Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fountain CC issues (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/145993-fountain-cc-issues.html)

animalhouse 11-27-2006 01:12 PM

Fountain CC issues

Where do I start? Bilge pumps not hard wired, boat filled up 3 feet of water in the bilge during transport to Florida. We have owned about 15 boats, and this is the first time I have ever seen the bige pump not hard wired to the batteries!!!!

Did I mention that the drain plug was out, but due to Fountains superb construction, the amount of debris and junk left in the boat from construction clogged itup solid!!!!!

Good luck getting either Fountain or Sundance Marine to call you back.............This sucks. Boat is brand new, with 4 hours on it, and all 4 batteries as well as all pumps need to be replaced. Beware if you own one, check your bildge pumps before it is too late.

BBB725 11-27-2006 01:15 PM

Re: Fountain CC issues

This will teach you not to get rid of the Outerlimits CC.

animalhouse 11-27-2006 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by BBB725
This will teach you not to get rid of the Outerlimits CC.

I am very dissapointed with the fountain experience. Every boat has issues, but it is the manner in which the dealer / factory adress the issues, and I will say that Mike Fiore was the best at that. Fountain has a lot to learn in respect to quality and custormer service from the Fiore family.

The OL CC that we had was awesome, but we do tournament fishing in New England and were looking for the bigger beam. But that OL was 10 times the boat than the fountain is.

sakoutis3 11-27-2006 01:23 PM

You sold an Outerlimits to by a Fountain? :eek: Traitor. :cool:

Panther 11-27-2006 01:23 PM

Sounds like you need a Midnight Express........ :drink:

animalhouse 11-27-2006 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by sakoutis3
You sold an Outerlimits to by a Fountain? :eek: Traitor. :cool:

Did not sell the OL to replace it with a fountain. We sold our 51 OL to John Haggin and AMF a few years ago, but have always had Center Consoles to fish. I actually sold a 36 Yellowfin to get the fountain, big mistake.......

I looked at the midnight express, it is awesome, but too slow and drinks too mutch fuel. Even witht he 4 outboards the fountain gets over 1 MPG at 60+.

Jupiter Sunsation 11-27-2006 01:27 PM

My buddy had 2 Fountain nightmares in a row. First boat had water trapped in the hull/ waterlogged. Dealer with Founatin's assistance traded it out to an early 35 Executioner in 03 and watched the boat self destruct over the next year.

Bought a new 38 TG in 04 and hasn't looked back.

animalhouse 11-27-2006 01:31 PM

We won't even get into the center stringer and how it wasn't capped off. It causes 5" of water to constantly remain in the bildge. Nice option for a $400,000.00 center console!

Panther 11-27-2006 03:14 PM

Maybe OL can make a 39 center console for ya? Wide beam, good speed!! :eureka:

Never really liked the go fasts for fishing, V is too deep and you wind up floppin back and forth all day long while you're fishing. :(

animalhouse 11-27-2006 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Panther
Maybe OL can make a 39 center console for ya? Wide beam, good speed!! :eureka:

Never really liked the go fasts for fishing, V is too deep and you wind up floppin back and forth all day long while you're fishing. :(

Alreadt thought of that, it would be a bad azz center console, but we already had OL build us a one - off center console w/ 600 sc's in it, and it was awesome, but we needed more beam.

Fountain has a good hull, it's a shame they don't take any pride in the way they construct them. All of these problems could have been avoided if somebody took their head out of their azz when they were building it!

Panther 11-27-2006 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by animalhouse
Fountain has a good hull, it's a shame they don't take any pride in the way they construct them. All of these problems could have been avoided if somebody took their head out of their azz when they were building it!

I guess that's the difference between a custom boat and a production boat.... :(

Ryan Beckley 11-27-2006 04:18 PM

Why did you get rid of the YF for a Fountain?

Sydwayz 11-27-2006 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley
Why did you get rid of the YF for a Fountain?

He thought the fish would rather ride on a Fountain.

US1 Fountain 11-27-2006 04:26 PM

I gotta say, I see your point. Just this weekend I have removed some of my cabin interior seating to gain access to areas and am somewhat disappointed to see all the wood chips from drilling the mounting holes still in between the seat panels. Appareantly holes are drilled, then panels are screwed in w/o cleaning up the mess 1st.
The lowest drain hole in the forward bulkhead in the bilge is a good 5-6" above the bottom of the boat. Have yet to figure out how they think any water will drain from inside the hull into the bilge. Good thing I don't allow water to get inside my boat. :rolleyes: I also find a bunch of building trash left in the bottom of the hull.
But everything else considered, I love the boat and considered it to be a solid built boat. Just lacking detail to rigging in my opinion.

mr_velocity 11-27-2006 05:09 PM

I'd love to see a 36 Skater center console with a pair of diesels. You can mount the fighting chair on the tunnel between the motors. :D

Hydrocruiser 11-27-2006 05:12 PM

I do like Fountains and feel the quality is actually up..but I feel your pain. All it takes is one bad one.

I must say I have been looking at the 35 & 38' Formulas. The quality is extremely good and the difference in speed seems to be present in a more solid structure and hull comfort. Not a bad trade-off.

TEAMBAJA 11-28-2006 07:02 PM

Where do I start? Bilge pumps not hard wired, boat filled up 3 feet of water in the bilge during transport to Florida. We have owned about 15 boats, and this is the first time I have ever seen the bige pump not hard wired to the batteries!!!!

Did I mention that the drain plug was out, but due to Fountains superb construction, the amount of debris and junk left in the boat from construction clogged itup solid!!!!!

Good luck getting either Fountain or Sundance Marine to call you back.............This sucks. Boat is brand new, with 4 hours on it, and all 4 batteries as well as all pumps need to be replaced. Beware if you own one, check your bildge pumps before it is too late.

Are you stuck with the boat?

FeverMike 11-28-2006 08:05 PM

I own a 2006 38TE Fountain. I have around 120 hours on it so far with out any serious issues. I had some cosmetic marks on the center top tubes and a macerator went out and my dealer Sports USA Marine in St. Petersburgh FL sent there guy out to fix it the next day. Sports USA Marine is one AWESOME dealer!

I had a 2000 29 Fever and had lots of building debri that cloged up some drain holes. I back flushed and vaccumed it out and never had another problem. When I got my 38TE I washed and flushed everything and had very minor building debri. So far the boat has been very solid and runs awesome.
I agree that Fountain needs to address the building debri problem along with some serious clean up of the wire rigging issues. My bildge pumps are wired to the batteries so I do not know why yours were not. If the batteries are on or off the bildge pumps work.

Other than that the Fountain 38TE is one serious well running rig, solid, stable, dry, fast and good on gas.

animalhouse 11-28-2006 08:09 PM

so far sundance has stepped up to the plate, no help from fountain yet. the boat will be fine, they are replacing every thing that went under water.

animalhouse 11-28-2006 08:18 PM

very impressed with the hull, need to adress the outer engines being to high, but other than these quality control issues that should have been avoided t is a nice boat.

fountainracing42 11-28-2006 08:27 PM

I have had experiences with Sundance. Sales staff A+++, service department F -. They were cocky and arrogant to me. They actually turned me away once because I didn't have an appointment for service.

FeverMike 11-28-2006 09:15 PM

very impressed with the hull, need to adress the outer engines being to high, but other than these quality control issues that should have been avoided t is a nice boat.

Question...what do you mean by the outer edges too high?

Are you talking about the gunwales? If so I like that it is a little deeper thus safer feeling for me and my guests. I am extremely comfortable in this boat and that is only one of the reasons I sold my last boat for the Fountain 38TE.

thanks!

bluellama 11-28-2006 09:43 PM

Mike, it looks like he said the X dim on the outer ENGINES is too high .....

FeverMike 11-28-2006 09:47 PM

It late, I'm tired and obviously can't read worth a F! :drink:
night! Mike

animalhouse 11-29-2006 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by bluellama
Mike, it looks like he said the X dim on the outer ENGINES is too high .....

Yeah what he said. The x-dimension is way to high, if you use any tab input past parrallel with the running surface, the outer two props get blown out and cavitate. Also wants to cavitate in a following sea. All issues that can be resolved, but annoying none the less.

Ryan Beckley 11-29-2006 09:54 AM

Why did you switch from a Yellowfin to a Fountain?

animalhouse 11-29-2006 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley
Why did you switch from a Yellowfin to a Fountain?

The Yellowfin was a great boat. but ours was older and would have cost too mutch to re-power with verados. thought we would go for a change, and try out the fountain. they agreed to build us the boat with quads, so we went for it.

The yellowfin was a bit light at high speeds, the bow flair would usually cause us to list hard in the windward direction when running at high spees, the fountain feels more stable at 72+ mph, but the Yellowfin was still a great boat, just lacked the creature comforts that we were looking for.

Dd24skater 11-29-2006 11:28 AM

"I'd love to see a 36 Skater center console with a pair of diesels. You can mount the fighting chair on the tunnel between the motors. "

I have wanted to a Skater CC for years.

Maybe one day!

Dd

Panther 11-29-2006 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dd24skater
I have wanted to a Skater CC for years.

Maybe one day!

Dd

All it takes is $$$

I know of a 41 Apache project where they're turning it into a center console!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Downtown42 11-29-2006 05:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
That's too bad. Sounds like the dealer isn't taking care of your problems. My pumps are wired direct and will come on with batteries off. Hopefully the dealer will stand up. You have a 1 yr warranty on everything. Get the bugs out and you should be good to go.

OL has occasional issues also. Here is a brand new 42 Legacy 850's and the fuel tank leaked. I can't imagine having the smell of gas thru-out the boat. Guess someone messed up when rigging. The floor had to be chop-sawed to access the fuel tank leaking problem, repaired and re-glassed. Hope they got all the debris out for the new owner because after spending 700+ the first owner dumped it. What a shame. :(

I'm guessing the bilge pumps weren't hard wired on Candy Shop. Hopefully OL replaced everything that was underwater. 3 1075's would be a hit, that's for sure. What a shame and one of my favorite boats :(

If the dealer isn't going to take care of you, call Shogren in Chicago, he would love to earn your business. :D

Panther 11-29-2006 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Downtown42
That's too bad. Sounds like the dealer isn't taking care of your problems. My pumps are wired direct and will come on with batteries off. Hopefully the dealer will stand up. You have a 1 yr warranty on everything. Get the bugs out and you should be good to go.

OL has occasional issues also. Here is a brand new 42 Legacy 850's and the fuel tank leaked. I can't imagine having the smell of gas thru-out the boat. Guess someone messed up when rigging. The floor had to be chop-sawed to access the fuel tank leaking problem, repaired and re-glassed. Hope they got all the debris out for the new owner because after spending 700+ the first owner dumped it. What a shame. :(

I'm guessing the bilge pumps weren't hard wired on Candy Shop. Hopefully OL replaced everything that was underwater. 3 1075's would be a hit, that's for sure. What a shame and one of my favorite boats :(

If the dealer isn't going to take care of you, call Shogren in Chicago, he would love to earn your business. :D

Hey, when ur down just start throwin stones at the other company! :eek: :D

FeverMike 11-29-2006 07:48 PM

Animalhouse, When I get home this weekend I will look and see what holes my Verados are mounted on and let you know. Fountain does test the boat before it leaves the factory and they really have the 38TE dialed in. I wonder why yours is mounted to high. I do not have the prop blow out problem you mentioned. I'm also just running stock Bravo 1 props that came with the boat and it runs really good with the stock props light or heavy load. Did you swap out props?
Too bad your dealer does not help out with you new boat. Sales and good pricing is one thing but service after the sale means everything.

THEJOKER 11-29-2006 08:52 PM

Fever Mikes boat is very nice. What a cadillac of a ride. I'd love to have one!

FeverMike 11-30-2006 09:06 AM

Hey! it seems like people always love to jump on the band wagon and throw stones, bricks, bombs, missles and anything you can dream up at Fountain and Reggie personally.

The Wizard 11-30-2006 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Downtown42

Classic..........

Panther 11-30-2006 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by FeverMike
Hey! it seems like people always love to jump on the band wagon and throw stones, bricks, bombs, missles and anything you can dream up at Fountain and Reggie personally.

In this particular case it's fact, not just someone rooting for the home team! :drink:

BTW, I'm only kiddin around... :p

Tantrum 11-30-2006 11:42 AM

:drink: :D :drink: :D

warbird 11-30-2006 02:53 PM

I guess that's the difference between a custom boat and a production boat.... :(

was gonna say exactly that, but you said it well...

as far as Midnights being slow; think about that for a moment. they're heavy for a reason, and that reason is seaworthiness. i challenge you to a long weekend of boating; smooth water, 4-6 footers (yeah, they do come up suddenly), rain, slosh, 4-6 footers, your woman on board, your kids on board, etc. which boat would you rather take your friends and family 100 miles offshore in? that slapped-together production fountain, or a real boat that the navy runs?

come to think of it, why don't you bring a fountain down to miami and we'll ocean-race to key west and back? we'll make it interesting, say a wager of $100,000. and no, I don't want the title to your fountain.

Panther 11-30-2006 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by warbird

as far as Midnights being slow; think about that for a moment. they're heavy for a reason, and that reason is seaworthiness. i challenge you to a long weekend of boating; smooth water, 4-6 footers (yeah, they do come up suddenly), rain, slosh, 4-6 footers, your woman on board, your kids on board, etc. which boat would you rather take your friends and family 100 miles offshore in? that slapped-together production fountain, or a real boat that the navy runs?

come to think of it, why don't you bring a fountain down to miami and we'll ocean-race to key west and back? we'll make it interesting, say a wager of $100,000. and no, I don't want the title to your fountain.

AMEN!!

This is also why some of us have Apache's and not Potato Chips but the chip owners don't understand why! :D

sakoutis3 11-30-2006 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by warbird

I'm with you I wouldn't want the title either. :cool: