Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat? >

Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Notices
View Poll Results: Arneson Surface Drives
Yes put them on the new boat
85.50%
No use bravos
14.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Old 10-25-2006, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Originally Posted by kvogt
Arneson.

They also work on old boats.

Kris Vogt
Kris I've seen your boat pictured on Arneson's website. How does it run now in comparison to your (I assume TRS drives), and could you give a little detail on what the project was like making the conversion? Great picture by the way.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Just look at what Hustler does with most of their new boats. Running stock power or Diesel's and arneson drives. Its a bullet proof setup!!!!!
Old 10-25-2006, 04:18 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
When the X is set at 4" above the bottom of the boat as they are on a SSM#6, they have as much trim as the Arneson.
really?... How about at 2" ....or even...or 5"?

Positive trim on any surface drive, and I am including BRAVO's when I say this, is an impossible feat. When the propellers are running at the surface, there in only one way to go and that is down as when trimmed upward they are pushing air.
With all due respect....that spin is horse feathers. I will admit that you'll never back flip an Arneson boat....... unless the added rocker bites you.... but you can carry the bow much better with an MC.

Best scenario, imitate Peter, Reggie or Fiore. Make a boats bottom that works on its own and uses the HP to go forward rather than pick the boat's nose up and waste HP which cost speed.
Agreed...now if you could only have dead level trim..... like a Mercruiser.

By the way..do you still advise boat builders to put additional rocker in their hulls when using Arnesons?...

I admit I'm no Arneson drive (or Kaama for that matter) fan...although I really admire Howard as a person..and loved his Pool Sweep concept....( I spent literally dozens of races in the air identifying Arneson drives from a distance by their clearly visible bow wander). ( I also can spot boats with drives spinning in from the same height and distance ....... but that's another story). For these reasons I have always believed that, if you can't afford 6 drives, than fixed surface drives with rudders make sense. No wander...level prop angle of attack..and no erector set on the back of the boat.

Good luck with your sales effort on this thread.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 10-25-2006 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x

With all due respect....that spin is horse feathers. I will admit that you'll never back flip an Arneson boat....... unless the added rocker bites you.... but you can carry the bow much better with an MC.

By the way..do you still advise boat builders to put additional rocker in their hulls when using Arnesons?...

I admit I'm no Arneson drive (or Kaama for that matter) fan...although I really admire Howard as a person..and loved his Pool Sweep concept....( I spent literally dozens of races in the air identifying Arneson drives from a distance by their clearly visible bow wander). ( I also can spot boats with drives spinning in from the same height and distance ....... but that's another story). For these reasons I have always believed that, if you can't afford 6 drives, than fixed surface drives with rudders make sense. No wander...level prop angle of attack..and no erector set on the back of the boat.

T2x
let me guess whats on the back of your boat... eggbeaters?
Old 10-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x

T2x
ALways been a 6 fan myself.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:30 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x

With all due respect, you need to update your memory banks.

We do not need a different bottom than what is currently being used by the Mercury drives or others. Fountain, Hustler Skater and others have proved this.

Kind of independent lavatory testing you see.

Originally Posted by T2x
Actually, they are virtually the same. And to quote one of the great ones, Gilbreath says the boats are faster with negative trim so I really don't see where you are coming from other than a negative perspective.

Originally Posted by T2x
NO.

Originally Posted by T2x
I admit I'm no Arneson drive (or Kaama for that matter) fan...although I really admire Howard as a person..and loved his Pool Sweep concept....( I spent literally dozens of races in the air identifying Arneson drives from a distance by their clearly visible bow wander).
More senseless drool. You made these same comments about the Honker Cut boat and I ran that boat and I can tell you the bow was never WANDERING... Someone needs to get some real world experience and stop being an arm chair quarterback!

Back in those days when you flew over the boats and watched, did you happen to notice who won the Championship in 83’84’? Wasn’t it like 14 races in a row they won? Oh yea, it was an Arneson boat, I mention this as your memory during the years you were supposedly in your prime you seem to have forgotten this.

Originally Posted by T2x
( I also can spot boats with drives spinning in from the same height and distance ....... but that's another story). For these reasons I have always believed that, if you can't afford 6 drives, than fixed surface drives with rudders make sense. No wander...level prop angle of attack..and no erector set on the back of the boat.
Again, logic disconnect. How is fixing an Arneson straight going to magically change your argument?

The same drive, the same trim level the same boat. Add a rudder and all things change? Please. Get some experience and get back to us. The rudder does not enable the drive to be trimmed higher than without one. A rudder might be good for a race boat but I can tell you for a fact (EXPERIENCE) that they are not for a pleasure boater.

Originally Posted by T2x

T2x
Thanks but if your biases hurt your feelings than that is an issue I take no issue with. I did not start this thread, just informing people the truth when ignorance is spread like in the post you have made.

Change is inevitable. There was a time when some boats were less suited for an Arneson Surface Drive as I pointed out. But then again someone posted positive results on of all things an OLD CIGARETTE.

If you haven’t noticed, it’s 2006’ soon to be 2007’. A 35’ Fountain with 525’s runs 103 and Arneson Surface Drives do work.

Seems that everyone that has them agrees. Should you want to change to the dark side we will make room for you.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:01 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Rik,
Give it up.
Good to see you in Vegas. Call me.
pat W
Old 10-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shifter
Rik,
Give it up.
Good to see you in Vegas. Call me.
pat W
I know, it is a waste of finger energy to comment but some times you have to call a spade a spade.

You coming to IBEX?
Old 10-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
Actually, your in-line 8's are 6" shorter than a SSM#6 and 50% less weight.

I meant to say shorter by 2 1/2" vs the #6 boat which was given to me over the phone, just shows they never mearsured it. I'll gladly take your 6" shorter mearsurement, see ya at the Miami show. Thanks Jeff.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kvogt
Arneson.

They also work on old boats.

Kris Vogt
Did you ever drive that Cig with the TRS's? If so what is the difference?

Quick Reply: Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.