Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ethanol (E-10) over the winter..Tanks ful or empty?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/145646-ethanol-e-10-over-winter-tanks-ful-empty.html)

JERSEY DEVIL 11-22-2006 07:16 AM

Re: Ethanol (E-10) over the winter..Tanks ful or empty??

exactly what i did and it will also not eat thru the fiberglass tank. best of luck to you

Knot 4 Me 11-22-2006 07:30 AM

Living in the midwest, we've had nothing but E-10 available to us for many years. I've done it both ways and from experience I can tell you it doesn't matter. Whether I've filled up or left it with around an 1/8 to 1/4 tank, the boat has always run fine the following spring. Just make sure to treat whatever gas you do leave in the tank with Sta-Bil. I'm to the point where I now leave about 3/4 tank of fuel in the boat when I put it away in the fall. This is so when we get the occasional 60 degree day in Nov. - Feb. I can break the boat out for a winter cruise and not have to worry about getting fuel.

berns29scarab 11-22-2006 07:35 AM

above and beyond the ethanol issue, to me its more about the octane points lost during storage. when i store i'll put between 1/4 and 1/2 tank of super with stabil and marvel mystery oil, then in spring i'll treat with an octane booster as well as more super...my 502 mpis only need regular

berns29scarab 11-22-2006 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by JERSEY DEVIL
exactly what i did and it will also not eat thru the fiberglass tank. best of luck to you

where can we get aviation fuel around here i like that idea as well

MacGyver 11-22-2006 07:44 AM

I'm lucky here in Appleton, Wisconsin. Many of the local gas stations have ethanol free fuel. I add some Sta-Bil and top off the tank.

Smitty 11-22-2006 07:54 AM

Store as empty as you reasonably can. Add Pri-G to remaining fuel. Fill tank with fresh fuel in spring.

Ethanol fuels start to separate after 30 days. In an aluminum boat tank, it attracts moisture which then corrodes the inside of the tank creating aluminum scale. If the fuel filter doen't catch it, it will clog injectors.

Shanghied Again 11-22-2006 08:17 AM

Store boat as empty as possible, we are starting to see the effects of the E10 mixture from folks that haven't used there boats, they do make a gasoline restore that works great its made by Starbright, my sons car wasn't running right he ddn't use the car for about 2 months and she wouldn't rstay running I added the additve in and she straightened the car out in 2 days.

Ted G 11-22-2006 08:40 AM

Okay, looks like empty it is, let's put on some jackets this weekend and head for the Narrows for lunch :D :drink:

hunster 11-22-2006 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
above and beyond the ethanol issue, to me its more about the octane points lost during storage. when i store i'll put between 1/4 and 1/2 tank of super with stabil and marvel mystery oil, then in spring i'll treat with an octane booster as well as more super...my 502 mpis only need regular

Too much octane is not a good thing! If you get really bored I'll give you a guys number and he'll give you a nice like 2 hour dissertation on octane. Run the regular. If it don't knock your good to go!

berns29scarab 11-22-2006 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by hunster
Too much octane is not a good thing! If you get really bored I'll give you a guys number and he'll give you a nice like 2 hour dissertation on octane. Run the regular. If it don't knock your good to go!

i run regular but just store it with super and then give it another shot of super in the spring to rejuvinate