Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   how amny gallons of awlgrip to paint the deck and hull sides of the mich light boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/142090-how-amny-gallons-awlgrip-paint-deck-hull-sides-mich-light-boat.html)

ratman 10-05-2006 01:16 PM

how amny gallons of awlgrip to paint the deck and hull sides of the mich light boat?

im gonna order my materials in the am, wondering how many gllons to shoot the deck and hull sides of the mich light boat, thx for you input, rm

DollaBill 10-05-2006 01:20 PM

Re: how amny gallons of awlgrip to paint the deck and hull sides of the mich light boat?

should be about 4 gallons. If I remember correctly. Also, make sure you use a couple coats of primer.

cosmic12 10-05-2006 01:22 PM

Re: how amny gallons of awlgrip to paint the deck and hull sides of the mich light boat?

I was just wondering why you are using Awlgrip when there are so many brands of urethane's out there that are chaeper and easy to apply. All the custom shops paint boats with'em and don't have any problems and if you need touch up its easy to get in small amounts.

rainmn 10-05-2006 01:30 PM

Roller, brush, or Wagner? :D :D

ratman 10-05-2006 03:07 PM

Re: how amny gallons of awlgrip to paint the deck and hull sides of the mich light bo

Originally Posted by cosmic12
I was just wondering why you are using Awlgrip when there are so many brands of urethane's out there that are chaeper and easy to apply. All the custom shops paint boats with'em and don't have any problems and if you need touch up its easy to get in small amounts.

20 years ago while on my fathers boat it lost power pulling into his slip we hit the dock at 5 knots and the boat rode 6 or 7 feet up the dock then slid back down it, big black creasote mark on the front of the boat 5 foot long, he wiped it clean with a laquer rag....no scratch in the paint. i was sold on awlgrip right then and there. try walking on a urethane deck with sandy feet, it will have scratches all over it over in no time.

ratman 10-05-2006 03:08 PM

Re: how amny gallons of awlgrip to paint the deck and hull sides of the mich light bo

Originally Posted by F-N-iGuy.com
should be about 4 gallons. If I remember correctly. Also, make sure you use a couple coats of primer.

is that 4 gallons sprayable or 4 gal of color plus the catalyst and reducers? thx bro

ratman 10-05-2006 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by rainmn
Roller, brush, or Wagner? :D :D

sponge for a faux finish :evilb:

cosmic12 10-05-2006 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by ratman
20 years ago while on my fathers boat it lost power pulling into his slip we hit the dock at 5 knots and the boat rode 6 or 7 feet up the dock then slid back down it, big black creasote mark on the front of the boat 5 foot long, he wiped it clean with a laquer rag....no scratch in the paint. i was sold on awlgrip right then and there. try walking on a urethane deck with sandy feet, it will have scratches all over it over in no time.

OK!! just asking :cool:

rainmn 10-05-2006 03:35 PM

Now you're talking style. :D
Reason I asked is because just the other day I saw a guy laying down a fresh coat of white paint on his fine automobile...in his driveway....with a roller.

Sydwayz 10-05-2006 03:45 PM

1 quart

Glide it on with a popsicle stick. Bristles in the brush waste all the paint on the way from the can.

ratman 10-05-2006 04:39 PM

Now you're talking style. :D
Reason I asked is because just the other day I saw a guy laying down a fresh coat of white paint on his fine automobile...in his driveway....with a roller.

did he live in the 609 telephone prefix :evilb: :eek: :D oil or latex

GOFSTCAT 10-05-2006 04:48 PM

ratman look for awlcraft 2000 you can wet sand and buff ,regular awlgrip will leave a haze if it is wet sanded and buffed, 2000 is mixed at 2 to 1 and regular grip is 1 to 1 you should need aprox 4 gal mixed

ratman 10-05-2006 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by GOFSTCAT
ratman look for awlcraft 2000 you can wet sand and buff ,regular awlgrip will leave a haze if it is wet sanded and buffed, 2000 is mixed at 2 to 1 and regular grip is 1 to 1 you should need aprox 4 gal mixed

what is the difference between the two? thx a lot for the info, rm

offshoredrillin 10-05-2006 05:02 PM

what is the difference between the two? thx a lot for the info, rm

told you your spelling sucks:D

ratman 10-05-2006 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
told you your spelling sucks:D

you going to party wif us at destin? or you stayin home suckin hind teet :evilb: im buying the first 11 rounds biotch the 12th is on you :drink:

bouyhunter 10-05-2006 05:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Ratman has been dating Martha Stuart lately...
Haven't you noticed him becoming more of gentleman.
:rolleyes:

Dude - you're gonna need about 80 cans of Krylon to shoot that.
- and I also found a solution for the graphics!

GOFSTCAT 10-05-2006 05:41 PM

in simple terms regular grip has 'SHINE" only on the top layer
2000 has "SHINE" throughout so when sanded it can be buffed out easier to repair than grip one is a polyurethane and one is acrylic cant remember witch is what

rainmn 10-05-2006 05:46 PM

did he live in the 609 telephone prefix :evilb: :eek: :D oil or latex

As a matter of fact, he did.

Panther 10-05-2006 07:14 PM

As a matter of fact, he did.

Did it have the front quarter panel primed grey, the rear quarter panel primed white with rusted fenders?? :D

PINEY MOBILE! :eek:

Strip Poker 388 10-05-2006 08:10 PM

Make sure you get the one that has the short nap for a smoother finish :drink:

http://www.nibco-ltd.com/images/prod...ler_9_220b.jpg

And if Offshoredrillin helps this is his :rolleyes:

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/pr...e/FDDJMRPC.jpg

Tricky919 10-05-2006 08:31 PM

I believe you want to use awlcraft..........

ratman 10-05-2006 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tricky919
I believe you want to use awlcraft..........

i really liked the durability of the original awlgrip, the hard shell on it is tough as nails, my father has a large sport fish painted with it, he had a 15ft section of the side painted from water line to rub rail. the painter shot it around 8 am and came back from lunch gave it a scuff and buff before it fully cured and got to hard to polish. it came out flawless, i was amazed. ive tried to buff it myself and had bad luck bringing it up, the key is in buffing the blend soon after shooting it about 5 of so hours later. what is awlcraft, a new line of awlgrip paints? thx, rm

ratman 10-05-2006 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Make sure you get the one that has the short nap for a smoother finish :drink:

http://www.nibco-ltd.com/images/prod...ler_9_220b.jpg

And if Offshoredrillin helps this is his :rolleyes:

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/pr...e/FDDJMRPC.jpg

that is robs favorite color, rainbow :evilb:

boatme 10-06-2006 04:23 AM

try walking on a urethane deck with sandy feet, it will have scratches all over it over in no time.

Hey here is and idea RINSE YOUR FEET OFF before walking on the deck

itilldo 10-06-2006 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
Ratman has been dating Martha Stuart lately...
Haven't you noticed him becoming more of gentleman.
:rolleyes:

Dude - you're gonna need about 80 cans of Krylon to shoot that.
- and I also found a solution for the graphics!

thats some funny chit right there!!!!! :D :p :drink:

ratman 10-06-2006 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by boatme

in a perfect world...i hit a lot of little island party hangouts in the tampa bay area, and it's hard to keep sand off your feet 100% of the time, it just happens :( i was really impressed with the original awgrip as being some really tuff stuff, so thats what i want to paint the mich boat with, ive made my mind up. just trying to be sure i buy enough material :D

Tricky919 10-06-2006 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by boatme

Or at least put on your baseball spikes before hopping on the deck........

yahoo 10-06-2006 12:47 PM

You guys are making fun of rolling it on. On the awlgrip website it says you can roll it on no problem. You just have to tip it with a brush and wet sand after.

CM

DollaBill 10-06-2006 01:48 PM

sorry it took so long to get back. Should be 4 mixed. I used to have a great paint team that worked for me, but I couldn't keep my lead guy sober enuf to come to work more than 3 days a week. Oh well.

ratman 10-06-2006 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by yahoo
You guys are making fun of rolling it on. On the awlgrip website it says you can roll it on no problem. You just have to tip it with a brush and wet sand after.

CM

fedships are brush painted with sterling :eek: they have teams painting in shifts to keep it going until completely painted.

Anarchy Powerboats 10-06-2006 08:05 PM

that is robs favorite color, rainbow :evilb:

Who would have thunk it, a thread on paint materials going gay :rolleyes:

ratman 10-06-2006 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by METAL BROS RACING

thunk...i like it :D

Anarchy Powerboats 10-06-2006 08:57 PM

thunk...i like it :D

Just further proof that you can gay anything up, just add OSO :D

offshoredrillin 10-07-2006 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by METAL BROS RACING

and people wonder why I avoid such drivel and rarely post much anymore? :D

ratman 10-07-2006 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
and people wonder why I avoid such drivel and rarely post much anymore? :D

thats it boitch you done now! your on the list, i will find you in one week!!! :evilb: :drink: :D ...just kiddin bro...and i do apologize for letting the cat out of the bag that rainbow is your fav color :D

bouyhunter 10-07-2006 08:48 AM

Rob, I liked the signature about Ghandi better.

Rat, quit f-in around here and go paint the damn boat.
Did you get the graphics package I sent you?? :D

offshoredrillin 10-07-2006 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
Rob, I liked the signature about Ghandi better.

yea but it had run its course, i have some other good ones, I'll change it once a month for the adoring public:evilb:

bouyhunter 10-07-2006 09:11 AM

two guy's walked into bar,
you would have thought the second guy would have seen it....

cosmic12 10-09-2006 09:04 PM

Wow!

Papache 10-09-2006 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by cosmic12
Wow!

Went to school for painting. I paint cars too. I have a 62 ft spray booth. :D