Notices

+

Old 12-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: +

"We all know that powerboaters ONLY report the absolute fastest, least amount of fuel, coldest day, dropped out of a plane, downhill run their boat has EVER seen....and probably add a few just in case."

So true...I always deduct 5 mph from these claims. It's important because you need the real baseline for comparison with improvements such as supercharging.

I had a boat that usually went 82 mph. Sometimes it only went 80 and once, with props that weren't good for anything else but top speed, it went 84. Guess what number I told people?
Old 12-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh crap, I better change my screen name. I only go 98.

But usually in magazines, they use something something like (what the heck) 100-Plus somewhere in the text. They when they reveal the top speed, it comes out as something like 101.2 mph. I've never seen a magazine article where the official top speed is limited as anything with a plus sign. That would be a tad vague.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcat

I had a boat that usually went 82 mph. Sometimes it only went 80 and once, with props that weren't good for anything else but top speed, it went 84. Guess what number I told people?

90 + ?
Old 12-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey, now that you mention it I beat a guy who said his boat went 90+, so I guess that's right!
Old 12-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We use the +/- symbol on machining drawings to denote a tolerance factor.
When used in car/boat/motorcycle tests they mean that your findings be it speed/drag ET/weight/top speed or whatever will vary due to different conditions.
Many a magazine has claimed top speeds and had owners write in that they either exceed the claim or never get that speed. They use it to CYA.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta say that I have never seen a magazine, any magazine list a top speed in a review as any number with a "plus" sign. Not Hotboat, not Powerboat, not Speedboat, not Boating. Again, they might use that expression as part of the text, but they all list an official top speed, usually down to the tenth of a mile an hour.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I am saying I haven't seen it. And in the boating mags, and I get them all, you'd have to show me an example.

As for people just talking? Please. As I said, my screen name is 100-Plus.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say upper 80's.You know between 85 and 90.Wind, weight, waves, screaming crew,load of fuel, fat azz wife all cause my speeds to be inconsisent.Honest injun