an age when most folks can't spell "hydroplane", he set numerous world records. After a stint in various limited hydro classes Steve was invited to step up to the ultimate ride..... The Unlimiteds. ( Remember this is a class where you don't "buy" your way to a ride) His superior driving skills were mirrored by an excellent sense of humor, a genuine affection for the sport and its competitors, and true compassion.

After toiling in various posts for the APBA in a voluntary capacity, he was nominated as President of the entire organization. His tenure was cut short after a passionate disagreement over some of the "good ol' boy" behavior that has bedeviled the association for as long as any of us who have paid attention can remember.

He entered the offshore arena in my friend, Nigel Hook's, unfortunately narrow and overpowered Scarab. The awkward hull surprised Steve immediately with it's typical step bottomed vee inability to turn agressively and stay right side up at the same time. (fortunately something laughably unheard of in a real race boat). Presently he(gingerly) drives a Fountain factory backed entry in F2 class.

To the point....... Of all the so-called "leaders" in our sport Steve has ,without a doubt, the best credentials. He has no need for self promotion, no profit motive, and no "wannabe" tendencies. He has a real long term commitment to the sport we love and interpersonal skills that far outshine those of anyone else currently in play. Further, he makes friends, creates positive relationships, encourages participation and knows when to say thank you.

While this in no way is a condemnation of any other organizer...I firmly believe that Steve offers a viable, positive alternative for the true racer at a time when it is truely needed. If Steve is behind FORCE, than so am I, and you can count me in to help in any way possible. I know that FORCE has become a tool of sorts in some angry tirades recently posted and that's unfortunate. Negative attacks are definitely not Steve's style, nor would he sanction a conflict based on ego clashes and petty bickering. (Lord knows we've had enough "pecker length" contests to last us all 10 lifetimes)

Well there you have it... Give the guy a chance... He'll show you respect, work his butt off to create a winner, and , most importantly, act in an honest, modest, and trustworthy manner... Now wouldn't that be a nice change?

T2x

PS: Steve.. You owe me a taco

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: T2x ]
Old 01-03-2002, 11:36 PM
Bayley

I'd buy him a beer!

I got lots of great EFI infomation from him. I had no idea about his involvment with APBA. All I know, is that he has a "some-what quick" Black Thunder

-Bayley

Old 01-03-2002, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally posted by T2x:
<STRONG>.. he makes friends, creates positive relationships, encourages participation and knows when to say thank you.
[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: T2x ]</STRONG>
I had the opportunity to meet Steve at the Detroit Gold Cup this past summer- he was receptive to young and old alike in the hot pits.
T2x's words are right on the money- Steve is a true gentleman and I wish him the best of luck in the future!
Old 01-04-2002, 12:21 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

T2X and Friends,

Thankyou for your kind words. On behalf of the Sarasota, Fort Myers, Cleveland, Corpus Christi and other RSVP sites, and for myself I haven't responded to the various charges, counter charges, etc. that have been flying. Nor will I. As 9/11 reminded us, Life is precious, all too short and it seems to me a gift to be revered and shared.

It's easy in our focused world of racing to make Mountains out of a crystal of sand. However, that rage produces nothing but more rage, and doesn't serve anyone. What is the legacy we each wish to leave beind? Is it a better Family, healthy and wise children, contributions to the betterment of life for those in need or that we "Beat" someone or some organization or pointed out the follies of another??

My Father was one of the kindest gentlemen I've ever met. I don't ever recall a word of evil towards anyone. Even after his service in WW 2, as a man of the Jewish faith fighting for America, he didn't come back with venom. I mention this because he told me time and again "Son, if you're throwing dirt, you're losing ground."

There isn't a one of you I will not help if possible. As for the Offshore racing, I'll continue to help the sites I've mentioned put on the best races they can and serve their appointed charities. If you wish to race with us, thank you. If not, be safe, have fun wherever you are and help that race with all your energy.

Take care,

Steve
Old 01-04-2002, 01:27 AM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

STEVE DAVID = CLASS ACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΈ!
Old 01-04-2002, 01:58 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Steve is a true Sportsman and Gentleman. He has given me good advice more than once.

Dave Jobes
Old 01-04-2002, 07:27 AM
Registered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SteveDavid:
"Son, if you're throwing dirt, you're losing ground."

Your entire reply was very well said and spoken like a true gentleman. I especially like the aforementioend quote. Best of luck Steve!

Shane
Old 01-04-2002, 07:57 AM
Kent Perroux

Where did this come from? I do not remember anyone trashing Steve David. But then again I also don't live here.

I am surprised that you (TX2) were trashing the Wellcraft Scarab since I do not remember you ever driving it. Some people have different driving abilities and likes and I definately think the Nigel Hook could afford to correct anything HE felt was inadaquate not to mention the insinuation that Larry Smith Scarab cannot build a good boat. I know several people that do not like the way Fountains and Velocities handle, but that is merely their opinions because I know others will would have nothing else.

Could it be that you (TX2) are unhappy with APBA because you are no longer the television host? You were very positive when you WERE the host.

Old 01-04-2002, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Truly a class act.

I do have a stupid question though...and forgive me if this has already been covered, but I didn't get the impression that FORCE and OPBRA were meant to compete with APBA.

I thought FORCE would be putting race sites together for sanctioned(or unsanctioned) APBA and/or SBI races. It was my understanding that in the past, individual clubs put the races on at their respective sites and APBA or SBI would sanction the event. Has it been mentioned that Steve and his team are competing with APBA and SBI? I don't understand where the rub comes from?

Again, apologies for my ignorance...
Old 01-04-2002, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kent,

I think what we have here is a T2X good-natured dig at V-bottoms in general. I don't think he meant any ill will to Steve, Nigel, Larry or anyone else on the Conseco team...I think it's just him being a "cat" guy...with the propellers spinning out, not in

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Sean ]

Quick Reply: An unrequested endorsement of Steve David

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.