Like Tree0Likes

Mayfair add-on steering???

Old 11-24-2006, 10:11 PM

My Boats: 1998 Sonic 26 Prowler 525SC (updated to a ZOOMY 600hp)
Default Re: Mayfair add-on steering???

I work with Navy boats that has full hydraulic sytems, I do like the way they feel, especially going up a winding river. Of course the speeds are nothing compared to what performance boats run, but I can still feel the difference. I have considered the full system, sorta still on the fence. I'll be pulling the engine next weekend, so I'll have to make up my mind by then.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:23 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

My Boats: 1999 Active Thunder 25' Factory 1 Race Edition

If you can possibly swing it now, go with the whole system. Especially with the engine already out of the boat, that will make installation of the full system a cakewalk.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:03 AM
Registered

My Boats: Boatless....

I purchased a Mayfair full dual Bravo set-up from Helm back from Hardin Marine in FL in the spring. Overall I would say it is an excellent quality package. Shipped promptly & complete. Jeff at Hardin was very good to deal with, and easily accessible for questions. Only component that I wasn't wild about is the overflow tank-as it is supplied with satin finish to allow for painting. I would have prefered polished finish, but that's just personal preference.

I looked at most every system on the market. It was the best band for the buck. If money is no object, buy Marine Machine.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:58 PM

It does seem that the full system is the way to go, does this completely remove all exsisting cables, & cylinder? On the Navy boats I test, there is a helm, which works with a reserve valve with separate tank. There is no pump in the system, the helm provides the pressure. Is that what the Mayfair full system is? I have looked at just buying the helm from Hardin, & I can fab my own hoses, (I have the machines at work to make hi-pressure hoses). Hey, you can always polish the tank yourself....his speed grinder, some buffing wheels, & a bit of rouge...OH, & a cooler of beer...LOL....
Old 11-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: 2017 30 Concept, 300 Verados

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick63
It does seem that the full system is the way to go, does this completely remove all exsisting cables, & cylinder? On the Navy boats I test, there is a helm, which works with a reserve valve with separate tank. There is no pump in the system, the helm provides the pressure. Is that what the Mayfair full system is? I have looked at just buying the helm from Hardin, & I can fab my own hoses, (I have the machines at work to make hi-pressure hoses). Hey, you can always polish the tank yourself....his speed grinder, some buffing wheels, & a bit of rouge...OH, & a cooler of beer...LOL....
The power steering pump on the motor supplies the pressure. I don't have an expansion tank on my system. Maybe because I have a single engine and single ram system.

You actually end up making the HP hoses yourself anyway. You have to cut the hose to length and attach the fittings. So, you can just buy the helm unit and make your own hoses. I'm no mechanic and it was easy to install the system. The hardest part for me was cutting that HP hose.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:11 PM
Registered

My Boats: Boatless....

Dave M is on the money. Power steering pump is pressurizing the system. Hi-pressure line goes into an inline filter, than too the helm. Helm has (1) line out for Left, (1)out for right, and a low pressure line that goes back to the oil cooler. From oil cool, it's back into the pump.

The HP hose is a pain in the azz to cut with the metal re-inforcement.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Registered

I too have installed a full system on a twin in my driveway. Not a bad job.
Tape the HP hose and cut it with a fine tooth hacksaw in a vise.
I installed Imco. Did it all myself including drilling and tapping the drive housings for the rear ram attachment caps which were common then. I did not run an overflow tank, it is not necessary.

Be aware also you have choices in helm displacement. Standard is almost always 80cc. Larger capacity helms move more volume, and are "faster" with fewer turns lock-to-lock.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:32 PM
Registered

My Boats: 06 Sea Ray 44

I had to replace one of my mayfair rams last year. It came factory from hustler in 97. Just the ram cost $1000. So I would say that the whole system for under a grand is a real good deal.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:56 PM

Well it sounds alot easier than I had expected. I do appreciate all the input. I'm pulling the engine this upcoming weekend, & I'll be sending my gimbal ring off to have it repaired. I'll be ordering the system then. I have to travel for a couple of weeks after that, but I'll be hot on it when I return. Then it's all about getting comfortable with the boat...That's the good thing about living on the Gulf Coast, Ole-Man Winter usually isn't too bad to us, so boating isn't out of the question....just bundle up...
Old 11-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazznick
So I would say that the whole system for under a grand is a real good deal.
that was quoted just the add-on I believe. Single ram and some hardware I'm thinking.