34' Hustler Cheetah vs 33' Active Thunder >

34' Hustler Cheetah vs 33' Active Thunder

Notices

34' Hustler Cheetah vs 33' Active Thunder

Old 11-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 34' Hustler Cheetah vs 33' Active Thunder

388 Slingshot gets squirly as you say above 90 because it was never intended to do more. It was designed as a very efficient bottom which would make most of stock engines with relatively limited power. It was designed to run 80-90 mph with stock power and full pleasure cabin. And it does that very well and safely.

If you don't take the right tool for the job, chances are it will not perform very well. And a 388 which started life with stock power is probably not the right tool for 100+. They can be made to run well at 100+ but those boats have been set up for that by the manufacturer and build with that capacity in mind, such as the few ASD boats that have been built.

It's like taking a rally car with really short gearing to the track and complaining that you're not getting very good top speed out of it...
Old 11-18-2006, 10:14 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blaniac
Congrats, and from what I see of your boat, it is gonna' be absolutely stunning. Me being on the West Coast makes this whole process not so easy for either Pat or myself. We will see what happens and I am keeping my eye on a few slightly used 37's in the interim.
Thanks for the compliments. My wife and i are very excited and are hoping for a quick winter.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the lines of the hustler but I would probably have to go with the Active Thunder. Heard a lot of great things about this boat. Nice looking rig. Remedy kicks a$$
Old 11-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when will a 43' At be finished?
Old 11-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by customryder
when will a 43' At be finished?

Midlle of 07...
Old 11-18-2006, 11:43 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveP
AT have more cracks that a crack addict.

Hustler builds a better boat. I have seen alot of 38 Slingshots that have been ridden hard and have never seen any stress cracks.

I have seen AT facility as well. Hustler is the better boat.
Where is your information based? Facts please.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Blane,

Pat got a last minute call with availability for a slip IN the Miami boat show. That's where he was when you were at the factory; I know, as I was there in the booth too. Correct me if I am wrong, but an AT OWNER met you at the factory, and showed you everything you wanted to see. Given that, you also had the opportunity to RIDE in an AT if you so chose, but did not take up that offer by visiting Pat at the MBS, AND he was at the marina that you could enter free of charge. It seems like you are closer to making a decision to move up this year, when last year your quote was similar to "I just invested a bunch of money in the motors of my current boat, and not really serious about a new boat, maybe next season," when you were in Florida investigating AT. I think you can understand the business that it made more sense for Pat to be at the MBS SELLING boats that day.

I will admit that I have not ridden in the 34 Hustler, but I have been out in a couple 38 Hustlers, and I know the 33 and 37 ATs intimately. The Hustler is a GREAT boat, but the cabins feel very low, compartmented, and small compared to either the 33 or the 37 AT. The Hustler is a great boat that is very fast, but they definitely prefer to go fast in smoother water (less than 3 footers), as opposed to the AT which excels in rougher water (more than 3 footers), BUT runs VERY well on smooth water as well.

I understand you will do a majority of your boating on Havasu. I have been on Havasu with 5-6 footers, (yes, no CHIT 5-6 footers from extreme wind at the 1998 IJSBA World Finals). However, the majority of Havasu boating is flatter water as in less than 3 footers. Perhaps the Hustler is the better boat for you then, but that's up to YOU to decide; no one else, and I hardly think this thread on OSO is going to be of much help either. There has already been a lot of stone casting, and someone opened up the door and took a big fat steaming dump, and left too.

AT has turned a new corner this year and brought on more talent with Jay Ross and Frank Marchone. Sales are through the roof, and build slots are filling up fast. I am not sure what AT has planned for the 2007 MBS, but rest assured you will be welcome to experience anything and everything that AT has to offer at that time. The 33 that has been built for the PowerBoat magazine review will be making some PR rounds next year, if it does not get sold in the mean time. There will be at least 2-33s, and several 37s in South Florida come February, so I am sure you will get the opportunity to spend some time in/on some/all of them.

In the mean time, I invite you to take a look at this video of a 37, which is the big brother of the 33AVH, on Havasu, your home waters:

http://media.putfile.com/MONSOON2

Also, I can be an avenue to get you into an AT. I communicate with Pat regularly, and helped Docmanrich37, ACTIVESHACK, and crb76 get into their ATs.

Are you looking to trade your current boat? Are you looking to sell it first? (Maybe you should do that now?) What are you looking for in a 33? Options? Motors? Paint? Do you have a trailer manufacturer picked out? Active Thunder is a boat BUILDER. Not a boat DEALER, which is designed to help sell boats (its their job to persuade you so buy their rep'd boat). This is an advantage to you as such that you have direct contact into how and what you want done to your boat; and don't have to pay a dealer for their time, floorplan, and logistics. You just need to make the commitment that you want an AT. Ask ACTIVESHACK how his purchase/build is progressing. You can hear him smiling over the phone.

Brian Tillett

Last edited by Sydwayz; 11-18-2006 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,074 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by blaniac
I have heard similar on the older hulls, maybe pre 2003 or so. Sound about right ??
1998 780 HP Motors 90 was 4200 but it was a bit squirly, but that wasnt WOT.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:11 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Another thought Blane...

Schweeng aka Chris Prouty would be a great person to gather an opinion from. He owned a 388 Huslter in SoCal, and has spend considerable time on my 37AT before I owned it.

I realize both boats are bigger than you are looking, BUT they are both big brothers to the siblings you are looking into. I am sure he can give you a well spread opinion.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
Drive both and then make your own decision. Take a look at the new hardware vs the older models. A.T. has picked it up a notch. Hustler has always done a nice job but hasn't really retooled anything. good Luck Jeff
Best advice on this thread yet - drive both and make your choice.

Quick Reply: 34' Hustler Cheetah vs 33' Active Thunder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.