Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Finding High Octane Fuel or Additive?? >

Finding High Octane Fuel or Additive??

Notices

Finding High Octane Fuel or Additive??

Old 11-19-2006, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Finding High Octane Fuel or Additive??

Originally Posted by jlmtx83
is there a Sunoco around? if not have you tried mixing Jet A or ordering VP Racing fuels? This is what i had to do for my race jetskis and my solution for the boats/sc'ed skis

Hope you mean 100LL not jet a or you're mixing gas for a turbine.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best way is to find toluene. It has been used as an octane booster for many years. It was used in fighter planes during WW2. There are charts all over the internet on expected octane vs mix ratios. The only problem with it is that you have to find a supplier who is willing to sell it to you in bulk. It is way too expensive by the gallon can. The mix ratios go to about 30% if I remember correctly but it really does increase octane by a significant amount. It is as close as you can get to racing fuel. Some of the octane boosters available actually work, but most are crap. When it comes to a high dollar, super heavily loaded boat engine, I would be very careful about what fuel I'm running if there was even a slight concern about detonation. 100LL would be my second choice, but I have heard of some lead fouling problems in automotive applications. I would think that it should fare well in a boat. In any case, I don't know what you're doing with your boat, but if it's strictly recreational, turn down the boost and run gas from the station (except for the occasional shot of race gas and thrill of course).

Rene
Old 11-19-2006, 09:51 PM
Registered

I live in the same town as Torco if you need some help getting the fuel.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fountain38SC
Hope you mean 100LL not jet a or you're mixing gas for a turbine.
oops just noticed my mistake, VP MS109 race fuel (Jet X).
Old 11-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Registered

Where in Jersey are you? There are enough of us on the board that we could steer you to all the high octane gas docks in the state.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tgersx
i dont know about anyone else but in NJ its getting harder and harder to search for high octane fuel, its like im on a search for fuel, its starting not to be fun. Does anyone have a reliable additive that you have used supercharged motors and now have to worry about popping one, that works i need to have at least 92 octance and i usually can find 89, it makes we want to get a pair of 525's, but i dont wanna scrafice the sound or speed.
thanks for the help
tom
I get 93 octane right at our marina here in NJ, it's the only one that sells 93 that I know of up here!

Where are you?
Old 11-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Registered

When Chuck and Billy get cruisers I guess we'll have to trailer to the pump! Hey wait I do trailer my boat and I don't need all that octane anyway!
Old 11-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have also had real good luck using the 5 gallon Torco leaded additive,plugs look great .

When added to 190 gallons or so of 93 octane , it makes a batch of approx 99 octane fuel per the above ratio.

But be very care-full , when splashed it will instantly stain your gel coat and upholstery , it's extremely toxic liquid you should wear a mask and you definitely need to use gloves and a monster size funnel.

This season we pulled some boost out of our rigs to avoid the above hassle, if we couldn't get 93 at our Marina we would still be using it , it works!

I was always told that If the octane additive can be packaged in a plastic container your wasting your $ it's junk!
Old 11-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Registered

im out of sweetwater nj, i know where i can get high octane around me, cheastnut neck and trump marina, but i make trips down to the cheaspeke and on the way down its hard to find high octane, red eyes even did away with high octane which i cant believe and when i go on a long trip like that i need to beable to find it.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:22 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oldandtired
The best way is to find toluene. It has been used as an octane booster for many years. It was used in fighter planes during WW2. There are charts all over the internet on expected octane vs mix ratios. The only problem with it is that you have to find a supplier who is willing to sell it to you in bulk. It is way too expensive by the gallon can. The mix ratios go to about 30% if I remember correctly but it really does increase octane by a significant amount. It is as close as you can get to racing fuel. Some of the octane boosters available actually work, but most are crap. When it comes to a high dollar, super heavily loaded boat engine, I would be very careful about what fuel I'm running if there was even a slight concern about detonation. 100LL would be my second choice, but I have heard of some lead fouling problems in automotive applications. I would think that it should fare well in a boat. In any case, I don't know what you're doing with your boat, but if it's strictly recreational, turn down the boost and run gas from the station (except for the occasional shot of race gas and thrill of course).

Rene
Were can ya buy toluene ?Is there different grades.What ratio would ya mix it?

Anybody know

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Quick Reply: Finding High Octane Fuel or Additive??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.