Rob
VIP Member
Trade Score: (6)

My Boats: Hustler 388
Default Re: Boat Cover Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum
Mine doesnt flap at all.
My issue is the cover ties down to the trailer. My trailer doesnt have a bow stop, so if Im not strapped down WAY tight the bow of the bounces independent of the trailer. Not much but alittle is all it takes. That is why I would prefer bungees to the trailer, that way it wouldnt be pulling on the cover as much.
Ive moved it back and forth to Florida, Canada, and Missouri and never had an issue other than this last trip. Its not deep and will buff out but if I had Chucks paint I wouldnt be happy.
Next long trip Im going to use bungees and go under the boat. It will be a pain in the azz to put on but that should fix my problem.
So your saying your cover fits like its shrink wrapped,just like a sticker , no slack what so ever.no air space under it, fits every curve like its molded to it.

I have a custom made cover for mine .It has all the bungee cords.it still moves/flaps just a little.You can see in some places that's hazey in the clear coat from the towing.you have to do a little polishing. I bet money they all move/flap some which will scratch the paint.Most cover are made out of Sunbrella canvas.Look at the expensive car cover. they have 2 layers.the inside is some type of flannel,like a chamois,

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:16 PM
Registered

My Boats: 39 Nortech CC

My Outerlimits did not come with a full cover so I had one made locally. I have no problems towing with it but it has snaps just below the rub rail to hold it in place.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Registered

My Boats: Stray Cat Statement Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
So your saying your cover fits like its shrink wrapped,just like a sticker , no slack what so ever.no air space under it, fits every curve like its molded to it.
Yes
Pics are on my laptop. Ill post them when I get home.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:17 PM
Lynch Mob Racing
Platinum Member

My Boats: 39' Cigarette Top Gun, Donzi 22 Classic, 36 Yellowfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388

I have a custom made cover for mine .It has all the bungee cords.it still moves/flaps just a little.You can see in some places that's hazey in the clear coat from the towing.you have to do a little polishing. I bet money they all move/flap some which will scratch the paint.Most cover are made out of Sunbrella canvas.Look at the expensive car cover. they have 2 layers.the inside is some type of flannel,like a chamois,
There are full covers that do not move a bit or scratch the boat. There is a local company that I have used several times that makes a really nice full cover. They are custom made and form fitted around every fitting and curve and they are lined under the Sunbrella exterior so that there is a soft surface against the paint. No slack and no movement in the wind is the key to the cover not scratching. It can be done, but is not cheap. If your boat sits outside year round it is a good investment though.

These covers were made by a company called Canvas Experts here in Ocean City.

This is the 38 Cig Top Gun now owned by "Lucky Strike" here on OSO.
Attached Thumbnails
Boat Cover Question?-103.jpg   Boat Cover Question?-104.jpg   Boat Cover Question?-105.jpg  

Last edited by Hot Duck; 11-25-2006 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Lynch Mob Racing
Platinum Member

This is the canopied 36 Gladiator now owned by "Purnell" here on OSO. In the last picture, the slack around the exhaust pipes (on top of engine hatch) is there because the exhaust plugs were not in.
Attached Thumbnails
Boat Cover Question?-100.jpg   Boat Cover Question?-101.jpg   Boat Cover Question?-102.jpg  

Last edited by Hot Duck; 11-25-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Registered

woew, those covers are nice. do they have a zipper on the bottom along the keel? HIMES
Old 11-25-2006, 02:16 PM
Registered

My Boats: Dreaming of a 32 AT

those arn't covers ,they are glove's.. Beautiful work!!!
Old 11-25-2006, 10:14 PM
Lynch Mob Racing
Platinum Member

Those guys do really nice work. The covers wrap around and zipper down the keel in the front to protect the boat from stone chips and other road debris. There is even a flap under the zippers to protect the paint. The sides pull down tight using straps that run under the boat from one side of the cover to the other. The back pulls down tight with straps or snaps, depending on how you want it. For the longer boats they also put a zipper in the middle of the cover so that it comes off in two pieces (more manageable).

The only downfall is that the company will not make one unless they have the actual boat there to make patterns. Even though, for example, every Top Gun of a certain year is nearly the same, they may have cleats, lights, fuel fills and other hardware in different places. They may also have different engine hatches, windscreens, etc. They make each cover for each individual boat.

For some that have indoor storage and don't travel with the boat much, this is absolute overkill. But, for a boat that stays outside year round and/or travels a lot, I think that covers like these are a good investment. I don't have one for the Apache yet because I am going to change the engine hatch when we paint it, but it will certainly have one after that.

Last edited by Hot Duck; 11-25-2006 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:30 PM
Lynch Mob Racing
Platinum Member

Here is the cover they made for the 28' Pantera that is now owned by "Griff" here on OSO. This is one of the first ones that they made that wrap the bow and the sides of the boat.

The second picture is a 39' Kryptonite that is owned by "Purnell" here on OSO. He has had Canvas Experts make several of these covers for him as well.

The best thing about full covers, other than the protection from the elements on a daily basis, is that the boat stays clean when you travel. You can clean it and cover it at home and the boat will be exactly like that when you get to where you are going, no matter the weather that you drive through to get there!
Attached Thumbnails
Boat Cover Question?-1000.jpg   Boat Cover Question?-1001.jpg  
Old 11-26-2006, 04:37 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

My Boats: .......32............. ...............Active Thunder....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Duck
Here is the cover they made for the 28' Pantera that is now owned by "Griff" here on OSO. This is one of the first ones that they made that wrap the bow and the sides of the boat.

The second picture is a 39' Kryptonite that is owned by "Purnell" here on OSO. He has had Canvas Experts make several of these covers for him as well.

The best thing about full covers, other than the protection from the elements on a daily basis, is that the boat stays clean when you travel. You can clean it and cover it at home and the boat will be exactly like that when you get to where you are going, no matter the weather that you drive through to get there!

My cover on the Pantera has about 15000 miles of trailering on it and is still in great shape. Gets a little air under it at 75mph but does not flap around at all.