Notices

Growing our hobby/sport

Old 12-04-2006, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Growing our hobby/sport

Damn I hate that I love this sport so much

I have been involved with performance boating for more than 25 years and full time for 5 years (Up until recently)

First off you can' have much more fun than running across some rough water on a hot day with your hair on fire with your offshore boat. It is truly the coolest feeling.

The people in this sport are the absolute best, and the absolute worst. I have seen both sides

My wife was an official for the APBA years ago and I saw the ugly side of racing first hand.

At one time we flew to Washington to look at, and buy a F-2 boat to race. At the last minute backed away from the purchase as we were seeing the class for F-2 eroding and the GLSCS that we were interested in, coming apart

We put on a couple of races where we were the promoters and found the best and worst shine through. The politics and money to put on an event were out of control. We decided to step back for a while

I have co produced the SOTW poker run for 7 years and have seen the best and worst in that arena as well (Mostly good)

I have sold many boat lines -Black Thunder, Chief, Nor Tech, Sunsation, ect... and seen THE WORST and THE BEST here

I have managed a marina, and have seen the best and worst
some people make you wonder how they sleep at night.

Then there are guys like Joe at Sunsation Terry at Nor Tech, and Peter Hleden at Skater make you realize there still is hope for our sport (I have had most personal association with these guys, I am sure their are other great builders out there) I have known Mike Fiore, Reggie Fountain and Randy Scisum through poker runs and a more passionate group of guys you will never find. Skip Braver has a desire to make more people identify with his product (Cigarette) and has done a great job of keeping performance boating in the lime light. Others are working hard to move ahead in our sport Mercury, Ilmor. Konrad, Sterling Livorsi, ect..

There are good Magazines and good webs sites to share our sport with

My point is that we all hear about the bad and focus on that aspect, but all facets have their good sides as well and there is much to like about this sport

Good or bad it won’t change and we should not let it tear us down we should work to keep the sport it alive and make it grow and be safer and more positive in the public eye

Now the thing that gets me is the exposure we do not have!! We have Skate board marathons on TV. We have races that can only be viewed by spectators in one rush as they go buy (Tour De France, Dakar, Drag Races ect..) For cripe sake the Kentucky Derby only last for 3 Minutes and look at the coverage they get!!!

We need TV coverage, Ads, and sponsors. More exposure for the entire sport, the fans will follow. It doesn’t matter if they can see it in front of them; we need to make it visually appealing at the docks, and a carnival atmosphere around the pits, with great TV. This would be better than a grandstand on the beach watching the boats blow by 8 times and not knowing who is in front

I have been to MIS for NASCAR racing and will never go back The walk in the pits was cool, the trailers on the main area full of stuff was fun, but the race was boring and less exciting than a boat race (In my opinion) Still the fans are incredibly loyal
The key here is EXPOSURE for poker runs, races, events, ect... NASCAR does this better than anyone

We need HYPE !! We need TV!! We need CONTINUITY!!! We nee TV!! We need to make it available to all. We need the big boys and the little guys. I remember owning my 21 Scarab watching Don Johnson at a boat race saying I will own a big boat one day!!!! It was all about the hype. We couldn’t see much but the boats blow by a couple of times as they ran many miles away and then back. Still we had an unbelievable amount of spectators on land and in the water. After the race we went to an outdoor concert with top names of the day. (Not naming them it will show how old I am) On the stage, before the concert, they did all the award presentations from the race. This was a festival atmosphere and brought in HUGE crowds

What we need is EXPOSURE and that comes through many media venues but most wildly available should be TV. We need races and poker runs on television weekly not just every once in a while

Ok I am off my soap box

My name is Marc and I am a Performance Boating Addict
Old 12-04-2006, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

S. Fla. boaters being pushed out of docks by megayachts, developers

By Joseph Mann
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted December 4 2006

Tom Thompson's 46-foot sailboat, Soon Reach, is a boat without a home.
"We've moved it to six different slips, trying to find something permanent," said Thompson, a Fort Lauderdale resident and computer programmer.

Soon Reach was pushed out of one space when a waterfront home was torn done to make way for a condominium, moved again when owners of a rented slip bought their own and left another space because it cost $600 a month.

It's now docked temporarily at a leased space on a Lighthouse Point canal.

"We may have to leave the area to find a place," Thompson said in frustration, noting that he bought a condo with waterfront space in Stuart.

Thompson's marine travail is unusual, but his basic problem -- the lack of affordable dock space -- is not. Boat owners in South Florida, one of the country's largest recreational marine centers, are running out of space as the number of boats is increasing. The problem is particularly serious for people with small and midsize vessels, up to 45 to 50 feet, which account for most of the more than 129,000 boats registered in Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach counties.

A series of factors is contributing to the problem:

Waterfront property for marine use has been drying up as developers buy marinas and build waterfront condos.

Existing marina space and dry-stack storage sites are tight, and government regulations limit new construction. Many marinas are full and have waiting lists.

Some marinas and boatyards have been converted into high-end yacht clubs and "rackominiums," which either cater exclusively to yachts or sell slip space. One new dry stack project is selling each space for about $150,000 and up.

Even though some upscale marinas have available space, many families can't afford to pay $500 a month or more in rent.

And while boaters often keep their watercraft on trailers in driveways or backyards, some South Florida cities and gated communities either ban boats or place severe limits on storage at home.

Riverfront Marina on the New River in Fort Lauderdale, with dry storage capacity for 300 boats up to 40 feet long, typifies the region's space shortage.

"I get calls from people almost every day dying to get in," said Dean Ketcham, Riverfront's manger. The marina, which attracts customers in South Florida as well as other parts of the country, has a few spaces open for boats up to 24 feet. But there's a waiting list for larger boats. Rental fees range from $174 to $600 a month, depending on boat size.

Area marine industry leaders are worried the space crunch will turn people away from boating.

"The availability and affordability of storage space is a major concern," said Frank Herhold, executive director of the Marine Industries Association of South Florida, a trade group. "Without storage space, including parking space for trailers at boat ramps, people will be inclined to hang up the boat keys and pick up the golf clubs."

Amy Tolderlund, vice president-elect of the Marine Industries Association of Palm Beach County agreed. "We're losing the working waterfront to [real estate] developers just as quickly as we can blink," she said.

What can be done?

One area boat dealer has found a solution: fine-tuning the business so that average families can keep a boat at home, despite local restrictions on boat storage.

"We used to sell boats up to 28 feet, but we realized customers would have to find a marina or a dry stack," said Joel Feeger, co-owner, with his wife Debbie, of Joel's Outboard Marine in Fort Lauderdale. Many of his customers couldn't find space or didn't want to pay for storage.
So the Feegers stopped selling larger boats and now carry smaller models, usually under 25 feet. "We tried to fit into the South Florida market and we've been able to grow by focusing on getting a boat in a someone's garage," said Feeger, who carries Hewes, Pathfinder, Ranger and Stingray boats.

Feeger sells trailers with adjustable tongues so that they take up less space, allowing customers to squeeze a 20-foot boat in a 23-foot garage.

LocalLinks

On a broader scale, investors and local government officials are taking action, and marine groups are lobbying for new marina construction in South Florida.

The Town of Lake Park in Palm Beach County, for example, last year renovated its marina and provided more space for small and midsized boats. The marina, which charges $675 per month for a 30-foot boat during the winter season, opened 103 new slips for boats from 30 to 60 feet or more and added new parking spaces for trailers. But slips remain only for 60-footers.

Jupiter-based Loggerhead Club & Marina Group bought and refurbished nine marinas in South Florida, providing about 2,400 boat spaces. "We cater mostly to average customers, with boats in the 30- to 70-foot range," said Raymond Graziotto, co-owner of Loggerhead. Six months ago, Loggerhead opened its marina and club in Riviera Beach, which can hold 300 boats up to 50 feet, and about 100 spaces are already reserved. Space for a 30-foot boat costs about $525 a month and Grazziotto expects the Riviera Beach marina to be full by next year.

These and other expansions involve rebuilding old marinas. But building new marinas or expanding beyond existing space zoned for marine activity is on hold because of government regulation. In Broward County, for example, there are about 40 applications for new marinas and expansions before the county government, covering about 6,900 new slips. Some have been waiting three years.

One project in Fort Lauderdale got the go-ahead last week. Lauderdale Marine Center, one of the area's largest marinas and boatyards, secured approval for an 18-acre expansion at a nearby site. But the additional space will be used mainly for megayachts, or luxury vessels measuring 80 feet or more, not small boats.

Other projects remain in limbo, since several layers of state and federal government agencies must approve a master plan for the marine industry before any action can be taken. No one knows when a final decision will be made on South Florida's marine expansion plans, and environmental groups, worried that more motorboats will cause additional manatee deaths, are staunchly opposed to major expansions.

"It's difficult to see things getting much better in the foreseeable future," the South Florida marine group's Herhold said. "This industry has to jump through a gazillion hoops in order to expand"
Old 12-04-2006, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

This is an issue all over the state. In Daytona you can't get rack storage for anything bigger than a 28 foot boat. When I bought a boat for my kids up there I made sure it would fit in the garage of my townhouse to avoid storage issues(so I ended up with a 15 Whaler). My boat in Jupiter is stored in a gated, well lit yard for $66 per month and if I had to pay 500+ a month I would sell the boat! A guy here in town is renting lifts for $1,000 a month for a 12k lift or $1300 for a 16K lift and is pretty much filled to capacity (30 or so lifts). The place where I keep my boat is owned by the HOA which is why it is so cheap and they have a wait list for it.

Between insurance and storage the boating industry is going to be in trouble in FL. Time to find those golf clubs........
Old 12-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Registered

Yep then you got greens fees (Escalating all the time) clubs ,Club membership, Golfing trips, ect...

every thing is expensive

I am working harder to pay for all the stuff today

so is everyone else

it is a fact and is not going away so I guess i will dig in so i can afford it

and work at making it better if i can

Beside i would rather ***** about our legal system going amuck or why we let politicians keep getting raises when there business's (government) is failing LOL

I LOVE BOATING I hate paying for it but what can i do
Old 12-04-2006, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boatme
Damn I hate that I love this sport so much

I have been involved with performance boating for more than 25 years and full time for 5 years (Up until recently)

First off you can' have much more fun than running across some rough water on a hot day with your hair on fire with your offshore boat. It is truly the coolest feeling.

The people in this sport are the absolute best, and the absolute worst. I have seen both sides

My wife was an official for the APBA years ago and I saw the ugly side of racing first hand.

At one time we flew to Washington to look at, and buy a F-2 boat to race. At the last minute backed away from the purchase as we were seeing the class for F-2 eroding and the GLSCS that we were interested in, coming apart

We put on a couple of races where we were the promoters and found the best and worst shine through. The politics and money to put on an event were out of control. We decided to step back for a while

I have co produced the SOTW poker run for 7 years and have seen the best and worst in that arena as well (Mostly good)

I have sold many boat lines -Black Thunder, Chief, Nor Tech, Sunsation, ect... and seen THE WORST and THE BEST here

I have managed a marina, and have seen the best and worst
some people make you wonder how they sleep at night.

Then there are guys like Joe at Sunsation Terry at Nor Tech, and Peter Hleden at Skater make you realize there still is hope for our sport (I have had most personal association with these guys, I am sure their are other great builders out there) I have known Mike Fiore, Reggie Fountain and Randy Scisum through poker runs and a more passionate group of guys you will never find. Skip Braver has a desire to make more people identify with his product (Cigarette) and has done a great job of keeping performance boating in the lime light. Others are working hard to move ahead in our sport Mercury, Ilmor. Konrad, Sterling Livorsi, ect..

There are good Magazines and good webs sites to share our sport with

My point is that we all hear about the bad and focus on that aspect, but all facets have their good sides as well and there is much to like about this sport

Good or bad it won’t change and we should not let it tear us down we should work to keep the sport it alive and make it grow and be safer and more positive in the public eye

Now the thing that gets me is the exposure we do not have!! We have Skate board marathons on TV. We have races that can only be viewed by spectators in one rush as they go buy (Tour De France, Dakar, Drag Races ect..) For cripe sake the Kentucky Derby only last for 3 Minutes and look at the coverage they get!!!

We need TV coverage, Ads, and sponsors. More exposure for the entire sport, the fans will follow. It doesn’t matter if they can see it in front of them; we need to make it visually appealing at the docks, and a carnival atmosphere around the pits, with great TV. This would be better than a grandstand on the beach watching the boats blow by 8 times and not knowing who is in front

I have been to MIS for NASCAR racing and will never go back The walk in the pits was cool, the trailers on the main area full of stuff was fun, but the race was boring and less exciting than a boat race (In my opinion) Still the fans are incredibly loyal
The key here is EXPOSURE for poker runs, races, events, ect... NASCAR does this better than anyone

We need HYPE !! We need TV!! We need CONTINUITY!!! We nee TV!! We need to make it available to all. We need the big boys and the little guys. I remember owning my 21 Scarab watching Don Johnson at a boat race saying I will own a big boat one day!!!! It was all about the hype. We couldn’t see much but the boats blow by a couple of times as they ran many miles away and then back. Still we had an unbelievable amount of spectators on land and in the water. After the race we went to an outdoor concert with top names of the day. (Not naming them it will show how old I am) On the stage, before the concert, they did all the award presentations from the race. This was a festival atmosphere and brought in HUGE crowds

What we need is EXPOSURE and that comes through many media venues but most wildly available should be TV. We need races and poker runs on television weekly not just every once in a while

Ok I am off my soap box

My name is Marc and I am a Performance Boating Addict

- More unification
- More eposure ( TV )
- More hype
- NASCAR is a good model to build from....They have mastered promoting the sport and getting exposure. Although some might not agree, the various groups like OSS and SBI and so on need to unify and work as one unit to promote the sport. The events need to be a bit more spectator friendly so fans (non racers) can see the races.
- Most NASCAR fans can rattle off the top 5 drivers and their current stats easily. Most offshore fans cannot. Again great coverage and IN YOUR FACE HYPE!

Just my .02
Old 12-04-2006, 09:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TSPM
- More unification
- More eposure ( TV )
- More hype
- NASCAR is a good model to build from....They have mastered promoting the sport and getting exposure. Although some might not agree, the various groups like OSS and SBI and so on need to unify and work as one unit to promote the sport. The events need to be a bit more spectator friendly so fans (non racers) can see the races.
- Most NASCAR fans can rattle off the top 5 drivers and their current stats easily. Most offshore fans cannot. Again great coverage and IN YOUR FACE HYPE!

Just my .02
I agree except for "The events need to be a bit more spectator friendly so fans (non racers) can see the races."

This will come but the event surrounding the race will make it fine

In the 80s we had 100,000 spectator boats on the water during an offshore race and they only pased a few times running a course of 70 miles

And at the race my Wife put on (With my help) we had almost as many and that was in 2002 more a 6 mile course but the fans were there regaurdless

BUILD IT !!! THEY WILL COME!!!!

Like i said there are lots of sports that arent spectator friendly but they come for the event atmosphere

The rest will work out the key here is EXPOSURE
Old 12-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatme
Like i said there are lots of sports that arent spectator friendly but they come for the event atmosphere

The rest will work out the key here is EXPOSURE
YUP...thats another reason for heavy TV coverage. You can truly see the sport at its best as well as the skills associated with racing.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I grew up around boats and ships, boating is in my blood. My dad was in the Royal Navy and later a Merchant Marine. After the war he converted old PT boats into pleasure craft. My brother, sisters and I all grew up either helping in the boat yards outside of London or taking trips down the Thames across the Channel or down to Cornwall for the weekend. Nothing sounds cooler than standing between 6 Merlin's when they're wound up!

I had my turn at motocross, road racing, auto racing and flying. Like you guys already said, you can't take a bunch of your friends out for a day of hot laps. There is nothing like spending the day on the water with a good group of friends. Yep gas is going up, so don't run so far.

I've seen boat change in ways I never would have imagined over the years. The sport of performance boating has grown like bigger than I can believe. From this side of the country it looks alive and well for everyone. Small boats up to the big dogs. I hope it levels off about where it is now otherwise our waterways are just going to get too crowded.

Just keeping it real!
Attached Thumbnails Growing our hobby/sport-tn_frisco-2.jpg  
Old 12-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not so much the offshore racing I am talking about...I am concerned with what it seems to me as a lack of 20-30 somethings buying their 1st 22-29' performance boat. Fountain just stopped making the 27 for example and I see a lot less single engine performance boats out on the water.....you NEVER see them in poker runs. It would seem that Poker Runs would want to try to attract this profile of boater and grow them into the sport more.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

i was 21 when i bought my first boat and i got really into it so i wanted something bigger and faster. then i bought my 25 baja outlaw when i was 24. i am now 25 and want to move up.but now im at the piont were i cant. its tough for the 20 somethings to get into the sport because of the money it costs to run. as far as poker runs go, i did my first run in oct. for the lake george poker run and i had the best time of my life but ill tell you what. you get your a$$ handed to you in a 25 footer.

Quick Reply: Growing our hobby/sport

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.