Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Tunnel Ram Engines (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/143481-tunnel-ram-engines.html)

racinfever 10-23-2006 03:02 PM

Tunnel Ram Engines

1 Attachment(s)
Lately there has been a lot of talk regarding tunnel ram engines. I'm surprised they haven't been used by more people. Some guys think they are a high performance engine leftover from the jet boat era.....not true. If you are able to reach your desired performance in the 6-700 h.p. range, tunnel ram engines are a great alternative to supercharging.
Even Mercury has implemented short runner, large plenum,
ram type intakes into their high performance EFI engines.
I personally have run a set of 555 cu.in. engines with dart
tunnel rams for the past 9 years. They've been reliable & performed well. They made 720 HP on 89 octane fuel pushing my 35 Fountain to an average of 97 mph. I recently had them installed in my 38 Fountain which ran a solid 92 mph. I'm looking for more pics and comments on tunnel ram engines.

Sydwayz 10-23-2006 03:50 PM

Re: Tunnel Ram Engines

ZUL's 750 N/A tunnel rams that are in "Out of Control" Cig TS/TG are probably some of the baddest engines I have EVER heard.

I think one major turn off is the need to go to scoops on the engine hatch. I'd rather have scoops for additional clearance than all the more engine parts and weight associated with superchargers.

Kelly O 10-23-2006 04:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a Procharged Tunnel Ram 540 that fits under the hatch with no scoop. The sound usually gives away what is hidden underneath.

mrhorsepower1 10-23-2006 04:44 PM

With new cylinder head technology with higher velocity intake ports it's easy to make 700-800 HP with a single 4 barrel set up. But, with a tunnel ram coupled with these new high speed airflow cylinder heads 800 horsepower + is very achievable. I done quite a few of these setups and yes...a set of well set up carbs and the engines are dockable and very dependable as well.

Lucky Strike Jr 10-23-2006 04:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
ONESICKGLADIATOR's old 36 Gladiator had a pair of 800+hp Tunnel Ram Zul's. They were the most exotic sounding, non blower motor I have ever heard.

dammmagnum 10-23-2006 07:00 PM

Stan Pike's 30 foot Sutphen Inferno (Old Sport Class Boat) ran a Tunnel Ram set up on it, in the late 70s, if I remember correctly

They had problems every once on in a while getting it up on plane.

Lucky Strike -Steve, you may remember the set up better then I do?

Thank you
Jim

Buddy OO 10-23-2006 07:06 PM

Zul is the man on tunnel ram motors

tripps 10-23-2006 07:09 PM

Yeah,all the pro-stock guys run TUNNEL RAM guess who used to run pro stock???? tripps

nocigarette 10-23-2006 07:22 PM

ant time you can get the fuel a liitle higher up it helps with the adomazation, i dont know if i spelled that right.............anyway,,,,,,,,,tunnel rams are great it is just that blowers have come so far in tech it is just easier to supercharge something than tune a wicked tunnel ram set up.........a blower motor is a lot easier to tune than a na motor in my opinion...............

Phantom1 10-23-2006 07:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My 540, built by Blue Thunder.

tomcat 10-23-2006 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey, why not tunnel ram, EFI and blowers all at once? :evilb:

Seriously though, tunnel rams rule on any V-8. Height and cost are the only reasons not to use them. Take a peek at the latest sheet metal intakes for carbs if your local drag racing engine builder will let you. Some crazy stuff going on in those plenums.

Hi Dean!

dennis r 10-23-2006 08:04 PM

Kelly o that is a nice engine what tunnel ram are you using and is it a m3 or m4 pro-charger om looking to do that combo this winter on my htm it has a 598 in it right now

JCPERF 10-23-2006 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by tomcat
Hey, why not tunnel ram, EFI and blowers all at once? :evilb:

Seriously though, tunnel rams rule on any V-8. Height and cost are the only reasons not to use them. Take a peek at the latest sheet metal intakes for carbs if your local drag racing engine builder will let you. Some crazy stuff going on in those plenums.

Hi Dean!

Like this HEMI :cool:

KAAMA 10-23-2006 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
GLENNS just had Wesseldyk build him a pair of 565cid engines with hyraulic roller cams, 315cc AFR CNC ported heads, 9.3 comp ratio and 34* of timing. and tunnel rams that so far on WESCO's dyno have made 700hp on the nose @5400rpm.

open87 10-23-2006 09:26 PM

like that serpentine set up

racinfever 10-23-2006 10:27 PM

Thanks guys for all the pics and comments - they have been great. I would like to hear some more on performance characteristics. Thanks in advance! :cool:

Strip Poker 388 10-24-2006 12:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's some Zul motors. Ck out the fuel injection he made .He"s been playing around with some different fuel injection stuff, he also has one with the throttle body's ,Electronic fuel injection made around 848 on pump gas. :drink:

BY U BOY 10-24-2006 12:40 AM

how much low end do you lose with this set up?

Kelly O 10-24-2006 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by dennis r
Kelly o that is a nice engine what tunnel ram are you using and is it a m3 or m4 pro-charger om looking to do that combo this winter on my htm it has a 598 in it right now

It's a Holley Pro Dominator intake. M4 unit, big pulley...7psi boost. Idles and runs very well with Nickerson prepped carbs. Little rich in secondaries to be safe. 900-950hp.

mrhorsepower1 10-24-2006 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by tripps
Yeah,all the pro-stock guys run TUNNEL RAM guess who used to run pro stock???? tripps

gee.......that would be me! :rolleyes: Working on getting another IHRA mountain motor car assembled right now. 830 cu.in. tunnelram of course! Oh yeah Richie ran Pro Stock around the time my father did. :cool:

tomcat 10-24-2006 09:47 AM

Hey Rob, many boat guys are using the Dart cast tunnel ram, but check out the long runners on that sheet metal intake. Do you know any more about that engine?

wannabe 10-24-2006 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by nocigarette
ant time you can get the fuel a liitle higher up it helps with the adomazation, i dont know if i spelled that right.............anyway,,,,,,,,,tunnel rams are great it is just that blowers have come so far in tech it is just easier to supercharge something than tune a wicked tunnel ram set up.........a blower motor is a lot easier to tune than a na motor in my opinion...............

Let me splain it for you:

It's "atomization" where the fuel droplets are made small enough by flow turbulence so they burn properly.

Tunnel rams really work well from 4000 rpm's and above (like 7000). Since most of the Marine engines top out at around 5800 or so they are not always the best choice.

Wannabe

dammmagnum 10-24-2006 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by wannabe
Let me splain it for you:

It's "atomization" where the fuel droplets are made small enough by flow turbulence so they burn properly.

Tunnel rams really work well from 4000 rpm's and above (like 7000). Since most of the Marine engines top out at around 5800 or so they are not always the best choice.

Wannabe

I think that is why Stan Pike and Inferno had problems getting up on plane sometimes. We seem to know alot more about the technology now then they did when Stan was running the set up, back in the later 70s.

Thank you
Jim

thisistank 10-24-2006 12:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My favorite.....

Strip Poker 388 10-24-2006 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by tomcat
Hey Rob, many boat guys are using the Dart cast tunnel ram, but check out the long runners on that sheet metal intake. Do you know any more about that engine?

Richie said he was just playing around with fuel injection seeing what he could do with diff set ups,A test muel. Last year when we were at PRI he ordered some throtal bodys for it then he sold the efi system off it.I think the motor was a 598,dart P1 cnc,solid roller .JC may know more?

Rob :drink:

wannabe 10-24-2006 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
With new cylinder head technology with higher velocity intake ports it's easy to make 700-800 HP with a single 4 barrel set up. But, with a tunnel ram coupled with these new high speed airflow cylinder heads 800 horsepower + is very achievable. I done quite a few of these setups and yes...a set of well set up carbs and the engines are dockable and very dependable as well.

What would you say if I could give you NA engines that put out 800 hp on pump gas, idle at 600 rpm, have an "economy" mode for cruising that saved you 7-10% on fuel, cost no more than a good 800 hp engine does (say 18-20k) would this interest you Mrhorsepower? Or anyone else?

Wannabe

mrhorsepower1 10-24-2006 04:46 PM

What would you say if I could give you NA engines that put out 800 hp on pump gas, idle at 600 rpm, have an "economy" mode for cruising that saved you 7-10% on fuel, cost no more than a good 800 hp engine does (say 18-20k) would this interest you Mrhorsepower? Or anyone else?

Wannabe

Wouldn't interest me at all. I build engines of my own that already have those features.

mrhorsepower1 10-24-2006 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Catmando
There's a drag boat(Loose Cannon I believe) that has an 813ci Ford "Mountain Motor" built by someone in Georgia. Hot boat mag ran an article on drag boats with this boat and motor mentioned. Do you know the engine builder?

most likely John Kaase. He was originally from Westlake , Ohio . My father used to do machine work for John when he was a kid.

Buddy OO 10-24-2006 08:14 PM

Wannabe, what are the specs on your 18k motor, cubic inch, pistons, headers,carb, etc. how many have you built and what boats are they currently in?

2112 10-24-2006 11:02 PM

Wannabe

I already have these;

8.9 to 1 compression
one carb
875 horses at 6250 rpm

Fords:D

wannabe 10-25-2006 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by 2112
I already have these;

8.9 to 1 compression
one carb
875 horses at 6250 rpm

Fords:D

Carb=Old technology

These engines will have the latest EFI.

Wiggler- engines are in development, going out to SEMA to do some market intelligence next week.

Mrhorsepower- I know you build your own engines, was just testing the waters.

Wannabe

mrhorsepower1 10-25-2006 08:29 AM

Carb=Old technology

Wiggler- engines are in development, going out to SEMA to do some market intelligence next week.

Wannabe

Wannabe,
What is the name of your company/shop? Or do you work for Sterling? Seen your from Milford,Mi.

mrhorsepower1 10-25-2006 08:34 AM

Carb=Old technology

Wannabe

Carbs may be "old" technology but if they where such CaveMan technology Prostock wouldn't making the type of power they do. I wouldn't knock carbs. I can make the same power with a carb than EFI for alot less money. We also currently hold the IHRA World's fastest single 4 barrel record out of my shop @ 6.70 @ 207 with a powerglide trans. NO power adder( NOS , blower ect.) all engine. I do agree EFI is nice and I am doing more and more of it but carbs can still make some AWESOME Horsepower. PM Wannabe with some details on your EFI system.

wannabe 10-25-2006 12:20 PM

Carbs may be "old" technology but if they where such CaveMan technology Prostock wouldn't making the type of power they do. I wouldn't knock carbs. I can make the same power with a carb than EFI for alot less money. We also currently hold the IHRA World's fastest single 4 barrel record out of my shop @ 6.70 @ 207 with a powerglide trans. NO power adder( NOS , blower ect.) all engine. I do agree EFI is nice and I am doing more and more of it but carbs can still make some AWESOME Horsepower. PM Wannabe with some details on your EFI system.

I am not "knocking" carbs, it's just that there is so much more you can do with EFI, knock sensors, etc. in terms of true efficiency of an engine. All without touching a thingwhile running.

Wannabe

vtec 10-25-2006 01:16 PM

With EFI you have to amortize the expense of development over many units of the same design, i.e. cubic inch, heads, cam, rpm, compression ratio, etc. for it to make economic sense.

Then, there is the per unit expense of computer, sensors, throttle body, etc.

Although you may save fuel (in the future), with EFI you have to pay upfront (now)- so the savings are diminished by the time value of money (TVM).

Then there are difficulties diagnosing problems with an EFI engine (for the guy without the laptop and associated hardware/software). And, more sensors and electronics to fail. When the crank sensor fails........you have to be towed. Although the carb runs slightly sub-optimized it may be more reliable.

Pistons are old technology, V8's are old technology, heads with only 2 valves are old technology. Yes fuel injection is ultimately better from a horsepower, fuel efficiency, idle perspective- but- often carbs serve the purpose just fine.....at a reasonable price.

Now back to tunnel rams with carbs/efi.

mrhorsepower1 10-25-2006 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by vtec
With EFI you have to amortize the expense of development over many units of the same design, i.e. cubic inch, heads, cam, rpm, compression ration, etc. for it to make economic sense.

Then, there is the per unit expense of computer, sensors, throttle body, etc.

Although you may save fuel (in the future), with EFI you have to pay upfront (now)- so the savings are diminished by the time value of money (TVM).

Then there are difficulties diagnosing problems with an EFI engine (for the guy without the laptop and associated hardware/software). And, more sensors and electronics to fail. When the crank sensor fails........you have to be towed. Although the carb runs slightly sub-optimized it may be more reliable.

Pistons are old technology, V8's are old technology, heads with only 2 valves are old technology. Yes fuel injection is ultimately better from a horsepower, fuel efficiency, idle perspective- but- often carbs serve the purpose just fine.....at a reasonable price.

Now back to tunnel rams with carbs/efi.

well placed. :D

jdnca1 10-27-2006 03:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's Wette Vette's 598....picked up 4 mph by going from Single plane 1250 Dominator to Tunnel ram and 2X1050 Dominators over the winter in single engine cat.... :drink: How's that for a real world comparison... :D oh yeah, and the boat accelerates harder just about everywhere (except maybe planing off) :D :D

Strip Poker 388 10-27-2006 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by jdnca1
Here's Wette Vette's 598....picked up 4 mph by going from Single plane 1250 Dominator to Tunnel ram and 2X1050 Dominators over the winter with no other changes in single engine cat.... :drink: How's that for a real world comparison... :D oh yeah, and the boat accelerates harder just about everywhere (except maybe planing off) :D :D

sounds like it needed more air :drink:

Wouldnt if the motor had a lot of blowby the evac going to the aircleaner cause detination with the oil getting in the intake charge?

mrhorsepower1 10-27-2006 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
sounds like it needed more air :drink:

Wouldnt if the motor had a lot of blowby the evac going to the aircleaner cause detination with the oil getting in the intake charge?

I've run that system alot and it works well....The key is build one that is sealed!! The best evacuation system I also run alot of is a vacuum pump with a pressure regulator when the customer can afford it. Usually I pull 10-15 inches of vac. on the crankcase. About 30-35 HP gain on average.

wannabe 10-27-2006 03:51 PM

Wannabe,
What is the name of your company/shop? Or do you work for Sterling? Seen your from Milford,Mi.

The shop is a well known automotive engine development shop (Detroit Area), has done engine development for Ford, GM, DCX, and Asian OEM's. Owner and I are longtime friends. He wants to branch out, has a 510 Ci BBC that puts out 600+ BHP so all the EFI and engine mapping is done. Has a proprietary intake manifold with port injection and I would say this thing is bullet-proof. He has done considerable work on turbos and other forced induction. Leading edge stuff for the automotive industry. We are going to SEMA and will look at whats out there. Will probably decide then if we will build a pair of engines for marine trials. If so we may want to exhibit with a boat Manufacturer having installed them. Or I will buy a resin bucket and put them in. :rolleyes:

Wannabe