OSO members in Galveston Tx area. >

OSO members in Galveston Tx area.

Notices

OSO members in Galveston Tx area.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:07 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OSO members in Galveston Tx area.

Originally Posted by txriverrat2001
Give me a holler if ya need a deckhand - I may take the 37 out - and then again - your boat is MUCH faster!!!

C YA!!

Capt Ross
832-236-4596
It will be Sunday and I'll call if I have room, later
Old 10-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a house on galveston island, where are you looking ?

The water is choclate brown and pee warm. Its amazing after labor day the island is pretty much vacant except for dickens on the strand in december and mardi gras.

Curtis
Old 10-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Mark Said Most Of Us Are In Clear Lake And In The Bay Around Redfish Island. Also The Blow Boaters Are Not That Bad Here :d
Last Sunday I Counted 15+ Bajas 3 Cigs 2 Fountains 2 Donzi's A Profile And Another Cat That I Could Not See Very Well And 1 Velocity 1 Outer Limits 1 Sonic And My Scarab. Not Bad For A Lake :d
I ALMOST FORGOT ABOUT THE BLACK THUNDER THAT WAS IN POWER BOAT A FEW MONTHS BACK WAS RUNNIG THAT DAY AS WELL.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yahoo
I have a house on galveston island, where are you looking ?

The water is choclate brown and pee warm. Its amazing after labor day the island is pretty much vacant except for dickens on the strand in december and mardi gras.

Curtis
Actually, it's not on "Galveston Island" but across the water on "Goat Island". There is a ferry dock about 1/2 mile from the property. I was wondering if there is a launch ramp near there.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking Re: OSO members in Galveston Tx area.

Reed-
Goat Island is being rebuilt as a marshy-natural habit. I wouldn't consider it a place to live. You might be able to find it at this site: http://www.texmaps.com/aerials/aeria...xas-coast.html

"Goat Island Restoration Celebrated in Texas
The Port of Houston Authority (PHA) recently hosted a Goat Island restoration celebration at the Baytown Nature Center. The island, once an important recreational part of Baytown, was the victim of subsidence. The 200-acre Goat Island will be located in Crystal Bay, one quarter mile from the Nature Center.
Restoration of the island is the result of an innovative effort to use dredged materials from the Houston Galveston Navigation Channel by the Beneficial Uses Group (BUG), a coalition of local, State, and Federal government agencies formed in 1990. Members of BUG include NRCS, Port of Houston Authority, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, National Marine Fisheries Service, Texas General Land Office, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

The Port and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers are involved in a precedent setting project to create more than 4,200 acres of marshland.
Work has already begun on the restoration with the construction of containment dikes. Roughly 300,000 tons of rock were used for the dikes. Four million cubic yards of dredged material will be used to restore the island. Two pods, connected by a breakwater, will be constructed. The north pod will be 80 acres in size. The south pod will consist of 130 acres. Restoration is scheduled to be completed by the end of this year.

Goat Island will serve as a habitat for wildlife, including numerous fish and bird species. The island will act as a barrier between the channel and shoreline. It will also shelter the Burnet and Crystal Bays residential areas of Baytown from ship wakes and natural wave action, thus protecting existing wetlands (and homes) on the shores of these bays. Houston Chronicle"

There are quite a few developments in the Clear Lake, Galveston Bay, TX Gulf Coast area and maybe we can give you some "direction". What kind of property would you like to have: island? bay front? waterfront with access to the bay and Gulf? land, house, condo?
John

Last edited by Dueclaws; 10-07-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Dueclaws for the link. It appears the actual site is Bolivar peninsula. There is a commercial property there for sale. I understand there are restrictions on building there that all new construction must be on stilts. Any more information about that area?
Old 10-08-2006, 06:59 AM
Registered

Bolivar is not galveston, its a peninsula. The stilt issue is a code deal, and its city by city. I will not be able to get insurance on anything without stilts, they will insure only something like 10 ft above mean sea level.

Biggest problem with bolivar is the ferry, on weekends you can wait hours to cross. TXDOT is supposed to implementing a special lane for landowners, but it has yet to happened.

Property values are still low in boliver, Galveston has had an unprecedented boom since 911.

Curtis
Old 10-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Reed-
Curtis is correct about Bolivar ferry: can be a real pain.

Here are a couple of links for browsing:

http://www.lindawolston.com/content/..._by=countylist

http://www.lindawolston.com/content/..._by=countylist

http://www.besttexashomes.com/Nav.as...geID%3d1114051

These aren't all Bolivar or Galveston Island, but give you alternates: wide range of propeties for sale.

I'll send you an email with my email address.
John

Last edited by Dueclaws; 10-08-2006 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Registered

John,
did you get your boat running ?
Old 10-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hi Curtis-
Yes, it's been in the water since early summer. It handles great and is good in the rough stuff!
I'm still working on "small things", which weren't important before launching it. But as you know: that never ends!
John

Last edited by Dueclaws; 01-08-2007 at 03:37 PM.

Quick Reply: OSO members in Galveston Tx area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.