Like Tree0Likes

Chris Cats

Reply
Old 11-21-2006, 09:36 AM
  #11
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Troy, Mich
My Boats: 1984 Chris Cat
Posts: 2,707
Default Re: Chris Cats

T2X- The Shadow and Chris Cat's were so far ahead of their time these boats are not "obsolete" 20 years later. Truly great designs stand the test of time and you and George Linder did just that with these hulls.

Wannabe
wannabe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:43 AM
  #12
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default Re: Chris Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe
T2X- The Shadow and Chris Cat's were so far ahead of their time these boats are not "obsolete" 20 years later. Truly great designs stand the test of time and you and George Linder did just that with these hulls.

Wannabe
While we certainly appreciate the thought and kind words, I'm becoming more and more convinced that marine design has stagnated somewhat since the mid 80's. In retrospect there was so much development from 1960 to 1985...that the subsequent years may have been spent simply trying to catch up and perfect all of those concepts. Please look below at one of the best race hulls from 1958 compared to an "envelope pusher" in 1986 and you'll see what I mean.

I know I sometimes rant about old wine in new bottles, but I was there when the grapes were originally squeezed.

T2x
Attached Thumbnails
Chris Cats-barracuda.jpg   Chris Cats-my-pictures-219.jpg  
T2x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:21 PM
  #13
Registered
 
dreamboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Southern Maryland
My Boats: 2000 28 Skater
Posts: 1,234
Default Re: Chris Cats

Awesome history. These boats are still stout in rough water conditions compared to another boat of equal length. I have been 132 in a 31 Awesome, hard to believe for 1980's technology!!
dreamboater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:15 PM
  #14
Registered
 
copiercat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: nokomis florida
My Boats: 22 Talon 300 XS,97 Ocean Express 33 Super Sport/ 04 STV Euro / 30 ft Pro Line sport fishermen-21 Shadow 300 XS-24 ft Party Barge
Posts: 404
Default Re: Chris Cats

cool pic's ,love those old cats,kinda remind me of the lines of my ocean express
copiercat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:17 PM
  #15
Registered
 
txriverrat2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Channelview, Texas
My Boats: 1993 Cruisers Inc Twin Diesel, 23' CC 225 Optimax
Posts: 911
Default Re: Chris Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast fun 2
I have pics somewhere of the old King Sting shadow

WAS the fastest in the country at 120 mph thats stock speeds today. lol
I'd love to see those pics!! My neighbor who bought the Whipple boat used to own it.....

Capt Ross
txriverrat2001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:18 PM
  #16
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
mikiedreb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 39
Default Re: Chris Cats

Rich....

Do you have any history on the Shadow Cat previously owned by Fred Gellert......SF Bay area guy....twin Chevy small blocks & ssm's? It was maintained by PSA Marine back in the day ..mid 80's. I know Paul Abreu throttled it during a POPBRA race at Lake Mead after Fred hurt his back. It was called "Catapult".....
mikiedreb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:21 PM
  #17
Driver-441
Racer
 
TeamSaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lake George
My Boats: 32 Cobra Raceboat, 27 Avanti Raceboat 27 Kryptonite Raceboat
Posts: 11,348
Default Re: Chris Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by txriverrat2001
I'd love to see those pics!! My neighbor who bought the Whipple boat used to own it.....

Capt Ross
The Whipple Boat?
TeamSaris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:39 PM
  #18
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default Re: Chris Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikiedreb
Rich....

Do you have any history on the Shadow Cat previously owned by Fred Gellert......SF Bay area guy....twin Chevy small blocks & ssm's? It was maintained by PSA Marine back in the day ..mid 80's. I know Paul Abreu throttled it during a POPBRA race at Lake Mead after Fred hurt his back. It was called "Catapult".....
Yes Fred is an old friend... and a perfectionist. We actually spent more time on his trailer specs (custom built, galvanized ) than we did on the average boat design....
He had owned two 21' Challengers prior to buying the Shadow Cat..... a single and a twin. His most interesting boat is none of the above, however. He currently owns a one of a kind, 28' classic "woodie" with a Hacker Craft style topside....from the waterline up. Underneath is a sophisticated original Linder designed vee hull with a big block and stern drive combo. It is now the fastest, best handling, single engine monohull on Lake Mead....and leaves a lot of go fast guys scratching their heads in its wake

T2x
T2x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:25 PM
  #19
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: st. louis,mo.
Posts: 1,647
Default Re: Chris Cats

The awesome's are state of the art, how do they differ from the shadow and chris cat. know the owner of the awesomes, which hull is the best. is the 31 a fast hull. he has redesigned the decks and interiors but said the bottoms were good to go.
Buddy OO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:42 PM
  #20
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
glassdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: toledo oh
My Boats: Batboat, 38 Scarab Thunder, 16 Sidewinder, 27 Magnum
Posts: 12,667
Default Re: Chris Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2x
Yes Fred is an old friend... and a perfectionist. We actually spent more time on his trailer specs (custom built, galvanized ) than we did on the average boat design....
He had owned two 21' Challengers prior to buying the Shadow Cat..... a single and a twin. His most interesting boat is none of the above, however. He currently owns a one of a kind, 28' classic "woodie" with a Hacker Craft style topside....from the waterline up. Underneath is a sophisticated original Linder designed vee hull with a big block and stern drive combo. It is now the fastest, best handling, single engine monohull on Lake Mead....and leaves a lot of go fast guys scratching their heads in its wake

T2x
any chance on finding pics of that woodie, sounds pretty interesting. great thread guys i always like learning a thing or two about the lineage of some of todays boats
__________________
Throttles- Cleveland Construction 377 Talon
08 OPA Class 1 National Champion
08 Class 1 Geico Triple Crown Champion
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
glassdave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Andy
Chris Craft
29
11-06-2007 05:53 PM
Top Banana
Chris Craft
1
09-17-2006 08:30 PM
Whirlygig
General Boating Discussion
79
02-20-2004 02:55 PM
CIG3
General Boating Discussion
27
12-23-2003 06:04 AM
FWK
Advantage
3
01-27-2002 11:46 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.