Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ethanol (E-10) over the winter..Tanks ful or empty?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/145646-ethanol-e-10-over-winter-tanks-ful-empty.html)

SLOWOUTBOARD 11-22-2006 09:49 AM

Re: Ethanol (E-10) over the winter..Tanks ful or empty??

empty is better but moisture can form because of all the open space.full prevents moisture buildup but the more ethanol then attracts moisture. :D I USED STAR-TRON THAT HELPS KEEP THE ETHANOL BONDED TO THE FUEL THEN STABIL. dammed if you do dammed if you don't.

OldSchool 11-22-2006 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by insptech
Okay, looks like empty it is, let's put on some jackets this weekend and head for the Narrows for lunch :D :drink:

Saturday looks like it will be in the 60's....Good enough for me!! :cool: :cool:

offshoredrillin 11-22-2006 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by OldSchool
Saturday looks like it will be in the 60's....Good enough for me!! :cool: :cool:

I might be up for that as well, I havent winterized yet:D

Spicy 11-22-2006 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by insptech
Okay, looks like empty it is, let's put on some jackets this weekend and head for the Narrows for lunch :D :drink:

I agree...... Take delivery Friday morning.... :evilb: :D :evilb: :D

Shanghied Again 11-22-2006 10:22 AM

Super has nothing to do with water separation from E10.. The biggest problem is E10 is made from corn that is water based. Once they refine the E10 out of the corn. In the 80s if you don't remember they came out with Gasahal made of Corn. Almost like E10 but had more of a corn mixture, they stopped making this because of water issues in autos. they latest news they wanted to make E20 the problem being that most of your Warranties will not cover issues created by E10 or E20 and E20 most of your Marine Engines can't use. Gasoline mixtures are great in warm areas were your boats are used all the time but when you have to lay up this were the problem comes in. whether your tank is full or empty the E10 will separate it is not a Petroleum product and I would rather have an empty tank and deal with cold moisture then a full tank and deal with more separation. 10 gallons of fuel with 10% E10 will have a 1% separation 100 Gallons of fuel the same amount so you are looking at 10 Gallons of water separating. when water separates from its condensed form she will also create corrosives that will work wonders on your tank.. empty with treatment is the way to go. If you have gasoline make sure you put in enough treatment to compensate .

Micker 31 11-22-2006 11:32 AM

[/B]E-10 is the DEVIL :evilb: . [B]I have been f***ing with it all year. I bought my boat in Tampa this summer, filled the tanks up when I got here, put the boat in the water and it ran for about 10 min. then it died. I could see water in the squirters of the carbs. I removed about 5 gallons of water from my starbord tank and 2 gal from port. I think that the biggest problem with this fuel is if you mix old with new. This isn't the only boat that I have had this same problem with. They call me water boy :fish: :frog: Let me know if anyone has any suggestions on the mix of the fuels.

JERSEY DEVIL 11-22-2006 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
where can we get aviation fuel around here i like that idea as well

air port in lakewood you can bring the boat or some cans bruce hey pub tonite bruce

JERSEY DEVIL 11-22-2006 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by hunster
Too much octane is not a good thing! If you get really bored I'll give you a guys number and he'll give you a nice like 2 hour dissertation on octane. Run the regular. If it don't knock your good to go!

not really to worried about the water issue it is the fact that the ethanol will and has eaten wright thru the fiberglass tanks in boats and thru the bottom of the boat when stored. it breakes down the resin so be careful.

Indy 11-22-2006 12:47 PM

What's the big deal here? It's common knowledge that today's gas is crap. Pump the tanks dry for the winter, use the gas in your car, get a fresh start next spring. There will be no condensaton since the tanks are the same temperature as the air. Condensation happens when warm moist air comes in contact with a cool surface.

JERSEY DEVIL 11-22-2006 12:51 PM

what he said !!